Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not what you are thinking.

I was leaving work the other day and several people were standing outside talking as I got in the car and put the top down. One of the womes face lit up in wonder watching tha ballet of the top. She had seen the car on a number of occasions but never realized it was a convertible. She thought it was the neatest thing.

I know many other people have experienced it but this is the first time I have gotten the reaction to this extent.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
On many occasions, but mostly when the SLK was a new thing on the market. I was stopped in front of a Deli. not too far from home, and when the wife got out to get something I lowered the roof. It actually drew a crowd, I "had" to put the roof up and down two more times before she got back. Some fun hey..... [:D] I still get smiles when folks see the roof go up and down ... [:p] [;)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Yesterday was the first day that we had in the 50’s this year. The sun was shinning and the birds where singing. My wife actually saw a butterfly while walking the dog. What a great day to wash the car by hand, you know, get a feel for it for the first time. I whipped up my normal brew of washing materials along with my new fangled Mr. Clean car wash machine and gave my baby a good scrubbing. After Merlin dried off, I polished his tires and we’re ready for a road trip. Yep, it was tax day, we get our taxes done by our brother in law a couple hours away each year. Its always a good time, we get to his office, do our thing and then we take him out to eat at his favorite restaurant.

Before we got on the highway, we had to stop for gas. The Hess station in town is new and its always crowded because they’re undercutting everyone’s gas prices for high octane gas. When we arrive, I have to select a lane and get in line. There’s my spot! A single car already at the pump with no one behind her, sweet! Without haste I pull up behind her. Oh God, what a mistake that was, for what was before me was a somewhat large-type farmer girl with THE most horrific hair that I’ve ever seen on a person. I mean, this girl with all due respect was already banging a minus one on my peni-erecti-scale. She had dark dark roots on top with blond hair everywhere else. She had a piercing in her eyebrow, another one in her nose, another one in her lip. I bet you that her parents want to just die. My wife is in shock, she’s sitting in the car with her mouth open, I hear a whisper, “are those her pajamas�? I’m all for people wanting to do their own thing, but if you’re looking for a reaction, then don’t be surprised when you get one. Getting on with the reason your reading this story, this woman / girl / confused person starts washing her car with the gas stations window squeegee thing. Great! I’m in the wrong line hahaha, I could hear my dead father’s advice echoing in my mind…�patience boy, patience�.

I casually look around the station and everyone in the area was looking at my car! I was like, woe, this is cool. I mean everyone! There’s two women in the passenger seats of their cars staring, a couple guys pumping gas and the two employees inside the building looking out at us. (Wink) Its show time! I pull back on the roof button and the top starts to descend into the trunk. On its way down I could see the glass in my mirror catch the sun and start sparkling. Women love things that sparkle. Once the top was down this guy comes walking by the car and says “nice day for that�! I responded kindly with yes it is, I just wish my hair was as short as yours so it would get so messed up. I’m in between hair cuts and I was looking kinda frizzy. Hey, I don’t work, what’s the rush, right? We finally got our gas and went on our way. The rest of the day was filled with more compliments from the employees at the Boston Market where we stopped and ate. We parked with the top down and the windows up. Each employee that was interested in my car took turns to go outside and look at the car a little closer. We watched people walk by it while parked and it was as if we had a Ferrari parked there. I swear it drew so much attention, I wish I could film it and play it back here when people ask if getting the SLK is the right choice. On the highway a Mustang GT wanted to show us how bad he was, but he found out that if you play with the big dogs you’d better be a big dog! Even with the top down the car zoomed to 140 as if it was going from 0-80. It just felt strong. We didn’t hold the speed long, it was just long enough to put the guy in the rear view mirror with about a ¼ mile distance between us.

Anyway, that was my day. The only complaint that I had was that the darn black screen thingie that goes behind the seats on the roll bar cuts into my rear view mirror exactly halfway in the mirror I get this thick black bar. I stopped and looked to see if it made sense to put it on from the back side of the roll bars, but it seems to me like its attached the way that we had it on the inside. I might have to invest into those clear ones that I see you guys using. The problem now is what one? And, who’s going to put it in for me?

John

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
i'll install it if you fly me out and buy me a beer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts