Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

I've been a member of the forum for a while now
I am the proud owner of a 2001 r170 slk 200 kompresser,but I want to change it to a 2001\02 cl 500\600. I was wondering what you thought
What are the pitfalls and if you think it's a good idea at all. I look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks

Slk2000

·
Registered
2001 CL500 2006 E350 4-matic
611 Posts
Hi guys

I've been a member of the forum for a while now
I am the proud owner of a 2001 r170 slk 200 kompresser,but I want to change it to a 2001\02 cl 500\600. I was wondering what you thought
What are the pitfalls and if you think it's a good idea at all. I look forward to hearing your opinions. Thanks

Slk2000
The CL 500 or 600 are completly different cars from a 2 liter SLK....The pitfalls are the maintenance costs - especially the ABC system. But the benefits are tremendous - power, luxury, room, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1970 w109 6.3, 2014 ML350 (petrol) AMG kitted, 2004 Vito 115 crewbus, 2003 CL600 V12 bi-turbo
403 Posts
There is no comparison whatsoever between a 200SLK and a W215 CL except for the star on the bonnet (hood). The CL600 twin turbo (2003 onward) is compared with other 'super cars' and requires a super amount of money to keep it running if / when things go wrong.
But - as mentioned - these are the most incredible cars in the world to drive. It all depends what you want out of a car.
If going for a pre 2003 - I would start with a V8 CL500 as it is slightly less complicated.

·
Registered
02 S500
111 Posts
i agree with star follower , v12's are good just make sure you have money to maintain them . now 01-02 cl600/s600 had the m137 non turbo v12.....lemme tell you they are a wallet eater!! big issue with that motor is oil cooler leak, which requires top half of engine to come off, like intake manifold , cylinder heads etc.. the oil cooler plate sits right underneath the heads...bad design but it is what it is. like $4000 repair. coil pack issues causing misfires, and then abc suspension is costly when it breaks as well, the 500 engine is rock solid . mercedes top model in coupe, but just do your research be4 buying one, goodluck

·
Registered
CL
30 Posts
Go test drive one...
After driving one you wont be able to resist buying one......

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
The CL 500 or 600 are completly different cars from a 2 liter SLK....The pitfalls are the maintenance costs - especially the ABC system. But the benefits are tremendous - power, luxury, room, etc. etc.
I agree! If you are buying an out of warranty 600, budget around $5,000 per year for maintenance/repairs with an occasional $10,000 year. You would be better off buying a newer model year with a warranty unless you can find one that already has all the ABC components replaced.

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
My 2000 CL500 has been pretty good to me after 7 Years. Coming up on 100K miles and its my Daily Driver. It eats brakes and tires. But no ABC issues since pump back at 27K miles. The CL500 Motor and Trans is rock solid. Replaced Ball Joints and the Flex Disc.
Plugs and all the usual high mileage stuff. But unless you got deep pockets I would stay away from anything V12 and if you got some extra cash get the CL55.

·
Registered
2004 CL500
362 Posts
My 2000 CL500 has been pretty good to me after 7 Years. Coming up on 100K miles and its my Daily Driver. It eats brakes and tires. But no ABC issues since pump back at 27K miles. The CL500 Motor and Trans is rock solid. Replaced Ball Joints and the Flex Disc.
Plugs and all the usual high mileage stuff. But unless you got deep pockets I would stay away from anything V12 and if you got some extra cash get the CL55.
Awesome! Mine too- tires, brakes, oil changes (that's it). The pump was replaced on mine around 30k miles. Any idea how many miles on yours when the flex disc needed to be replaced?

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
Awesome! Mine too- tires, brakes, oil changes (that's it). The pump was replaced on mine around 30k miles. Any idea how many miles on yours when the flex disc needed to be replaced?
Did Flexdisk and Ball joints last year. So about 90K Miles. My Ball joints had been squeaky for awhile though. When it was real dry the car would "Creek" when going over bumps.
Handles better with them replaced too.

Right now mine has the Current Drain trick. Every once in awhile after sitting for 4-5 days. No start. So been trickle charging it before I drive it. Maybe time for another battery too.

My CL is a good car still. But when it starts chewing up money its going to be adios time.
Looking at maybe gettin a used CLS this time. But going to keep my SL55 for another 2 years at least. Its a bit more expensive to maintain. But is just so much more car. Its worth the extra expense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts