Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been paying approx £2800 to insure my SLK350.
I am 28, have 6 points, and one claim in the past 3yrs.
My insurance is up for renewal next month and thought I would shop around over the weekend.

Elephant quoted me approx £1650 and Tesco, AA etc all roughly the same.
I then checked out E-sure.....
E-sure wouldnt touch me because I did not meet their criteria, probably too young, but their website directed me to First Alternative.

First alternative, once I had them on the phone, quoted £820!!! "Whats the catch" I asked? "surely this is a mistake"!!

Nope, all legit, turns out I am part of target audience.

Check it out people,(UK) could save yourself some serious money!! http://www1.firstalternative.com

·
Registered
SLK 350
69 Posts
Hi mate

I am 29 and I use directline they are usually quite cheap too. You can check their price online.

By the way have you sorted out your bodykit yet?

·
Registered
SLK 350
200 Posts
Thanks Anthony - I am with Admiral - 28 years old and 4 years no claims and am paying £950 - am looking to upgrade to AMG in next few months - so will definitely try firts alternative!!

Best quote so far for AMG is £1260 from Admiral

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
Via Direct Line I have been quoted £690

On the policy will be my wife and I - both 28, I have 3 points and had a non fault accident in the last year, also we have full no claims.

A big variant is location, I am in North Yorkshire, the car is garaged, its a very low risk postcode. Previously when getting quoted online out of curiosity I have entered addresses I know to be in crime ridden areas - the quote differences are huge.

Another thing that helps is being married - apparently we become calmer. [B)][:D]

·
Registered
SLK 350
69 Posts
bsharp - 1/31/2005 8:11 AM

Via Direct Line I have been quoted £690

On the policy will be my wife and I - both 28, I have 3 points and had a non fault accident in the last year, also we have full no claims.

A big variant is location, I am in North Yorkshire, the car is garaged, its a very low risk postcode. Previously when getting quoted online out of curiosity I have entered addresses I know to be in crime ridden areas - the quote differences are huge.

Another thing that helps is being married - apparently we become calmer. [B)][:D]
My quote is with direct line too - did they require you to fit a tracking device to the car?

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
Yes a tracking device is essential - i guess I should add the annual charge for that to my quote!

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Direct line, (required I fit a tracker) quoted me £1043
with a £1000 excess!!!
First Alternative excess is £250 and the quote £820,
I know which Im going for [:D][8D]

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did the insurance companies specify the flavour of Tracker? IE does the Horizon get you a lower premium than Monitor?

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I looked a couple of months ago, First Alternative were best for me, £679 on the street in East London. That was when I had 13 years no claims, which is now suspended since a total knob decided to drive into the back of my car when we pulled to the side of a one way traffic controlled road. And it would be about 4 weeks before my new car, I wasn't even driving.
So that needs to be resolved before I get no claims back.

Out of interest has anyone else got their car on the street in London, and if so where are you? The sunday times story of the Maserati owner makes me wonder if I am in dream land imagining people will be nice to my SLK, and I imagine marker pens scratches and lost wheels as a possibility, as well as getting mugged for my keys or car jacked.
Paranoid?

·
Registered
R171 SLK200
145 Posts
I too am with First Alternative as my original insurer, Esure (their sister company was more expensive!) £600 with ten years NCB (protected). I'm really glad I got the 200. To be honest I think the 350 is a lovely car, but did I need V6 power? Probably not. So not only am I group lower, but a Tracker wasn't compulsory. I do park my car in the street, in West London (I'd prefer not to say exactly where) but I park with care, normally trying to find a single parking space (rare but they do exist) or a slot which only fits two cars at most. Touch wood I've had no scrapes from less able/considerate/aware* drivers.

Although driving back from the office during rush hour in Hampshire on Tuesday evening, a lady decided to drive in to the back of my car at about 10MPH (her daughter distracted her) so the rear bumper has some tiny chips and scratches which will require them to repaint the entire bumper. But her insurer has arranged everything (I haven't even bothered to report the accident to my insurer now) and didn't mind that I insisted on using the Mercedes garage to do the work (I said nano paint and they said fine) plus they've organised a nice loan car for the duration...a brand new CLK320, so things could be worse!

* - delete as appropriate

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
I found First Alternative to be far and away the cheapest.

I insure my 200slk for £653 fully comp.

I have max no claims and 4 points, now four years old. BUT it also covers my girlfriend who is 26 to drive.

Excellent value.

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
Ps. no tracker required

·
Registered
350 SLK
11 Posts
first alternative quoted me £443 on 350 im 35 full no claims no points etc,etc but with wife on would not quote me. at moment i pay £900 full comp with wife,with elephant. cheers

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
£443! I have 13 years no claims and am 40, 3 points, one no fault claim and I get £697. Well its in London on the street, East London at that.

·
Registered
SL350
53 Posts
I have a 200SLK and my husband insures it for me. I am 32, with a total write off 5 years ago. I have 3 points - all in all not good!!!

So.........Find a sugar Daddy (21 years older than me).....My insurance is only £310 fully comp, with tracker and protected NCD.

I love it!!

·
Registered
SLK 230 & SLK350 and Jaguar XF PL
568 Posts
I pay £427 with esure protected with legal for my 350 no points or claims but there again I dont go anywhere - 847 miles since 31 Jul 04.

Its a nice day I think I will go out and look at the car again.

gary

·
Registered
S280 SLK350 A200
132 Posts
Hi Gary
Don't just look, get in and go somewhere! I thought my mileage was low....since it is too precious to drive in wet or to somewhere dodgy. However I do have a few other cars; I have done 1500 miles since collecting from Bremen in Sept.
cheers Rusper

1 - 20 of 26 Posts