Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SL500, 2004 SLK32 AMG
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the vein of community toward others here, it should be known that David Omaley , aka Dave OH, is not a legitimate seller. After paying him a significant amount for parts to be shipped, he has practically dropped off the face of the planet, will not respond to e-mails or postings. I was reluctant to post this message, but after further consideration, I thought it might help someone else avoid this happening to them. Additionally, I found via the corvette forum that I am likely one of several who have been scammed. Google Dave Omaley and you can see for yourself. If anyone has contact info or similar experience with him, please share.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Post his details, city, address there are a lot of slick people in this forum that can find him for you.
People are pretty easy to find these days.
Once you find him send a letter to his local police department with his details and details of the transaction and you will prolly get a response. I believe theft over the net is considered wire fraud. May be wrong and I am sure someone here will correct me if I am.

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
Well I can say this I have been a member here since 03 and this is only the second case of failure to deliver goods that I can remember.

The first was a guy selling short antennas but I believe he made good eventually on all the orders.

We have or used to have a pretty tight group. Most of the old members have gone though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have absolutely found this to be a terrific forum and my intent with this thread is to help keep it that way by letting others know about my encounter. As I see it, if I didn't make others aware I'd be assisting in this guy's sham. If this guy makes it right, I will by all means post it for all to see. I did make the transaction through Paypal and have an open claim at the moment. I've purchased all over the Internet and never had an issue like this. I suppose I'll find out if the Paypal protection is everything they advertise it to be. The lousy part of this is that in the meantime my car project is on halt until I get it resolved.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a quick update: still no response from Dave OH, my SLK is sitting in the garage minus the bumper I paid him for. Looks like his weekend will be much better than mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Gakz, yes I'm pretty sure that's him. I've done some research on legal options and I'm currently waiting to see how the Paypal claim plays out. If it doesn't work out, I'll have to start the legal proceedings. Hopefully I'll get my funds back and just call it a bad day at the races. I've sent this guy e-mails and Facebook messages multiple times per day and get nothing back, and I can see that he has been on FB only a few hours ago. I'm also pretty sure he views this thread as a guest. I've even messaged some of his FB friends and asked them to have him contact me...nothing. I've got enough frequent flyer miles to go to the moon, maybe I'll use some for a trip to Greensboro.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It occurred to me today that I never posted finality on this thread. After making posts to another forum where I found him active, he responded that he had a death in the family and that the parts were all boxed up sitting in his living room, just needed to take to the bus station to ship them. Well, he never made it to the bus station and I've not heard from him again in spite of several more attempts to reach him.
I did have the foresight to conduct the transaction through Paypal. They did exactly what they advertise and I was able to get my funds back. Basically, they tried to contact the seller and gave him 10 days to respond, which he never did. In the end, I got my money back - kudos to Paypal. Just wanted to post the end result of this story.

·
Registered
18 cars . . yes true. Only MB is '98 SLK230
136 Posts
Not only is Paypal helpful in some cases, but paying with a credit card through Paypal gives you another line of defense. The credit card companies will many times back you up when paypal will not. I have run across that.

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,419 Posts
Paypal can be helpful to a buyer. However, they take 3 – 4% for each transaction from the seller. Ebay bought Paypal, then forced practically everyone on eBay to use Paypal. Ebay charges sellers 10% for most transactions. So eBay costs a seller about 14% now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts