Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
slc450 c107 1973
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing chain is very noisy and you here it on start up and idle. It's done 160,000k.
Can anyone tell me how bigger job it is? does the chain have to be renewed or can you tighten the tension on it? My slk is non kompressor.
Can anyone send me the instructions from the workshop manual on how to do it?
If I have to I will. Please advise wise people from the USA.:p

·
1998 SLK 230
2,596 Posts
attached are PDF's from a shop manual. what brand of oil & weight of oil are you running in the car? and are you sure its the chain and not anything else?

not sure if this is DIY as there are a fair few tools which are special one off dealer tools for this job. would it be worth it investing in these tools for a one off job?

fairly big job to do...

Attachments

·
1998 SLK 230
2,596 Posts
that sort of start up noise is caused by probably lifters or tappets. doubt its the chain.... the weight and brand of oil will make a difference.

most people here use Mobil 1 0w40 fully synthetic.

·
Registered
slc450 c107 1973
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the pdf's. I haven't taken it to a mechanic yet. Just a guess. I did change the oil recently but I'm not sure what it was. You could be right it might be the oil then.
I'll get my Son to listen to it as he's a mechanic. I just tried to sell it and a guy who was test driving it said he thought it sounded like the chain. I guess he could be trying to find a big fault for a big discount. I hear a rattling noise. I'll get it checked by a Merc Mechanic if Son doesn't come up with anything.

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
I see quite a bit of comment in the W202 forum about the plastic chain guides breaking and causing problems - any SLK members experienced any of this?

Oberoi

·
Registered
slc450 c107 1973
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was the water pump making the rattle. Bearing stuffed I guess. It seemed to have allot of movement and so it's only costing me $115 NZ for the part and son it doing the job so that's a real cheap fix. Thanks to all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts