Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

341 - 360 of 410 Posts

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #341
On my 2002 brabus clk , in Manual mode my transmission does not automatically upshift
Hi,

Yes, you are quite correct :)

The difference is in the TCU, (EGS 52) SCN Coding string, in plain English, the way it is Programmed ;)

I had my TCU Programmed to do that with Manual Mode, but when that particular R170 does Up-shift the sound track is telling me he has to let off the Throttle, except on WOT when it sounds OK, I saw no signs of him slapping the Gear-stick or a pressing a Paddle, so I really dunno lol ;)

I am just hoping mine will all work as intended, but have a way to go yet before I can Road Test it, and am held up right now waiting on Parts before I can get the Radiator Pack in and Diff in, plus I need to clear a backlog of work before getting back to the Car in earnest ;)

I'm off heading to England tonight, a 1500 odd mile round trip to pick up the "Top Secret" Parts and a few other bits ..............

The Icing for my little R170 Cake ;)

·
Registered
2007 W164 ML320CDI Sport, 2007 W221 S600L & 2002 W220 S280
119 Posts
Some serious spannering skills there Dave. If I win the lottery I'll pay for an apprenticeship with you!

Older but not any wiser!

·
Registered
W123 1985 T-model M110
28 Posts
On my 2002 brabus clk , in Manual mode my transmission does not automatically upshift - it will bang against the rev limiter and stay In gear

in the w215 and w220 it will automatically upshift even in Manual mode, and will never hit rev limiter . These are all 722.6 v8 m113 based cars so I don’t know why the difference
CLK is w208 or W209?

Отправлено с моего GM 5 Plus через Tapatalk

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #346
The Top Secret Cake Icing :)

Firstly I have to say an absolutely HUUUUGE Thank You to a really great guy, who is a member of another Forum, and has been following my SLK V8 Project since I bought the Car 15 months odd ago ...................

He knows who he is lol, and I'm not mentioning any names, but he knows he can post anything he likes here but only if he wishes to (y)
Also a big thank you to his lovely lady, who also made me feel very welcome, cooked us all a gorgeous Breakfast and several Coffees, also for putting up with me blethering on about Cars (y)

This guy contacted me a little while back, and he really and genuinely wanted to contribute the "Top Secret Parts" below to my project, for which I am very grateful, no way did I have the spare cash in my project pot to be buying these right now !!
He is now amongst the really genuine folks I call good friends :)

Despite me thoroughly checking my Van over on Friday, pre trip, the journey was not without incident, in fact as I was only just my (north) side of Fort William when I heard an awful clattering / grinding sound, pitch black around midnight, and saw sparks flying out behind me in my Door Mirror, thoughts of aborting were going through my head :cry:

Reduced speed, had to trundle along clattering for about half a mile until I found a lay by to pull into. I'd realised by now the van was driving OK, and it was likely only an Exhaust issue, although she didn't sound hardly any louder !!

Long story short, as they do, it had broken on the welded joint just at the exit of the Main Silencer !! It was dragging on the road as "Kermit" who designed the Peugeot Van decided in his infinite wisdom it didn't need an Exhaust Hanger in this area, of course with a flexi joint at the CAT / Turbo pipe, it simply drops and drags along the Road :(

However I almost aborted and got the [email protected]&*d recovered, but man, I really wanted those parts, so I put a Ratchet Strap around the whole van through the Doors round the Sills and across the Underside, and it held the Silencer up off the Road for the rest of the whole trip ;) ..............

My emergency bodge, (which I'm going to patent) 🤣 , held for the rest of the journey down and all the way back, circa 950 miles on 1 Ratchet Strap :D :D :D ....

When I fit the new Exhaust I'm going to add an extra Hanger, so if it breaks there again it won't drop !! This Van and our Climate eats Exhausts, this system is 14 months old, looked fine, and I yanked the hell outta it when checking the Van on Friday (y)

OK OK, enuf of all this, here is a pic of Brabus V8 R170 Car # 5 ....

And, (still fitted with the 245 / 40 x 18 "Ditch Finder specials" that came with them), here is my Car with the Top Secret "MY PRECIOUS", which I went to pick up :) :) :) :) :) ....

This is simply the ICING ON THE CAKE for me and for my Project, I am absolutely over the moon, I will be fitting and balancing my new 255 / 35 x 18 and 235 / 40 x 18's hopefully some time this week, when I've caught up with some work.

My SLK 5.0 V8 Lazulithe Blau Brabus Replicar # 6 is safely tucked up in the "new" Garage, we have some tasty updates coming soon 😈

Sadly my new radiator turned up damaged, so that's gotta go back :(

TTFN

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
904 Posts
Those are beautiful!! I will only suggest one thing unless you have another secret trip planned for it and not telling anyone lol

EXHAUST :oops:

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #348
CAT's and downpipes done, so far, the rest of the Exhaust is on the jobs to do list, together with the Emotion "Butterfly" mod, which all the latest AMG's have, most parts are here now ;)

What the hell, sod the expense ...................

I just bought 2 Brand new 235 / 40 x 18 Uniroyal Rainsports to match the New Uniroyal 255 Rears I bought a week or so back, I can't bring myself to fit those others I had for the Fronts on these beautiful rims ;)

Hopefully they will arrive in synch with the "any day now" TPMS Sensor Valves and not hold up fitting of Tyres too much, maybe towards the end of the week if the Rears were anything to go by ;)

So that's the project cash pot FUBAR'd once again lol, but I did net and land a large almost all profit 4 figure ££££ job on an ML this morning :D

Shhhhh Don't tell SWMBO :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte, CL600, S500, BMW 330cic, E65 BMW 750LI. Dodge Ram
800 Posts
Simply a Masterpiece!!!! This is why you suggested to tune my car with the 5.4 data file instead of plug an play. So that it runs as good as yours!!!

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #350
I've seen 3 of the Brabus Cars, 2 in the flesh so to speak, AFAIK they are all in Museums / Collections now, except no one seems to know exactly where the other 2 are ??????????

And now, there have been some very odd recent sightings ........................

Apparently there is a mysterious Lazulithe Blau Post - Facelift Car, could this be the never before sighted # 6 Car which Brabus deny ever building because it is not PC ???????????????

It is alledged that that Car came much later, fitted with a tuned 24V 5.0 M113 V8 Engine in it, uprated Suspension and huge Brembo Brakes, plus some more modern In Car Technology ..................

Experts are baffled, the Factory won't comment, MB afficionado's are scratching their heads ....................

No - one knows much at all about that Car except it lives somewhere in the Scottish Highlands and can often be sighted howling the Nor-western Twisties on a nice summer day .....................

🤣 :ROFLMAO: 🤣 :ROFLMAO: 🤣

It's a nice little World in my bubble ...................

(Before anyone else says it ;) )

Chow for now

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
904 Posts
CAT's and downpipes done, so far, the rest of the Exhaust is on the jobs to do list, together with the Emotion "Butterfly" mod, which all the latest AMG's have, most parts are here now ;)
Can't wait to hear it!!!

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #352
LOL, I've had my first "self isolator" yesterday, who couldn't be bothered to let me know she wasn't coming in for her booking ..........................

Jeez, she lives in Glenelg, in the middle of freakin' nowhere, she'd stand more chance of catching the Flu if she were on Mars ..............................

So I politely told her I'm booked up for the foreseeable future when I rang to see why the Car wasn't here 🤣

Anyway, that gave me a chance to go to my mates place, strip the old Tyres off the new Wheels and fit all 4 New Tyres, as the 235 / 40 Fronts turned up this morning :)

SLK is in da building for the weekend, see what I can get done ;)

Chow for now, hopefully a few juicy bits will get sorted this weekend .................

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #353
OK, so that's the Wheels all final fitted now.

Today's tasks is the Radiator and Fan Fixings ..............

A trial Relocation using the old Cooling and A/C Radiators to get all holes and mounts drilled, then re paint the tatty looking Radiator Mounting before packing up this evening :)

I've also got to fabricate a new Lower Trans Cooler metal pipe because that one is NLA fro MB now, but I have the right parts to do that too :)
The Upper (longer and more intricate one) has arrived from MB ;)

I've got plenty to be getting on with ;) When the R170 is back OTR then I can finish the "New" Garage and get it fitted out as a Paint Booth :)

Thankfully I do now have "Corona" ..................

My Beer Fridge has 72 bottles in it, and my shed has another 10 cases of 18 bottles each 🤣

🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺 🍺

The whole wide world has gone completely mental, and everyone has bought pallet loads of Bog Rolls and Canned Food :ROFLMAO: ...............

The media propaganda is rife, but at the moment the various Governments have got "The Masses" exactly where they have wanted them for many years .............

Sat in front of their Screens at home, working from home, gathering places closed for the forseeable, human contact is advised against, and everyone is now under almost total control :rolleyes: ....................

What ? Me ? A Cynic ? ...............

"The Hell Yeah" 🤣

Will this affect me in any way ?

"The Hell Nah" ;) ....................

Venison, Beef, Lamb, Fish, Prawns, Scallops, Fresh Milk, Fresh Eggs etc etc is in abundance all around me ....................

Virtually all for free, after all the local Poachers will all still need there Quads and 4x4's fixed, so I don't even need to get my Rods and Line or the 303 out ;)

In my little world it looks like moving to a remote area was a good idea after all, and our roads will hopefully be desolate of tourists this summer, so plenty of room to exercise my V8 R170 soon ................

LOL, if I'm gonna stockpile anything it'll be a large Bowser full of Super Unleaded :D :D :D :D

TTFN, updates on number five zero soon :)

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #354
OK, so a quick update ..............

I've a feeling this Radiator is going to take up the whole weekend, but at least if I get it finished tomorrow that's another job ticked off the list.

I'm currently working with the Original Radiator and A/C Condenser Rad, until I have the whole "Rad Pack" as I want it and easy to R&I from below, and I'll likely use this assembly for a short while just to shake it all down and make sure I'm not going to damage the brand new ones if a problem arises etc etc.

Once all my fabrications etc are finished and tested for a while it will be a breeze to fit the new parts, as that is the whole reason for me doing all this extra fabrication work right now ;)

I've finished with trimming the Fan Shroud, and fabricating 4 aluminium Brackets to hold the Fan assy securely to the Radiator ;) ....

It is now a good fit on the Radiator and although fiddly I have managed to make 4 aluminium mounting brackets for that, 2 top and 2 bottom which require absolute minimal mods to the Radiator .............
Basically just trimming 2 bits of plastic at the top plastic Radiator Frame and then drilling them for the top 2 M6 Bolts, and then drilling 2 M6 Holes in the aluminium bottom of the Radiator Frame for the bottom 2 bolts, it is now nice and secure :)

Top Mountings for the Radiator Pack are now sussed, will be onto those in the morning :)

Bye for now,

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #355
Hi Guys, Coffee Break update ...............

This is going well today, slow and steady wins the race with this one :)

I now have a "small fettle" on the very top rail of the forward A/C Condenser Rad left to do and it will give me approx 10mm further forwards and upwards, that will be it's final resting place.

I will also likely trim back the redundant Viscous Coupling threaded boss on the Water Pump by around 10mm so it is level with the 10mm headed M6 Pump Pulley bolts, that will then allow for a "Belt and Braces" plenty of clearance for any forward movement of the whole Engine under very hard Braking ;) ....

And whilst I was in there, I pulled the Right Headlamp and fitted a good used Heater Auxiliary Pump, as ever since I owned the car I have had a code for that in HVAC Controller, and it hasn't worked ;)

Tick that job off the list ..............

Heater Auxiliary Pump replacement ✅

Hopefully "I Vill Be Back" at close of play today with a second fixed fully functioning Cooling System :)

If not, Rad Pack will definitely be all mounted and I do have most of tomorrow on my R170 V8 as well, as I just got to finish off an ICE H/U Install on a Toyota MR2 (about 1 hr or less left to do) ;)

TTFN,

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #356 (Edited)
Coffee Break again, I missed Lunch lol ..............

It's all going dreadfully slow, but a nip here and a tweak there and it's slowly coming together.

Of course once it's in and all fixings are sorted it will all have to come apart again to paint stuff and then fit it back together with the New Condenser and Cooling Radiators.

I did the little mod to the New Condenser Rad at the same time as I did the old one for mock up purposes, (basically trimmed out a \__/ shaped piece in the centre of the top of the frame) to clear the dipping Landing Panel behind the Bonnet (Hood) Lock ;) ....

I've also now taken the 10mm + excess off the Water Pump Nose, because I'm not running a Viscous Fan it serves no useful purpose ....

The only mods I have to do to the new Cooling Radiator is drill 4 x 6mm holes for the Fan Assy Brackets and trim off 2 Plastic Lugs that are redundant and just get in the way, 10 minutes max ;)

I did put a huuuuuuuge Lever Bar between Transmission Mount and it's Saddle and used my 16 stone (224 lbs) to try and heave the whole lot forward, to see how far it will move under Heavy Braking, answer is almost bugger all, I only got it to budge about 5mm if that, so lets quadruple it for safety's sake, still only 20mm, and I now have almost double that :)

All Radiator Hoses are now sorted, not quite happy with the Top Hose arrangement yet, but have a few options for that yet, AC Pipes all fit, and the 2 Flexi Hoses for the Transmission Cooler are easy enough ;)

I'll get the lower Radiator Mounting Crossmember Drilled and Trimmed before packing up for Beer and Hot Tub tonight :)

Chow for now :)

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #357
Hi Guys,

OK, so close of play last night saw all the "Radiator Pack engineering works" done, now all I've got to do is strip it all down, paint the Brackets, clean up the rust scabbies, Seam Sealer the welded in plates, and for now, until the coming Winter 2020 Body Resto, I will get it all painted in "Epoxy Primer" (it's like liquid "Araldite" and not porous like regular Primers), then re-assemble it all with the new Radiator and A/C Condenser.

So just the Paintwork will take up at least the rest of today, and then the Car has to go back in it's Garage for the week, as I've a load of customer work to do ;)

It now takes mere minutes to R&I the complete Radiator Pack from underneath, the hook shaped top Mounts make it easy to lift the Rad Pack and slot in, which then hangs there securely whilst fitting the lower Frame :)

The lower Frame was loaded upwards slightly before drilling it's Bolt holes so it is supporting the weight, the upper Mounts are just steadying the top fore and aft ;)

I'm pretty certain now that this is the last of the "Beast" Re-engineering jobs done, but IMHO well worth the effort to retain the Mercedes Cooling parts, and make it a pleasant job to work on should the need arise :)

All the other pre Road Test stuff is just simple "bolt on plug and play" parts swaps, like for example Diff Swap, TCU Swap, Front Spring "Height" Pads, and 4 Wires to sort the Cooling Fan Wiring .

Sadly due to no Coolant yet I can't run the Engine through it's paces and up to temperature, but as soon as I can guys, as soon as I can ;)

Oh, BTW, in the first pic below, those horrible M6 Self Tapper Bolts and Spire Clips on the 2 new top Rad Mount Brackets will be replaced before Paintwork today with "Rivet Nuts" and proper Bolts / Washers, I just did them temporarily so I could crack on with getting the lower mounting frame fixed without a Rad Pack falling on my head :rolleyes: ....

Top Mounting Brackets ....

Lower Mounting Frame M8 Bolts take 2 mins to get off with Air / Battery 3/8" Drive Ratchet, and once cut to length they will go in the other way round into Captive Nuts fixed into the Rad Pack support frame ....

From above, final clearance on Water Pump Pulley, 35mm ....

View from underside of Fan clearance, that'll do me :D ....

Back soon ;) ........................................................................

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #358
Well, now the UK is in lock-down, sod it, I'm making the most of it ................

I will finish one more job this week, perhaps tomorrow or Thursday, so the SLK is getting all my attention right now ..................

A load more parts have arrived today, including a 2.5m length of 76mm Exhaust Tubing, my remaining "Top Secret" Air Intake parts, and the final little Rubber "Cotton Reel" Mount for the A/C Condenser Pipes :)

I worked on it most of the day yesterday, same today, here's where I'm at ..........................

Captive nuts welded into Landing Panel, I even found some nice M6 Mercedes E Torx Bolts, and gave it a good clean up to get rid of all the filthy Waxoyl, it's all gonna be resprayed when I get to Phase 2 Body Resto next winter, (if we are all still here by then :p ), so I'll not fuss it too much right now, I just want to seal it all up to prevent rusting ....

The new lower Mounting Plates Seam Sealered and Primed with Etch Primer then Epoxy Primer and finally a brushed on coat of Satin Black for now, I even cleaned up and Primered a few scabby areas to prevent 'em getting worse until Body Resto time, all rust was first treated with Bilt Hamber :) ....

Paint is all drying now, so after lunch I'll build up the New AC and Cooling Rads Pack, with Fan etc and have also Etch Primed and painted the Ally Fan Brackets, Upper Rad Brackets etc that I made over the weekend :) ....

Might get it all installed later today, or at worst tomorrow :)

Nuvver update soon ;)

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #359
So I'll leave you all with more Radiator Pack piccies, this is the final fit, just waiting on Lower Mounting Bracket to dry, all Hoses now done except Auto Cooler Hoses, and Top Rad Hose, which I'll sort out tomorrow ;) ....

More updates coming tomorrow, should be able to fill it with Coolant and run it up to temp :)

TTFN,

·
Registered
S500 4Matic 2005
904 Posts
Great work as usual but please look at those horn brackets :confused: My ocd won't let me sleep till they are out, sanded and painted lol

341 - 360 of 410 Posts