Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

As you may have read I have just ordered an SLK 280. It was confirmed as 2nd build in June for mid July delivery.

I have been "shopping around" and was offered several SLK 350`s autos for immediate delivery (2 weeks) at £2000 off the retail price. Obviously these are already specced but are unregistered UK cars. These offers were via internet car shifters.

Is the SLK less popular (particularly in the UK) ?

What delivery times are people experiencing on new orders ?

I have been told July build for August delivery re : SLK 350 if I went for that via my dealer instead ?

Anyway been told I need to spec by car within a week - still not decided auto or manual or the colour.

Slightly concerned that the SLK may not hold it`s value as much as we were expecting - if it is more readily available.

Thanks

Karl

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
161 Posts
Would you really want to buy a £40k from an Internet site..I wouldnt.
Regarding Build dates for the 350, Im sure your information is incorrect, which dealer is offering August delivery?
Sure they are not just trying to make a sale?...

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
IMO, a new car should not be considered an 'investment'. If you're concerned about it holding its value, you're looking in the wrong place. Some upscale models lose huge amounts of money the second they go out the door.

Also, having the car available, has nothing to do with popularity. They build something to the tune of 50k of these cars a year. Yet, even some cars like the SLR, which are only made in small quantities, can be bought from some dealers as brand new, even though they were all supposedly 'reserved'. In Switzerland alone, a quick search shows 6 SLR's available, and this is a small country with 5-6 million people (granted, some of them quite rich).

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
They may be trying to get rid of the 2005 models since the 2006 will be coming out this summer. Also, they may be concerned that more people might go with the new 280 and not the 350 and they may be stuck with them for longer than they want.

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
My dealer is saying 10 months to 1 year for both 200 and 350 models no discount.

gary

·
Registered
R171 200K
115 Posts
With all new cars not just mercedes, dealers seem to give/have inflated wait times when the cars are readily available in newspapers like the sunday times.

·
Registered
SLK 350
92 Posts
A lot depends on which dealer you go to and which country. When I went to the launch of the SLK last year the dealer admitted they were only allocated 2 SLK's a month by MB(24 a year). This is done to keep residuals high in the UK. Thats also why most MB dealers won't haggle as they can just sell it to someone who will pay full price.

Whilst it seems a bit crazy I quite like it as it retains a bit of exclusivity. I very rarely see another 350, however when i'm in my TT I can often be surrounded by them.

I looked briefly at importing and at the time a pound was the only saving off the retail price. I did see alot of places that looked alot cheaper but on closer inspection didn't have the VAT included and had a whole load of 'hidden' charges. I personally would only consider it if the price was alot cheaper or the delivery time was immediate.

·
Registered
2005 350SLK
490 Posts
I hope not many people like this beautiful car, exclusivity is a must! Not seeing many of these around yet, although the SL appears to be on every street corner. For all of you guys out there who must know the location, I am from Chicago but living temporarily in the Middle East!

·
Registered
350 SLK
11 Posts
hi folks i may have a little bad news as for holding its price i dont think they will be any better than 50% after 3 years !! and i know how crap mercedes stealers can be !!! they offered me from £31k to £36k for my 4 month old 350 with only 1300 miles on the clock[:(!] a loss of over £11k or £7k on a fully loaded car which is ment to hold its price and have a 12 month plus waiting time here in the uk !!!! they were joking in the end i went back to owning another audi tt 3.2 as they offered me £39k.i did like the 350 the engine was fantastic and its a good high speed cruiser,paint was not to the best quality i have seen, it does not have a deep shine like i have had before with audi's and the colour has always been silver.cheers

·
Registered
SLK350
258 Posts
The vast majority of cars are not an investment, I always buy new, write off the money, and look at any return when I sell it as a bonus.

If I worried about future value it would make me panic everytime I drove it as miles added reduces the value.

I also do not know how long I keep cars for - current car is 18 months, previous car was 9 years. How long will I keep the SLK - who knows - a year - 10 years?

Do not get me wrong I wany money back on the car when I sell it, and I can not really afford to write off the cash. But not knowing when this sale will be or caring about the mileage means I drive the car without any worries, of course my wife has a completely different viewpoint to this [B)]

Still everyone has an opinion, this one just enables me to buy a car like this in the first place [:)]

I think that anyone who gets a 50% return in 3 years on their SLK in the UK will be extremely fortunate, as a lot of cars on three year leases will start entering the second hand market.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
Jusst drive it like you stole it [:D]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts