Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I am having an issue with my old key fob which is not opening/unlocking.
Having looked at some videos online I tried to check if the battery is spent or intermittent. On pressing the buttons, all light and flash red except for the boot which does illuminate (likewise the Infrared Red function on the boot press key did not show when pressed looking through my smart phone camera). My initial question therefore is : is the battery faulty? Or as I would have thought more likely, is the remote key worn on its press pad? But then why am I unable to unlock/lock doors with the remote key fob? I also note some posts have mentioned dampness getting into vehicle can get on electrics and recently the car was full of condensation having been serviced. I also had a new battery installed recently but all appears ok with that...Can anyone help in next steps I can take in fault finding please?

I wou

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,523 Posts
You mention that you're "having an issue with (your) OLD key fob", but I don't see any mention in your problem statement or a listing in your profile about the age or model of your car.

Is this something that you can take to the dealer under warranty?

These key fobs can be a PIA. I just went through an issue when getting into my E350 and a message popped up on the dash that the key wasn't recognized. Usually I get a message that the battery needs to be changed. Not this time!
I took the fob apart and fiddled with the battery, but after putting it back together, I still got the dash warning that my key wasn't recognized. After I took it apart again, I actually removed the battery. After putting it back together the second time, the dash message was gone and the car started normally. To be safe, I went directly to the store to get a couple of new batteries...just in case.

Hope someone has a suggestion that solves your problem.

·
Registered
1989 560SL; 2014 E350
1,523 Posts
Pardon my faux pas not noticing the year and model mentioned in both your thread title and signature. My bad, Angela!
Good luck!

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,459 Posts
i would start again with the decent batteries in the key fob, you will be surprised that a quality battery makes all the difference like Duracell etc.. Also pay attention to the contacts for the battery inside, I have placed a small piece of paper on the battery to push in the metal contact as it was loose.
When you press the remote, you should always see a red flash from the led on the fob, if you do not, then your battery inside is not connected properly or weak.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts