Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My question is for those members lucky enough to drive both the slk and the sl500 (must be nice) which car do you prefer. I love my slk no problems but everytime I see an SL I drool. I could manage dollar wise a 05 maybe an 06 Sl.What do you think.Please all forum members you too can chime in, I need direction.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
They are different in terms of driving dynamics. SL's are heavy, doesn't handle well, isn't as much of a driver's car as the SLK. But it does look good. For a design as old as it is, it still stands out. The SL500 is 302hp I believe but it's heavy so I think the SLK350 should be faster. I've always been fond of the SL but it's more of a gt cruiser than a sports car. And that's why I still prefer the SLK350, when I get much older and don't care for handling, SL would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I agree with Ynot. I've driven some of the older SL's and they weren't very much fun to drive compared to the SLK. Felt very "spongy" on the road, with no real feel when driving. HOWEVER, if you really want to make a statement, get an SL. Everytime I see one, I just drool.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
An SL500 (with the 5 liter engine with 300hp) will be slower, but a very comfortable drive.

The newer 500 (or badged as 550 in the states) has a 5.5 liter engine with 380hp. This one would be pretty much just as fast your SLK.

I've driven a 350 and 55 (not sure if the 350 is sold over in the states, but over here it had a 3.7 liter engine... now they've got it with the 3.5 found in the SLK350). The 350 was a nice comfy cruiser, a bit dull feeling when driving and quite slow (relatively speaking... didn't feel slow, but looking at the speedo you realise how long it takes for it to reach 60mph or more).

The 55 was another ballgame. It's fast, takes corners well, doesn't have too much body roll (I'd say the springs are pretty nice and tight). Some have shown it to be about equal on the track compared to an SLK55 AMG.

Overall, it's a car with a better interior (if you can get one with some extended leather etc), more technology with more electronics and gadgets.

A cool cruiser, more space to store stuff (trunk space is identical, but you can place stuff behind the seats as well) and looks very nice.

I prefer my SLK over an SL500 simply because the power is so intoxicating. But if I was given an SL65 in return for my SLK, I'd take immediately. It's the AMG's in the SL range which I find real nice due to the extra care taken in fitting the interiors with leather, and the biturbo 6.0 liter engine is just downright awesome.

Between an SLK350 and an SL500, I think I'd stick with the SLK since a standard SL interior is kinda on par (yes there's more in there for your luxury, but I'm not too fond of the vinyl interior) and I like my cars in general a little smaller and nippier (the SL500 will have pretty sloppy springs if it's not sports package enabled).

This is just my personal option. Both are great cars, and if I recall correctly, you're retired now. So why not pick up a little side job for 6-12 months. You'll be able to buy that SL, or even an AMG no problem ;)

(I say this coz I just love to work... I can't see myself sitting around when I'm retired. I just need it, it's a drug. hehe)

·
Registered
341 Posts
The SL is not as fun as the 350. It is heavy and feels it in the corners. The SL55 is a whole different kettle of fish. The 500 is quite torqy and excellent for highway cruising. It has features like ventilated seats, heated seats, driver dynamic seats etc that are just not available on the SLK. Make sure you get it with the DVD nav. The early SL's had CD rom Nav that is a pain in the ass to use.

I dont know how 05 - 06 SL's are on price, but why dont you just bump up to a SLK55

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I agree with the others. At a Mercedes Benz test event, I got to drive an SLK 350 and immediately after an SL 500. The SL 500 was sluggish when trying quick manuvers. The SLK was a lot more fun on the twisty test track. In the Chicago area, you see SL's all over the place but SLK's are still a bit rare.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Duo-Art said:
In the Chicago area, you see SL's all over the place but SLK's are still a bit rare.
Is that because the bodies in Chicago tend to be a little bit larger than elsewhere in the U.S.? LOL.

re: "We sometimes have this problem in Chicago when we stuff a victim in the trunk and they aren't totally dead but since you checked the spare tire, I assume you didn't find anyone in the trunk."

·
Registered
858 Posts
:D I saw a silver SL 500 (?) this past Saturday morning as it passed me. Nice looking female driving a nice looking MB SL (can't call me s3xist for that comment). I think the SL looks like a larger SLK. My preference would still be either a SLK 350 or 55, even if I could get the SL for the same price as the SLK. I agree with the poster suggesting going with a SLK 55 if you're looking for a change.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
The SL is very comfortable, If you are thinking of getting one get the Designo edition for the added luxuries or Go for the AMG bodykit.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slk or sl500

I think I'm going to stick with my 350.It only has 5800 miles and has never been in the shop.I did see a really nice 55 on e-bay, just 900 miles and the preferred package.Take a look, its in Bethesda,Md. If it wasn't the same color as mine I might be going for a ride. It really is dififferent.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Drove the SL for a week to Florida is a nice car but i think the SLK is lots more fun to drive but the seats are more confortable in a SL.

·
Registered
11 Posts
slk vs sl500

Nothing like adding to an 11 yr old thread...
I'm also trying to decide which to buy -A 2005-2008 SLK or 2003-2006 SL500- they're selling for about the same money
I prefer the SL, but it sounds like a bit of a nightmare to keep together-number and cost of repairs seem prohibitive

is the general consensus that slk's are less prone to problems than sl500s? significantly so?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
12 Participants
DP
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing