Any Issues or Problems ?

How's the Performance ?

I have yet to Test Drive 1 yet. [:(]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Love it.

Comand unit took a dump but dealer replaced it and all is well.

Performance is slightly beyond what I expected. A good thing.

Go test drive one already... what are you waiting for?

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I like my auto, it can be a bit nudgy for the first few minutes when cold, but depends a lot on your driving style and the mode you're driving in. Using the buttons on the steering wheel to shift is fun, but you'll drain gas real quick.

No serious issues or problems on my car. I've added a bit of oil on my own in the past 5000miles, had to reseat a few flaps in the trunk (no, nothing was broken) and the COMAND system seems to like some mp3 burnt CD/DVD's better then others, but apart from that, nothing is "broken" in my car [:)] (I'm really nit picking here).

Performance is sweet, since hitting 5000miles, the power has only grown. Seems like the engine is truly breathing now! Some magazines and people report 0-60 times of as low as 4.2 or 4.3 seconds!!!

Test drive it before you by it (if possible). Some people love the car, others loathe it, it's always better to have an experience before you go and shell over $50k on any car [;)] (but I don't think you'd be disappointed). This car does however have a little bit less leather in it then on an SL (or perhaps on your 911), so best to see it first hand first [:)]

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
I agree with Shinigami. Mine just hit 2000 miles, and I've had no issues whatsoever, although a few owners on this forum have reported some problems. But the problems seem to be isolated, not systemic, and no manufacturer has a 100% trouble free record. I've even known a couple of Lexus owners who have had repeated trouble with the cars...it's rare, but it happens. Of course that doesn't help the very few of our friends here who seem to be having trouble getting their cars repaired correctly, but once again, the issues seem to be isolated. In addition, the car has a lot of complicated systems, so there's more to go wrong than on the average car. Some people seem to think that they have a right to expect a $70K car to be more trouble free than a $20K car...IMO it's the other way around. Also, given that this a first year car, I wwas prepared to experience a few "teething" problems, but nothing yet...crossing my fingers. I also agree that you really need to go out of your way to drive one before you decide. When I ordered mine, there were none available to drive or even see in person, so there was a bit of a leap of faith, but I'm extremely happy with my decision. The performance?...although I don't often drive the car hard, it's breathtaking, beyond anything I've ever driven before. I would strongly suggest you read the June issue of Car & Driver.

·
Registered
C5Z, 911 & F355
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
masmole - 5/11/2005 4:32 AM

Go test drive one already... what are you waiting for?
My MB Dealer does not have any Demo 55s to Test Drive [:(]

Their SLR is Missing [:0]

It wasn't me, does everyone have an Alibi ?
or $$$$ of disposable CA$H ?

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Come to LVMS this weekend.

1Turbo - 5/11/2005 2:27 PM

Yo! 1Turbo in Las Vegas. If you come to LV Motor Speedway on Saturday or Sunday (5/14 or 5/15), I may be able to give you a ride in my 55 on the 2.2 mi. road course (outside the grandstand area on the south west corner of the oval.)

The BMW Club has a driving school there and I'll be busy instructing, but I may be able to get away for a few laps. Saturday afternoon would be best.

You willl need a Snell 2000 helmet. There may be a few loaners around, but if you can round one up, you should. Also, Long pants may be required -- Im not sure. Best if you don't come in shorts, even though temps witll be in the 90s. Worst case is that you see 70-80 or so really sweet BMWs.

Gordon Haines, just up Interstate 15 in St. George.

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
Damn it...

I wish I lived near LV! Hey SLK55er, if you ever come near norcal, please let me know. I'd love to ride shotgun with a competent driver in a slk55!

BTW, What do you teach with? BMW M3? Just curious.

Dan

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
Attend a BMW Driving School

dsb - 5/11/2005 3:20 PM

BTW, What do you teach with? BMW M3? Just curious.

Dan
Well, no -- students at BMW Car Club of America driving schools drive their own car with an instructor riding shotgun. Instructors go through a comprehensive training program and drive our own cars at various times during the day.

Normally, the student and instructor communicate with helmet-to-helmet communications (via a motorcycle com set.) The emphasis is on car control, braking and proper lines through turns. Passing is only allowed in designated areas and only when the lead car signals OK to pass. Driving is augmented by classroom instruction.

Most of the 60+USA chapters have one or more driving schools each year all over the country. These schools are open to anyone driving just about any brand of vehicle. Much to the chagrin of Z3 and Z4 owners, convertibles are not permitted -- our hardtop convertibles are an issue and many chapters will not allow them either, so you should check that for sure.

If you have a chance, you'll find that these are really wonderful experiences -- addictive even. And you will be welcomed anywhere. Cost varies from around $125 per day to over $500 for a 2-day school, depending on the track. As you can imagine, Road Atlanta, Road America, Laguna Seca and Sears Point (as I'll always know it) demand a premium price. But there are many schools available at many of the smaller tracks in the country.

You can check them out at the BMW CCA's website at

http://www.bmwcca.org

BTW -- I am the original webmaster for the BMW CCA's national website, but gave that up about 4 years ago.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350 2011 GLK3504X 2006 ML350(selling when GLK arrives)
1,940 Posts
RE: Driving Schools...

Speaking of driving schools...the new online magazine Winding Road has a drawing going for a 3 day Bob Bondurant driving school. You can enter and get a free subscription to the magazine at www.windingroad.com.

I attended a two day Bondurant course at Sears point driving my 5 series BMW in 1997 and attended a 3 day "post-graduate" course at his new track in Arizona in 1991. I highly recommend him and may go back soon...[:D][8D][:D]

·
Registered
C5Z, 911 & F355
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shinigami - 5/11/2005 5:30 AM

No serious issues or problems on my car. I've added a bit of oil on my own in the past 5000miles. [:)]
Well that would be my Main Concern.I know you have owned a 55 longer than most, so i respect & appreciate your Opinion.

1 more ?
Were you able to Purchase your SLK @ M.S.R.P. ???

·
Registered
C5Z, 911 & F355
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RE: Come to LVMS this weekend.

slk55er - 5/11/2005 5:14 PM

1Turbo - 5/11/2005 2:27 PM

Yo! 1Turbo in Las Vegas. If you come to LV Motor Speedway on Saturday or Sunday (5/14 or 5/15), I may be able to give you a ride in my 55 on the 2.2 mi. road course (outside the grandstand area on the south west corner of the oval.)
Thanks for the Invite, i was Out of Town [:(]

OT: Is Real Estate in St George going Nutz ???
I'm debating moving to Mesquite in the next couple of years.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I bought my SLK at the official price. That's Swiss law.

·
Registered
C5Z, 911 & F355
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shinigami - 5/25/2005 3:49 AM

I bought my SLK at the official price. That's Swiss law.
That's an EXCELLENT Law !!! [:)]

I know that when the C6Z06 is released later this year,the "Corvette Market Adjustment Price" (gouging)
will be between $5-20K [:(!] You can Pre-Order @ M.S.R.P., but i want to Test Drive it thoroughly. I'm also afraid of 1st Year Glitches & Issues.
It sounds like the SLK 55 has has Pretty Good Quality Control.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts