Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2003 SLK320
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
guys, saw this cool pic on ebay!

for those not into bikes, the honda goldwing is the standard in touring bikes- kinda like a nice big american cruiser like the chrysler 300M, or other cars like the high end mercs, lexus and beamers. great vehicle to take on a long-drive cross country. AND YES!!IT DOES COME WITH A WONDERFUL CD-CHANGER!! dang!

the picture has a yellow goldwing with our good old SLK in the background- sunburst yellow! that's why this picture stood out. i was browsing the yellow goldwing and thought how nice it wud to be to get one to macth my yellow SLK and voila, I see this auction on ebay! sweeet!

·
Registered
2003 SLK320
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RE: slk +honda goldwing bike??

haha! it's a sign that my pockets are gonna be even more empty soon!

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport 5sp
34 Posts

The top pic is the 'old' Goldwing GL1500. Handled like a Lincoln. Honda was starting to lose the touring market to BMW, so they had to drastically change the Goldwing. The 2nd pic is the current GL1800, designed by Honda's top sportbike designer and handles more like a Lexus than a Lincoln. The handling is unbelievable for such a large bike.

I have a black SLK230 and a black GL1800.

-don (I run the GL1800 Owners Group)

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts

1999slk230 - 5/3/2005 7:38 AM

The top pic is the 'old' Goldwing GL1500. Handled like a Lincoln. Honda was starting to lose the touring market to BMW, so they had to drastically change the Goldwing. The 2nd pic is the current GL1800, designed by Honda's top sportbike designer and handles more like a Lexus than a Lincoln. The handling is unbelievable for such a large bike.

I have a black SLK230 and a black GL1800.

-don (I run the GL1800 Owners Group)
At first I was worried when you said "it handled like a Lincoln" but you made up for it later on by saying "The handling is unbelievable for such a large bike".

My father was always a Lincoln guy, big car, load levelers, heck, we could get 6-7 people in that car with reasonable comfort if one or two of them where teenagers sized. Those Lincoln Town cars really surprized me when ever I drove them. I've floated myself into corners by accident that I didn't think that I was ever going to make it out of, and that car just pulled right through them like it was nothing. The cool part about it, the 5 people in the car had NO idea that they was even in any danger! The car was so well manored in a panic situation hitting the corner to fast. I used to laugh at dad when he raced Cameros at the lights and often won. I'm telling you this because I've learned to have LOTS of respect for the Town Car. The trunk is like no other on the market. Its HUGE! I think Lincoln screwed up with the change to the front seat and the hump they put in the back seat, because until they did that, it was the only car that I know of on the market that could fit so many people in so comfortably with seat belts for all, even the middle of the seat passengers. 3 up front, and three in the back.

My cudos to the Town Car. [8D] I know most of us are all about the Euro drivers, but honestly, that Lincoln is America's secrete weapon. It won't let ya down.

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport 5sp
34 Posts

I think your first impression was correct. I was stating that the old wing handled like a Lincoln, great on the highway, but not necessarily something you want to take out to tear up the twisties.

Lincolns are great for what they are (my snowbird mother had one), as were the old wings. But neither was for me.

The new wing, like the SLK, tears up the twisties - and is great on the highway.

-don

·
Registered
2003 SLK320
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

don,

when u get a chance, pls. post some pics of ur beauties together!

u da man!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts