Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SLK 280
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone taken his/her SLK through one of those automatic (cloth) carwash? Wondering if the heavy cloth would break the antenna? Also, do people remove the whip antenna before car wash? I wonder which is worse: putting the antenna through carwash, or exposing the connector to water by removing the antenna.. dilemma.. (I think the antenna is just a bad design)
 

·
Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG Iridium Silver
Joined
·
246 Posts
clu1234 said:
Has anyone taken his/her SLK through one of those automatic (cloth) carwash? Wondering if the heavy cloth would break the antenna? Also, do people remove the whip antenna before car wash? I wonder which is worse: putting the antenna through carwash, or exposing the connector to water by removing the antenna.. dilemma.. (I think the antenna is just a bad design)
i would just take the car to a "touch free" carwash instead. i have never taken my slk to one of those cloth car washes. scratches will present itself. i usually wash my car myself, or go to a automatic carwash at chevron (touch-free), where only fluids touch the car. i doubt they will break the antenna. also i wouldn't try to remove the antenna. well, thats just me
 

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Joined
·
1,950 Posts
clu1234 said:
Has anyone taken his/her SLK through one of those automatic (cloth) carwash? Wondering if the heavy cloth would break the antenna? Also, do people remove the whip antenna before car wash? I wonder which is worse: putting the antenna through carwash, or exposing the connector to water by removing the antenna.. dilemma.. (I think the antenna is just a bad design)
I unscrew it and run the car through the machine. The good part is that I get to stay in the car and watch the brushes.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
Joined
·
284 Posts
Don't miss that video! It is a riot!



(why? why? why? why?) :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
 

·
Registered
06' SLK350
Joined
·
2,315 Posts
You guys are brave, I would never take my SLK to an automatic car wash, it's hand washed only. If I have to, then I'll take it to a touchless one, I would not bothered taken the antenna out. If I must take it to a brushed one, I would unscrewed it first, make sure I have some tape handy and covered the metal part before going in for the torture. :D
 

·
Registered
2009 BMW Z4, 2005 SLK 200, 2004 S 280
Joined
·
1,950 Posts
Ynot said:
You guys are brave, I would never take my SLK to an automatic car wash, it's hand washed only. If I have to, then I'll take it to a touchless one, I would not bothered taken the antenna out. If I must take it to a brushed one, I would unscrewed it first, make sure I have some tape handy and covered the metal part before going in for the torture. :D
Well, it is just a car....not a lover.
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
Ynot said:
You guys are brave, I would never take my SLK to an automatic car wash, it's hand washed only. If I have to, then I'll take it to a touchless one, I would not bothered taken the antenna out. If I must take it to a brushed one, I would unscrewed it first, make sure I have some tape handy and covered the metal part before going in for the torture. :D
I'm with Ynot. Have never been through a car wash. If someone is going to scratch my car during washing, it's going to be me. Plus, even though it takes a little more work and involves a little more time on my part, I think I do a better job than a machine.
 

·
Registered
2009 SLK 55 AMG
Joined
·
966 Posts
Corkscrew said:
Well, it is just a car....not a lover.
i always wash my love by hand....how about you?
 

·
Registered
SLK55,CayenneS,XKR
Joined
·
1,995 Posts
I take the time to do detail and wash my slk myself, At least its fun due to the small size of the car.
 

·
Registered
06' SLK350
Joined
·
2,315 Posts
Corkscrew said:
Well, it is just a car....not a lover.
I know it's just a car, that's why I drive it everywhere, and for th most part, don't care where I park it. Also track it but I still prefer a scratched free car. I know the SLK has nano-paint, minor scratches can be buff off easily but who knows what's under those brushes. I'd rather not take the risk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
oooooo I went thru a car wash like that when I drove an old truck. There was a hanger caught in it. Beat the heck out of my old truck's paint job. Left dents front to back. LOL

Glad it was an old beater of a truck!

I only use Laser wash touchless car washes if I need a quick clean up. Otherwise, I wash it by hand!
 

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
Joined
·
1,614 Posts
alroumi said:
I take the time to do detail and wash my slk myself, At least its fun due to the small size of the car.
You're right. The small size is a definite advantage for the SLK when it comes to washing the car. With a California Blade and three microfiber towels, I can usually wash my car in about 15 minutes and have it looking like new. I guess that explains why sometimes I wash it two to three times a week during the summer if I'm driving it on a frequent basis.
 

·
Registered
2007 SLK 280
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know.. maybe it's the quality of the automatic cloth wash here, but I actually think it's better than hand-wash. I had an A4 for 2 years prior to the SLk, and after 2 years of almost weekly washes, it had no spider web or anything like that. When I went shopping for the SLK, the MB dealer was so impressed with the Audi they bought it on the spot and I ended up taking the SLK for 75k under MSRP... (The sales manager asked me "have you driven this [A4] at all?")

What I like is the water-based wax - I think it's less abrasive than hand-waxing.
 

·
Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG Iridium Silver
Joined
·
246 Posts
clu1234 said:
I don't know.. maybe it's the quality of the automatic cloth wash here, but I actually think it's better than hand-wash. I had an A4 for 2 years prior to the SLk, and after 2 years of almost weekly washes, it had no spider web or anything like that. When I went shopping for the SLK, the MB dealer was so impressed with the Audi they bought it on the spot and I ended up taking the SLK for 75k under MSRP... (The sales manager asked me "have you driven this [A4] at all?")

What I like is the water-based wax - I think it's less abrasive than hand-waxing.
75k under msrp?? you mean 7.5?:eek:
 

·
Registered
SLK 350
Joined
·
2,327 Posts
I have never and will never take my SLK to any kind of automatic car wash. I always wash it myself. I'm self employed so I can always find time to do it.
 

·
Registered
SLK 280
Joined
·
76 Posts
i would say half and half as i forget or just don't bother half the time. it's soft enough that it doesn't get broken. some car washes will remove it before they take the car through.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top