Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain how the service advisor in my wife's SLK operates? I'm really wondering if it works off time, mileage, or both. Heres the story,we bought my wife a new SLK 350 in April of 2006(car rocks she loves it:D ). She drove it until approximately October when I put it in storage until the end of March(we live in Wisconsin,so it doesn't see the winter). About a week ago the Service B reminder came on and the car only has 3600 miles on it. I know it supposed to have something like a 13000 mile oil change intervial and I had just the oil changed at 1000 miles (old habits die hard). Dealer wants 420 USD for a service B. What gives? Am I looking at this the wrong way or does it seem excessive?
 

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
Who changed the oil at 1000miles? Some say these cars come with a special brake in oil which must be used for the first 10k miles.

Apparently, the SLK has a feature where it sets a first service at around 3000 miles. It's only used to check that everything is running fine, and shouldn't cost quite that much...

They don't use the this check interval in Switzerland (my car had it disabled, my first service was at 10k miles), but it seems to be normal for US cars.
 

·
Registered
06' SLK350
Joined
·
2,315 Posts
Yeah, first 3000-5000 miles is the initial complementary free checkup, I had that done and asked to changed the oil and fiter while they are checking, cost for the oil and filter change was $100, the service advisor kept telling me it's not necessary, the oil is clean but I wanted to change it out anyways at my own cost. My plan is to change oil every year b/c it'll take me forever to get the 13,000 miles.
 

·
Registered
SLK 350
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
Ynot, I did the same as you with my first oil change, 3,000 miles and I'll change it once a year (before I put it away for the winter). I also don't drive it 13,000 miles per year. I may be wasting my money but it is MY money and I would never go 13,000 miles between changes no matter what M/B says.
 

·
Registered
SLK350
Joined
·
834 Posts
You absolutely do not need Service B if you only have 3600 miles on the clock. I did my Service B at 26000 miles and 1.3 years of ownership. Just get an oil change for $190. They just want an extra $200 to tell you that your brake pads are at 80%, and all hoses are functional. What BS.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
slktyperice said:
They just want an extra $200 to tell you that your brake pads are at 80%, and all hoses are functional.
Don't forget! They also check your fluid levels for that amount. LOL.
 

·
Registered
R171 SLK 350
Joined
·
295 Posts
YOUR fluid levels? wow that is PERSONAL service. probably explains the cost :)
 

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
Joined
·
100 Posts
Shinigami said:
Who changed the oil at 1000miles?
I did the first oil change at 1,000 miles also. I plan on changing every 5,000 miles.

Duo-Art said:
I may be wasting my money but it is MY money and I would never go 13,000 miles between changes no matter what M/B says.
I'll second that.

In my opinion these extended oil change/service intervals are geared towards owners who lease the vehicles and never intend to keep them for 200,000+ miles. They only expect to put 36,000 - 50,000 miles on the car and turn it back in.

Changing the oil costs $70 (Mobil 1 & Mann filter) and takes me 30 minutes. That's very cheap and easy insurance. After forking over ~$45K why would I worry about an extra $70/yr to help insure the car lasts as long as I plan on owning it?

I'll do the Tranny service every 30,000 and serpentine belt/coolant/plugs at 50,000.

I can't believe MB wants you to leave the coolant in for 143,000 miles!


Shinigami said:
Some say these cars come with a special brake in oil which must be used for the first 10k miles.
I couldn't find anything to support that (maybe I just missed it ?). I think the best break in oil is clean oil. But that's just my opinion, people should do as they feel is best for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for the input. Figured I was the only one who changed his oil at 1000 miles on a new car. Glad to hear others have done it also. Ynot and Duo-Art I think i'll follow your leads and change it every year as it's going to take us forever to drive 13000 miles per year. I think i'll just take it in and have them change the oil only. I already check my own fluids, etc. The service department also stated they will "rotate the tires":confused: I didn't think you could rotate the tires on an SLK because they were different sizes. I think they are feeding me a line of BS.

For all you guys that change your own oil how do you reset the computer?
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
X-1 said:
The service department also stated they will "rotate the tires":confused: I didn't think you could rotate the tires on an SLK because they were different sizes. I think they are feeding me a line of BS.
You're right. They were.
 

·
Registered
SLK 350
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
It sounds like they want to rotate your bank account, from you to them. I really believe that all manufacturers over schedule visits for the sole purpose of making more money for the dealers.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
Duo-Art said:
It sounds like they want to rotate your bank account, from you to them. I really believe that all manufacturers over schedule visits for the sole purpose of making more money for the dealers.
I totally agree. Most service departments are the largest profit centers for a dealership, followed by used car sales. New car sales usually bring up the rear.
 

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
Joined
·
3,560 Posts
danketchpel said:
I couldn't find anything to support that (maybe I just missed it ?). I think the best break in oil is clean oil. But that's just my opinion, people should do as they feel is best for them.
Of course, go ahead and change the oil if it brings you peace of mind. I haven't found any proof that the first oil is a break-in oil, but there's been a lot of talk about it.

Also, engines and the oils used these days are not what we had 20 years ago. Modern cars will run just fine at 10k oil changes, anything more frequent is overkill, at least according to a lot of sources.

I've read reports that a lot of those 3k-5k oil changes is stuff from that past that people can't let go of... but hey, like I said, if it brings you peace of mind, it's not exactly going to hurt now is it.

At this point, you might want to invest in a few tools and do it yourself. This way it won't cost you an arm and a leg to change your oil ;) (and don't let quick lube places change the oil for you).
 

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
Joined
·
100 Posts
Shinigami said:
like I said, if it brings you peace of mind, it's not exactly going to hurt now is it.
That's sort of how I feel. I have read the science on it and understand dillution/break down rates etc., but have come to realize that it's still very cheap insurance. I completely agree that people should do what they feel is right for them.


Shinigami said:
At this point, you might want to invest in a few tools and do it yourself.
Already done. I do my own changes. I already had a vacuum oil changer that I use on my 4-stroke PWCs and our forklift at work. All I needed was the factory oil filter wrench which I picked up from a local MB dealer for ~$19. Like I said, it takes about 30 minutes and is super easy. I buy the Mann filter kits online from germanfilters.com $15/kit.
 

·
Registered
06' SLK350
Joined
·
2,315 Posts
X-1 said:
For all you guys that change your own oil how do you reset the computer?
Good practice to change it out every year, $100 isn't very much, I change my SUV's (DD) every 5K miles at $35 per visit, 3X a year. My local dealer has coupons you can print out for $100 oil and filter change. I can do it myself but the price difference isn't much, I'd rather have the dealer do it as they can reset the computer with SDS. I think you can reset it yourself, IIRC.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
Ynot said:
I'd rather have the dealer do it as they can reset the computer with SDS. I think you can reset it yourself, IIRC.
Do you know if they use one of those hand held "thingamajigs" like they use with the BMWs? You plug it in, press a few buttons, watch the lights sequence from red to green, and "voila" the maintenance reminder is re-set?
 

·
Registered
06' SLK350
Joined
·
2,315 Posts
NewMB said:
Do you know if they use one of those hand held "thingamajigs" like they use with the BMWs? You plug it in, press a few buttons, watch the lights sequence from red to green, and "voila" the maintenance reminder is re-set?
I don't know, that's a danslk question? I was in the showroom checking out other benzes.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top