Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a new car and I have narrowed it down to the SLk 230 and the SLK 320. Is the 320 worth the extra cash? Im looking at the 2000-2002 models. I have a pontiac firebird v6 and it has 200 horsepower, If I go witht the slk 230 I will be decreasing my horsepower. Thats the main reason why I was looking at the 320.

·
Registered
slk32amg
80 Posts
go with the 32, most grins for buck

It's woth the extra $, You'll keep it longer, will have better residual value since last of supercharged v6 (easy to modify later, will eaqual or better a corvette et). I would rather do that than buy 230 and put money into it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Best argument for the SLK 320 is the initial throttle response. The handling is also improved over the pre-2001 SLK 230s.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
while I would like the amg 32 its just to much money. That will be my car when I start making the big bucks in about 3-4 years.

·
Registered
06 corvette coupe
468 Posts
I haven't driven the 230 or 320, but I would say go with the 320. It has more HP and torque and can be modded (if you desire) for more power than the 230.

I don't know if there are any other differences as far as suspension or drivetrain.

·
Registered
98 SLK 230
165 Posts
Drive them both to see which one you like better.

The tourque is similar, so they feel similar off the line. Or at least there was not enough extra to warrent the extra $$ on the 320.

I actually like the 230, because with the supercharger, you get a extra ummmphh feeling when it kicks in. (Note - I also like turbo's, since they have an even more noticible kick!)

Cheers,
Pat

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
Some people think that the exhaust note on the 320 is much nicer than on the 230. I had decided on the 320 over the 230 before I went all the way to the 32.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
441 Posts
Honestly, I love the 320. I personally have the 32 and let me tell ya, its like riding a skateboard with a rocket strapped to your ass. When I light that thing off, I feel like Wiley Coyote chasing the road runner... Yeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaa!!!! No kidding. Its also the easiest car that i've ever had just to drive slow in as well. I'm more times than not driving slightly under the speed limit just cruising around, enjoying the sites and watching all the people drool over my car as they go by. Its really a dream machine. If its out, there won't be a day that goes by that you won't get a complement.

I like the maturity of the exhaust note in the 320 over the 230, its a six and I really think that the diff. in power is worth the extra cash. You'll notice the extra power climbing mountains over the 230 imho, I know I could when I had my BMW 330 and compaired it to the C230.

I also have a 2004 C230, its what my wifey wanted for her daily travel, that car is a zippy little thing. On take off it could surprize a lot of cars, on the highway there's no problem at all cruising at 110, the car is well behaved, I'm mainly talking about the motor here. There's plenty of get up and go for the 230 supercharged. But, if I had a choice between the two, I'd go for the 320.

To seal the deal, go to a dealer, if you can still find the two on the lot. Drive the 230, then drive the 320. You'll know. We did.

I don't know what your trading in, or how much you have to spend, but we just found our 32 for 38 grand with only 8 thousand miles on it.

Easy way to figure out cars is just remember, on average, for every 10 thousand that you finance, (around 5% interest) that it will cost you 200.00 a month car payment for 5 years.

So, if I look at a 20k car, and want to finance it all, its 400.00 a month, and 30k will cost you 600.00 dollars a month. Easy huh? So, once you know how much your trade in is worth and you get your budget for month spendature, you can easily cruise stickers and do the math in your head. ie, I know my wife said I could have 300 bucks a month car payment, my trade in was around 25k (already paid off, we had the title), the car that I wanted was 38k, that's a balance of 13,00.00, 300.00 a month was set for 15,000.00 financing. I knew that I had 2k left to pay for taxes etc. Easy!

NO FEAR! lol

Don't worry about the typos tonite, homey is over tired and slightly wired. [:D][8D][;)]

Live life, you'd be surprized how short it can be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I was going to sell my firebird private and try and get around 7 grand for it. I can put down around 3 grand right now. That means I would only have to finance 10 thousand of it. I just saw a slk 320 go for 19,800 2001, clear title no damage etc.

·
Registered
SLK in brilli silver
854 Posts
I agree w/some of the posts that you really need to drive them and decide for yourself and your requirements of the car. I personally went w/the 230 for because it felt lighter/slightly more agile, better fuel econ., and w/a 700 pulley you get as much power as a 320. Now im not a power freak at all, I got the car for fun as a convertible thats fun to cruize around in and the occassional spirited drive. If I had it to do again would I get the 230 again if i had to choose btwn the 320 or the 230 I would get the 230 again.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
If you thinking about keeping the car for a long time i think 320 with Manual is your best bet.

Advantage of 320 over 230 - is no supercharger - less things to brake.

Advantage of 230 over 320 - is the supercharger - more room for tweaking ;)

·
Registered
01SLK320 totaled =(
672 Posts
SLKBENZ320 - 4/24/2005 10:06 PM

Yeah, I was going to sell my firebird private and try and get around 7 grand for it. I can put down around 3 grand right now. That means I would only have to finance 10 thousand of it. I just saw a slk 320 go for 19,800 2001, clear title no damage etc.
Damn, thats cheap...please tell me it has 40k plus miles on it...

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
I have been in the same decision-making situation twice. Once in Europe between a CLK230K and CLK320. And in the US between SLK230K and SLK320.

To be honest with you, performance-wise, there is no big difference between a 320 and 230K. >01 kompressor engines feel as they would have a bit more torque than the 320. It is because of the shape of the torque curve. In practice they both have offer pretty much enough performance. After all, they are pretty light cars.

The kompressor engine gives you a bit better fuel economy. And in some parts of the world you might save some money in you insurance premium because of the smaller displacement.

In the USA, I was about to buy a SLK320 because of the better standard options (electric chairs, and tilt wheel). If you do not buy the first car you see, the price difference between a 230K and 320 is pretty close to zero. You can get a nice 320 with the price of a equally nice 230.

In person, I decided to buy a 230K. This was because of my positive CLK230K experiences, and the fact that I am planning to bring the car to Europe. That is when the fuel economy becomes more important.

Summary: Find nice SLK230K or SLK320 with a good price-tag, and you will not be disapponted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts