Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

The picture I have attached is my not so beautiful SLK, I have spent a fortune on restoring it, but I am now stuck with the roof not opening. My mechanic has had a go at sorting out the roof, but it fails to open, I have also tried a car electrician, but no joy, I had it checked by local Mercedes garage and they confirmed that because it was hit, the roof might have been misaligned when the mechanic was repairing. They say the roof might never open again. Please SLKer's Does any one know who can help me overide the sensor so that the roof open or alligned all the joints and carnnies so that it autoamtically works, or is there another system i can install to open this roof. Mercedes are not helping on this... The SLK is no good to me if I cannot have the roof down during summer. I am really in a jam; I bought the car from auction and didn’t know how important the alignment is due to some sensor. I would really be grateful if anyone can save me from the embarrassment of the only slk in this world that the roof doesn’t open.

PS

I have all the pictures before and after its been repaired

Cheers

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Where are you located?

No picture is attached?

I take it you are not talking about the R171?

You purchased the car at an auction knowing it had been wrecked?

·
Registered
1998 LHD SLK 200
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the damage was on the side panel, so i had no inclination the roof will be affected. I am in London UK. But surely there must be way of over riding the sensor or make them less sensitive so as to allow the roof to fold or simply open manually

Mark

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
markodu - 4/5/2005 3:01 PM

well the damage was on the side panel, so i had no inclination the roof will be affected. I am in London UK. But surely there must be way of over riding the sensor or make them less sensitive so as to allow the roof to fold or simply open manually

Mark
You still have not said if this is the R171 or not.

However, in my manual for the R171, it states that even if there is a malfunction while the roof is being raised or lowered, there is no manual way to raise or lower the roof and, in fact, it could be dangerous to attempt to do so and should be taken directly to the dealer. Know this is not what you wanted to hear, but, at least in the US, there are so many safety concerns and liability issues that I would not expect that the sensors could be overridden and the roof allowed to operate manually.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Yikes, that's scary

I am just about NEVER someplace where a partly-open partly-closed top would be a good thing.

Do these things malfunction when they haven't been crashed into? Often? In mid-open?

Very scary. I don't need a $5x,000 car with a partly open top.

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
All you need to do is stop to open the roof. it seems to stop when I start moving, as does my DVD player, so the idea it works up to 5 mph or whatver speed doesnt seem to apply to me.
I have been caught a couple of times at the lights. Drop the roof, light turns green, ooops. Just gotta wait and finish dropping the roof

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
RE: Yikes, that's scary

RonJeffries - 4/6/2005 4:28 AM

I am just about NEVER someplace where a partly-open partly-closed top would be a good thing.

Do these things malfunction when they haven't been crashed into? Often? In mid-open?

Very scary. I don't need a $5x,000 car with a partly open top.
I have never heard of a problem personally but I, as with all electronics, suppose it can happen. I find it hard to believe that you can raise and lower the roof everyday (or several times a day) and nothing will ever go wrong. So being concerned about what I would do if the roof got stuck opening or closing, I looked in the manual for a way to close it manually (oh, maybe that is why they call it a manual[:D]).

The manual (page 377) states that if the roof malfunctions, the roof hydraulics will lose pressure and the roof is lowered (I take this to mean closed as opposed to open since they go on to say to lock the roof before continuing to drive). But then it states "Manually closing the retractable hardtop is a complicated and technically demanding procedure and should only be performed by an authorized MB Center or qualified technician. Attempting to manually close the retractable hardtop may cause damage to the hardtop and/or personal injury"[:0]

Thus, my response to the original question, was no he cannot overide the electronics and just manually open and close the hardtop.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
btw: his SLK is an R170. The personal injure can happen from having your fingers clenched between the metal legs of the roof while moving it around. Gotta be careful with that thing. And you really need two people to do it because if you lift it from one side without having equal force lifted from the other side of the car, the roof system might become unbalanced and twist (not sure how strong the whole system is, but it's probably not enough).

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
On the R170, there was a section in the manual on how to raise/lower the roof manually. As Shinigami said, it needs 2 people to do it effectively, and it was a very complex procedure. The bits for doing it are on the R171 (i.e. blanking plate in the headlining, various controls hidden behind the boot trim etc.) but MB must have decided it is no longer a customer option - great when you're miles away from the nearest stealer, but they reckon they have cycled the roof up/down over 20,000 times without a problem - just hope I never get caught[:0][:0]

(edited cos i can never get Shinigami's name right [:I] - is it Swiss-Japanese?? pls elucidate!)

·
Registered
R171
215 Posts
You made me think of something.....is that what the square of polythene stored with the spare tyre is for? Perhaps we deploy the polythene over the open car, cut a hole out for the driver and then race to the dealer! Haven't found the reel of gaffer tape needed to complete the job yet!

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Woolly - 4/6/2005 3:29 PM

(edited cos i can never get Shinigami's name right [:I] - is it Swiss-Japanese?? pls elucidate!)
Japanese. It's a kanji translation of my real name, which is Finnish (I come from Finland, but live in Switzerland, and I'm quite a fan of Japan... go figure).

Just say it in two bits, 'shini' and 'gami'. See, easy [:D]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts