Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 194 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, My name is Dave Evans and I am in the UK. I provide assistance to our Club members (SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK) - we have 2.7k members, I look at structure and corrosion issues on members vehicles)). Our members have had serious issues with the rear subframes on Mercedes SLK R171 models built between 2005 and 2008, there was no anti-corrosion treatment applied to the inside of the rear subframes during production, so they have rotted from the Inside - out so, when you can see corrosion on the outside of the subframe, it's too late! I have been working with over 60 members of our group alone, who have subframe corrosion issues. We have had 9 subframes collapse whilst being driven, fortunately, no serious injuries or deaths (most collapsed at low speed, fortunately) We are the only Club over here that has had any success is challenging MBUK with regard to rear subframe replacement. Up to now, we have succeeded in getting MB to replace 30 rear subframes FOC (Free Of Charge) and I am still working with over 30 members helping them with the subframe issues by providing Information Sheets, data, and further help sheets as their claims progress! We are fortunate over here in the UK that we have Ministry of Transport Tests (MOT's) annually which pick up a number of these subframe issues, we, as a Club have set up a help scheme where members can approach me for information on the procedures and process for making a claim and I provide a 'Rear Subframe Replacement Information Sheet' which covers the initial contact with MB, a draft email, description of the process, etc. for members to use for their claims. Should there be any further issues with the claim, I have further Information sheets that escalate the process. My cousin lives in the US and he has sent me some info on the issues with Mercedes over there, that sound very similar to our experiences over here. I wondered if Mercedes Owners Club in the US were having any success in challenging MB and having things like the rear subframe corrosion issues addressed FOC? If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to contact me? I am not sure how your site works, whether I need to include my email or not? I can be contacted through our Club site 'SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK'. you will bare in mind that the information I have relates to the UK I think I have identified the US Customer Assistance details off the MB site and I suppose that you know your individual local Dealerships? that is where the UK information will have to be converted to US information! All the work I do regarding the corrosion issues, is done by me alone, so, as you will appreciate, I am currently working with our Club members so, I apologise in advance of any delays in my responses! I look forward to hearing from BenzWorld and it's members - Best Regards Dave Evans SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
check my W204 posts in sub frame fail. I almost died. I'm here to help.
Hi thesunscreens, It's good to hear from someone from your side of the pond :) I am aware of the subframe issues with a variety of Mercedes models that also suffer from rotting rear subframes. My work over here in the UK has been mainly concerned with owners, in our Club, of SLK R171 models built between 2005 and 2008 although we have had issues with 2004 models too. We have been lucky so far, non of our owners of the 9 SLK's that had their subframes collapse were injured, as they were generally only going slowly at the time. I am only currently working with members of our Club with the R171 models, and have just started working with a further 4 members yesterday, we have had success in getting over 30 members' subframes changed FOC since January this year and, I am currently working with over 30 owners who are at varying stages through the process of claiming. As I am retired, this gives me something to do to keep my mind active :) I have used my experiences of claiming for and, getting my subframe changed FOC back in November 2020 to develop an information sheet on how to start the process, with a draft email to use, and how to progress the claim. From some of the owners experiences, I have developed 'Stage2' information if Mercedes Benz Customer Support UK (MBCS UK) started to get a bit awkward with the number of claims our members were making. I also accumulated a large amount of information from various sources to use as needed! With our group, I just ask that they Personal Message (PM) me with their email addresses so that I can email the Information Sheets out to them, that way they can 'cut and paste' their information into the draft email to send off to MBCS UK. There is a Mercedes Benz Customer Assist in the US from what I have been able to find on the MBUSA site but I am sure that US members will know that! I do not charge for the work I do as I feel that owners deserve to be treated fairly! Over here we have MOT's Ministry of Transport Tests which examine all vehicles which does, eventually, find the rotten subframes. As the subframes rot from the inside -out, the outside structure doesn't show deterioration until it's too late! (I have suggested that our owners purchase a cheap Endoscope off eBay and examine their own subframes for their own peace of mind). From what I have been able to piece together, the reason that the subframes rot from the inside out is because the subframes were not rust-proofed inside during the production process so, they rot from inside - it doesn't help that the forward boot seal drains run out into the subframe. As I said in the initial message, I am happy to help US owners if I can, but, I will apologise in advance that due to time differences etc and that I am doing this on my own, there may be some time delays in my responses. I am currently rewording the initial emails and US contact information which should be completed next week (around the 8 October 2021). I look forward to working with SLK owners over there in the USA. I would suppose that, if owners of other Mercedes Models (that weren't 'Recalled') would like to do something similar, they may be able to use modified versions of the information sheets to pursue their own claims - As you will appreciate as a one man army, I couldn't hope to help with those claims but, I could offer advice if someone over in the US would be prepared to interact with their members? I hope that our SLK Owner Club can work with BenzWorld and get good outcomes for its members? Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Folks, My name is Dave Evans and I am in the UK. I provide assistance to our Club members (SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK) - we have 2.7k members, I look at structure and corrosion issues on members vehicles)). Our members have had serious issues with the rear subframes on Mercedes SLK R171 models built between 2005 and 2008, there was no anti-corrosion treatment applied to the inside of the rear subframes during production, so they have rotted from the Inside - out so, when you can see corrosion on the outside of the subframe, it's too late! I have been working with over 60 members of our group alone, who have subframe corrosion issues. We have had 9 subframes collapse whilst being driven, fortunately, no serious injuries or deaths (most collapsed at low speed, fortunately) We are the only Club over here that has had any success is challenging MBUK with regard to rear subframe replacement. Up to now, we have succeeded in getting MB to replace 30 rear subframes FOC (Free Of Charge) and I am still working with over 30 members helping them with the subframe issues by providing Information Sheets, data, and further help sheets as their claims progress! We are fortunate over here in the UK that we have Ministry of Transport Tests (MOT's) annually which pick up a number of these subframe issues, we, as a Club have set up a help scheme where members can approach me for information on the procedures and process for making a claim and I provide a 'Rear Subframe Replacement Information Sheet' which covers the initial contact with MB, a draft email, description of the process, etc. for members to use for their claims. Should there be any further issues with the claim, I have further Information sheets that escalate the process. My cousin lives in the US and he has sent me some info on the issues with Mercedes over there, that sound very similar to our experiences over here. I wondered if Mercedes Owners Club in the US were having any success in challenging MB and having things like the rear subframe corrosion issues addressed FOC? If there is anything I can do to help, please don't hesitate to contact me? I am not sure how your site works, whether I need to include my email or not? I can be contacted through our Club site 'SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK'. you will bare in mind that the information I have relates to the UK I think I have identified the US Customer Assistance details off the MB site and I suppose that you know your individual local Dealerships? that is where the UK information will have to be converted to US information! All the work I do regarding the corrosion issues, is done by me alone, so, as you will appreciate, I am currently working with our Club members so, I apologise in advance of any delays in my responses! I look forward to hearing from BenzWorld and it's members - Best Regards Dave Evans SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK
Hi Dave i have a problem with my 2006 slk only had it since june this year just had its mot and failed due to rear subframe my number is 07817232533 if we could have a chat . Regards Darren.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Darren, I have texted you my contact details and requested your email address so that I can email the Rear Subframe Replacement Information Sheet Speak to you soon Dave :)
Dave,

Please would you be so kind as to share the information you have with me.

My wife got delivered the sad news last week. Her 56 plate went in to a main dealer for a recall, replace drivers airbag module. They carried out a full health check and highlighted subframe corrosion, giving a price of £1700, to replace. Advising a MOT failure. Bad timing as the MOT was actually due a few days later. It passed on advisory for the subframe and the tester said he would have not picked up on the corrosion as it is very light, only the yellow chalk marks highlighted the issue.

I then spoke to my trusted Mercedes independent servicing garage and their advice without seeing in the flesh, only the health check video would be to take of the road. Beyond economical repair. To be fair they do want to see the car for a full assessment. They did mention persue Mercedes to replace. We really don’t want to scrap the car.
Regards Jason

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
HI Jayttapp, I have sent you a copy of the Rear Subframe Replacement Information Sheet to your email. read the full text of the message as well as the Info Sheet. If you have any questions or need guidance or help, just email me and I will help as best i can. If there are any issues with Dealerships or MBCS UK just contact me I have a substantial amount to data and escalating claim processes, should the Stage 1 claim form not be successful. :) I am here to help so just email me. Regards, Dave Evans

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
check my W204 posts in sub frame fail. I almost died. I'm here to help.
Hi thesunscreens, thanks for the offer, This is an issue that needs to be brought more to the front, people are at risk of accidents due to subframes collapsing, in our R171 club we have had 11 subframes collapse whilst the vehicles are being driven. I have worked with or am currently working with 111 owners atm and we have had 46 owners of 171's in our Club alone, who have had their subframes changed FOC by Mercedes Dealerships in the UK.
I had an article printed in the Sundial Magazine a couple of months ago, highlighting the issue with rear subframes.
In an English version of the Service Supplement Document I have been sent by a member of the AMG Private Lounge, regarding rear subframes: S135.00-P-0009A Service Information: Supplement to notes in maintenance documents on rear axle. Issued 05-11-2018. (according MBCS UK not available on the UK database and, they say that "they cannot affirm that the document related to UK Models"???) this shows that MB have known about rear subframe corrosion issues for some time and, it lists a number of models that are affected by corroded rear subframes , these include: 171, 172, 203, 204, 205, 207, 209, 212, 218, 231, 253 Models it would appear that these are susceptible to collapse from what I have seen on UK, European and USA Forum.
What we need to do is to get this information out there to owners who could be at risk!! Any help in this would be a positive move that could save lives!! Thanks thesinscreens distribute this information throughout your Group :) Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I have just had my MOT done and it’s failed due to this issue. I love my car and I don’t wanna have to part with it can you help me out please my email is [email protected] thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Dave, You may have seen my post on this, just had the rear sub-frame rot result in an MOT failure - any chance you could send through any advice/info you have to progess with MB??

Many Thanks

John

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Dave, You may have seen my post on this, just had the rear sub-frame rot result in an MOT failure - any chance you could send through any advice/info you have to progess with MB??

Many Thanks

John
Hi John, send me your email address and I will forward the rear subframe replacement information sheet to you, not sure if you can find me on the Club site? SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK or if you want to post it here? Speak to you soon, Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi John, send me your email address and I will forward the rear subframe replacement information sheet to you, not sure if you can find me on the Club site? SLKOWNERSCLUB.CO.UK or if you want to post it here? Speak to you soon, Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the reply, email addrerss is [email protected]

I am hoping to be able to get the local dealer to inspect the sub-frame and try to get them to agree a warranty repair.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated

Thanks

John B

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI Dave
I have an SLK350 2005 model year and it has been main Mercedes dealer serviced since new and it has just failed the MOT with a hole in the rear subframe. The car was serviced back in the summer of 2021 and they did an under the car walk around video without highlighting the defect at this point. Please can you send me any information you have to make a claim for FOC repair by MB. If I have to pay for the repair the car will be a right off.
Thank you
Jason

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI Dave
I have an SLK350 2005 model year and it has been main Mercedes dealer serviced since new and it has just failed the MOT with a hole in the rear subframe. The car was serviced back in the summer of 2021 and they did an under the car walk around video without highlighting the defect at this point. Please can you send me any information you have to make a claim for FOC repair by MB. If I have to pay for the repair the car will be a right off.
Thank you
Jason
My e-mail address is [email protected]

1 - 20 of 194 Posts