Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

321 - 340 of 410 Posts

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #321 (Edited)
OK, so the biggest issue now is that the Fan is very tight on the Water Pump Viscous Thread, which is of course redundant on this install ...............

Unless I used a C43 AMG Viscous Fan and Shroud ................ Nah !! ;)

Then again I could use C43 AMG Pusher Fans on the front, "Yeah but no but", no idea how they work, PWM from ME2.8 ?? Temp Sensor ?? Will they actually physically fit without more mods ?? ................... Nah !! ;)

The issue is, my Fan will fit, but no way to get it in and out with the Engine in, and no way would I get the Engine in and out easily with the Fan on ....................

Hmmmmmm, I been chewing on this overnight ;) .......................

I have a plan 😈 😈 😈 ..................

Let's run with the 600W Temic Fan I just bought and have already trimmed to fit the Radiator ;)

Likely it will turn into a days work, as there is some cutting, fabricating and paintwork touch ins on the Inner Chassis Rails beside the Radiator to sort afterwards.

I'm thinking of the poor soul who might need to change the Radiator or Water Pump later down the line, (that'll be me then) ;) .....................

The Radiator Support underneath is spot welded to the 2 forward Chassis Rails so lets cut it off neatly.
Then I'll fabricate and weld onto the Rad Support a small right angle new section so it bolts on to said Chassis Rails underside (with captive nuts in 'em), and while I'm at it, there is plenty room to move the whole Rad and Fan chebang forward 25mm up to 50 mm and down 25mm to clear the angle on the Bonnet Landing Panel as the Rad heads Forwards a wee bittie ;)

It doesn't need much forwards to make a big difference to clearances and access, I'm guessing I'll probably settle around 35 mm Forward, less is more in this case ;)

Breakfast time now, Engine is coming out again in a short while, then I'm gonna totally remove all that stuff, fit that little metal Vac Pipe, sort the 2 remaining pipe tweaks, and after that if time I'll drop the Engine and Box back in and bolt it all up, Car can then get pushed out for the onslaught of work this week just leaving the Rad to relocate ;)

Already Sorted since chucking it in the 'ole .............

Top Hose Assembly ✅

Bottom Radiator Hose ✅

A/C Pipes ✅

Charging and Battery to Starter Cable ✅

Starter Cranking Wire extended ✅

A/C Compressor Plug changed ✅

A/C Rear Bolt Bracket ✅

Trans Cooler Pipes ✅

Back later with another juicy update hopefully :)

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #322
Hi again,

Mega incoming from yesterday .................

OK, so I finished at 8:30 pm last night, solved everything I need to before final fitting the Engine and Transmission, sod the paying work again for today, the install is happening today 😈

Here's the mega update from yesterday .......................

Trial fit of Airbox no problems here ✅

Now pulled engine back out ....................

Power Steering Feed Pipe re shaped to get better route ✅

Power Steering Return Pipe re shaped and clipped further back, Flexi Hose shortened ✅

Main Battery to Starter Cable Clip re orientated up 45 degrees ✅

Radiator Lower Support has 3 spot welds each side, lets drill 'em out and remove it ✅

Rad Support off, the 3 Holes will have Captive Nuts welded on or Chimney Clip Nuts, and then it can be easily unbolted from underneath ✅

Fill the Spot Weld Drill Holes with Weld and then buff flat ✅

Fabricate some new thicker / longer & lower Radiator Support Retaining Plates and spot weld x 4 onto Chassis Rails, (when I settle on the final Radiator position these will be drilled to suit the 3 Bolt Holes in the Radiator Support) and trimmed down to final shape before seam Sealer and Paintwork ✅

This shows the original location of the Radiator Support, so you can see how much room for movement forwards and downwards I have ....

This shows where I suspect it will end up, which is 35mm Forwards and 25mm Downwards ....

All Radiator Mount Fabrications that would be awkward with the Engine in place now sorted ✅

Vacuum Pipe for Emotion Exhaust now installed, I rummaged high and low and found enough "3 pipe rubbers" to make a nice factory looking install ✅

So I refitted the 2 Heat Shields and dropped the Engine back in the 'ole, bolted it's mounts down and packed up at 20:30 hrs last night, a good days graft (y)

Trans going in right now, typing this at Coffee time, back later or in the morning with another mega update :D :D :D

TTFN,

·
Registered
Maserati Quattroporte, CL600, S500, BMW 330cic, E65 BMW 750LI. Dodge Ram
800 Posts
Ohhh Dave, you are making a monster lol.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Will an N/A 55 motor also swap with the n/a 500 motors?

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #326
It's been a good day, I'm going to try an initial fire up in a very short while, on Video of course.

If all my R&D, ECU Meddlings etc over the last year were worthwhile, and assuming I've not messed any connections etc up she should fire up first turn of the Key ;)

If that happens, she'll be LOUUUUUD, only the Downpipes and Primary CAT's are on right now.

At that point I will bump the Car into D and let it roll forward a little, and then R, just to check the Trans has enough Oil, (kinda guessed it as the whole chebang was completely drained ;).

There is no Radiator or Coolant right now, (Transmission Cooler is linked between the 2 pipes), so after a quick Forward and Reverse a quick Jazz the Go Pedal and off, don't wanna hot spot the beggar if we get that far ;)

Strap yourselves in for the ride, I'll BRB after Coffee with a Video and one of these ......................

:D :( :mad: or 😭

C ya'all soon ;)

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #327

:D :D :D :D :D

"Number 5 (zero) IS ALIVE Stephanie" .......................

Wooooooooooooo bloomin' Hooooooooooo ...................................

Shes on all 8 sounds wicked, load of Air in power Steering but that will settle down when I can run 'er up to temperature ;)

Video is uploading now, says about 63% heaven knows what noises your gonna get from me, I was almost jumping up and down in the Seat ;)

Video says done, I'll go get the linky .................

BRB ;)

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #329
It's Beer and Hot Tub Time :)

Thread will go a little quiet now for a while, there is 5 Cars queued up outside the Workshop, so I'm a very happy bunny now, lets get some Customers work done, I'll post up a list of stuff left to do perhaps tomorrow ;)

Cheers for now, Dave

·
Registered
2007 E220CDI, 1990 300E-24V, 1987 W124 3.6 AMG build 1993 E500 W124, 94 320CE, 1997 W140 S280
1,366 Posts
Congrats Dave - very well done! On a project like that the first startup is a huge relief and needed after so many hours work.

I usually sleep very well on the night a project car has successfully fired up!

·
Registered
800 Posts
Oh my lord!!! 😱😱😱 lol. That thing howling lol. In an SLK!!!! That is Brabus work.

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
Hi Guys,

So, firstly thank you all sooooo much for the kind comments, including all the way along this journey, it is all very much appreciated , yeah, it's one helluva emotional milestone :D

Although there is still a lot to do it (should) be all down hill now :)

Basic simple stuff in comparison to the 2 biggest potential "Deal Breakers" that I had along the way which were :-

1) Sorting out that ECU Starting / Cranking / Cruise / Lim issue which has tripped up so many guys trying this Conversion along the way ;)

2) Also the Starter Motor relocation issues, which as this is the only RHD conversion I'm aware of, others have not had to face ;) ..................

One thing I never even listened for yesterday was the Cranking Sound before she Fired, and now it has a Torque Converter and Transmission fitted it sounds absolutely no different to how any other M112 / M113 MB Engine sounds when Cranking :D

I'll get on with some paying work today now, and later today I'll post up the list of To Do's before we can get an initial road test, and also need to order more parts, so we'll get up a Shopping List ;)

I have already found that since removing the Radiator Pack the A/C Condenser Rad is FUBAR, has corroded and split, so I've ordered a new one, depending what I find when I take it off the front of the Coolant Radiator I might just buy a new Coolant Rad as well ;) Also both Transmission Oil Cooler Pipes that come from the Radiator to where they joint at the Flexi Hoses are badly corroded so will either buy new from MB, or fabricate 2 new ones if NLA ;)

Back soon :)

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #335 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words Sonny :)

I have always maintained that there is no such thing as a Conversion that can't be done, or a Car that can't be fixed, it's like eating an Elephant, just do it one bite at a time 🤣

Yeah, there are some that really shouldn't be done, like an M275 TT V12 SLK R171 ............................................................................................................................................................. :unsure:
If I ever do do another project in my lifetime, dats gonna be da one :D

So, back to "Number 5 (zero)", she fires up sweet every time, Power Steering is now sweet, no Air / Cavitation noise any more, and I've got the Trans Level spot on :)

IIRC from a full rebuild, (so totally dry), a 722.6 Trans takes 7 litres, I got 6.5 litres in this one lol, I drained it fully from the Pan, and put the Converter upside down in a bucket where it stood from the time it came outta the Donor S Class until yesterday morning when I refitted the Transmission.
That's good news, once the Car has done 1000 miles I plan on changing all the new Oils and Filters one more time, including Trans Plug Pilot Bushing, remove Engine Sump and clean out the Strainer, etc etc etc ;)

Car drove fine from Workshop to it's Garage :)

So, what's left to do before I get a drive up the road in the Car ...................

In a rough order of priority / importance that I'll probably change anyways :ROFLMAO:

Send off the V5 "Log Book" now to DVLA with new Engine Capacity and Engine Number corrections to be done :)

Finish Radiator Re-location / Bracketry, get some Coolant in it and do the PWM Cooling Fan Wiring.

Fit Front Right Brake upgrade, Caliper is now Painted and all parts ready to go on.

Fabricate and fit Anti-rollbar Bracket Spacers.

Fit the 2.87 Ratio Diff Unit.

Fit the 18" Wheels and Tyres :D

Fit the Custom Coded V8 TCU Unit, big thanks to @Kolleso ;)

Fabricate the rest of the Exhaust System including the Emotion Exhaust install and set up.

Sort the Air Box fresh air intake Pipework, might go conservatively lairy on that as this is a "Brabus Replicar" ya know 😈

A few Stainless P Clips to add here and there :)

Re Gas A/C.

Tidy up my temporary connections on the few Wires in the Fuse Box ..............

Yeah yeah, ok ok I confess I confess .................

I did a quick temporary job with Crimp Terminals on those odd 9 ? Wires I mentioned a way back, but it's OK for now, thing is though I know it's there, so it will get done soon, when the correct terminal kits arrive, currently on back order from MB ;)

Anything else that rears it's head on road test, like fit a Toilet Seat in the Drivers Seat and a Bog Roll Holder on the Door Card 🤣

Then it's MOT Test and enjoy the Car once again for the Summer :)

Bye for now ........................

·
W220 Moderator
2006 S 500
1,134 Posts
Afternoon O Great Bender Of Wrenches..
What a GREAT startup! Made little tiny spiders with cold feet run up and down my spine :) Have followed every update and have sooooo enjoyed the journey.

Congrats and a massive "Well Done" Dave. For someone that waterskis, and then forgets to put on waterskis,.. this has turned out to be a universal lesson in the proper approach to engineering a task.

This summer you had best have a helmet cam on !

Cheers mate !

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #337
Hey Richard,

Great to hear from you buddy, yes I will do a little bit of video lol, although here in UK we have to be very careful, because say if I was speeding, the Cops can seize the Video Camera and next thing instead of a Speeding Ticket I'd be up on a Dangerous Driving or some other trumped up charge ;)

But yeah, I know where there is one or two quieter Roads fairly locally ;)

Another couple of posts in a minute, just wee notes etc on how it's all going ;)

Cheers for now, Dave

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #338
OK, another Video will hopefully get done tomorrow, with my new Camera, before I head South to get the top secret parts 😈

My SLK 5.0 will be on the lift so easier to get views all around my handiwork thus far, might even combine a Video with a "Red Pen" ( @Squishband ) 🤣

Shopping list ..............

Here's the latest load of bits ordered yesterday :-

1) Bottom Radiator Hose (it's old and soft) ✅

2) New Coolant Radiator, (its ok but old and likely the original) ✅

3) Top (long) Trans Oil Cooler Pipe to Radiator, (very bad corrosion) ✅

4) Two off 5 burl Upper Spring Pads for front Suspension Springs ✅

5) Two off Lower Spring Shims (where Spring sits in Lower Wishbone Arm) ✅

6) Various new "Brabus Replicar worthy" 😈 Air Intake Pipework Parts ✅

7) Suitable Sized Stainless 'P' Clips ✅

I will try and get the Right Front Brake done on Saturday morning after doing a Vehicle Check on the Workshop Van, prior to it's long journey South ;)

More soon :)

I have a feeling the next 2 weekends after this one will see some hellish good updates :D :D :D

Ta Ta ;)

·
W220 Moderator
6,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #339
Coffee time lol,

OK, I just stumbled upon this Video, I'd forgotten about this Car, not sure if it's an Osterle Conversion or some other German effort ;) ....

Auto Trans Mapping

Listen to that thing shift, Part Throttle Up-shifts are awful, it sounds to me like he has to let off the Throttle to get it to Up-shift, except at WOT :(

I see no signs of the Driver using the Gear-stick Tippy, or having Paddle Shifts, so I don't think he's holding Gears in Manual Mode ;)

That's why I said "I hope the Programming is correct on my V8 TCU" a few posts back ;)
Jeez guys I could not live with that, however I / we think it should have been addressed when my TCU was Custom Coded !!

Emotion Exhaust

Someone a way back was wondering why / where I was going with Emotion Exhaust :)

Again, hell I could not put up with that Exhaust Note all the time, hence, having been there done that and got the T Shirt when I was much younger, I now know that Noise does not = Power ;)

So by setting up my Emotion Exhaust properly what I hope to achieve is that lovely V8 "open header type rumble" under 2 conditions :-

1) Upon Cranking and Firing it will sound Loud for a matter of up to 20 seconds and then settle sweetly into a quiet burble at idle.

2) At or at very near WOT again it will bark, but as the Revs and Vacuum rise and one lifts off the Throttle she will go back to sounding like a V8 with a decent Exhaust ;)

Other than those 2 conditions it should sound just like a normal 320 only with that lovely "Busy yowling" sound that a V8 has over a 6 cylinder motor when piped through a single Rear Silencer

So that's where I'm going with Emotion Exhaust ;)

I expect it will involve some R&D into Vac Pipe diameter, and Actuator Spring Tension, also perhaps a Vac Solenoid triggered by the Kick-down Switch or a Micro Switch, perhaps even a Timer Relay, and also perhaps a small Vac Reservoir, but until I hook it all up i simply won't know as this is all a new territory for me ;)

More soon, work is going well today, I might do a short Video in a while depending how well my "practice run video", pausing and commentary with the help of the Cats last night has come out :D

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,822 Posts
On my 2002 brabus clk , in Manual mode my transmission does not automatically upshift - it will bang against the rev limiter and stay In gear

in the w215 and w220 it will automatically upshift even in Manual mode, and will never hit rev limiter . These are all 722.6 v8 m113 based cars so I don’t know why the difference

321 - 340 of 410 Posts