Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Having read many of the oil consumption posts, I think the new cars fall broadly in two categories:

• My slk 350 has consumed no or very little oil in several thousand km/miles

Votes: 21 63.6%
  • My slk 350 has consumed several qts / lts of oil, much more than I expected

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • My slk 350 has consumed quite a bit of oil, but not so much that I worry

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having read many of the oil consumption posts, I think the new cars fall broadly in two categories:

1. The majority of cars - no or very little consumption. Hardly measurable after several 1000 miles/km, if at all.

2. A smallish minority of cars with a factory problem that consume quite a lot of oil, say several litres / quarts after a few thousand miles/km. (Maybe that's why MB appears worried and are doing all these tests)

If I am right, most people will chose either category one or two in my poll below. If we have quite a few votes for the third category, the hypothesis could be wrong. I expect the large majority to be in category 1.

(I appreciate that the categories are open to some interpretation.)

Cheers
roadsta

ps. It would be good if the 200/55 owners abstain. Seems your cars are not prone to this.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
Every time we do one of these oil consumption polls the results don't jive with the posts. How can there be so many complaints about oil usage but these results??? The last poll had practically the same results

·
Registered
SLK350 6MT
294 Posts
Perhaps it looks skewed because those who have a problem complain and complain, and complain, and those who don't, don't. Those who do have a problem should complain and I believe the polls are not so far from reality. Some (a few) owners have a problem but most do not. Sorry, gotta sign off so I can check my oil.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am beginning to think my theory is right - most 350 engines are fine and consume no oil. (~90%)

A smallish percentage of engines have some kind of problem, and consume a lot, and is getting MB quite worried because this engine will go into the CLS350, ML350 and SL350, and who knows where else.

Any more 350 votes out there?

roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350
693 Posts
I invite applications for membership of oil consumers anonymous.
The first stage for everyone will be admitting you have a problem. The next step to recovery is confessing to your garage....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts