Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

SLK 280 Ordered

4K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  portzy 
#1 ·
Test drove a SLK 200 (auto) at the weekend - impressed quicker than I was expecting.

I have previously tested the SLK 350 but there was no prospect of getting one at that time price & waiting list. Things have improved for me. Very quick - unsure about the 7G box seemed to be a bit frantic compared to the 5 speed on the 200. However, it was last year when I tested it.

Dealer told me just received details re : SLK 280 - £30,950 (or £30,975) - 231 HP & 300 NM. 0 - 60 in 6.2 / 6.3.

Available for June build July delivery. Ordered it.

Just need to decide on auto or manual and spec including colour.

Will have to ask dealer to arrange for the a 350 so I can try the 7G again - they keep pushing the residual value aspect. No real chance of a 350 manual test though.

Anyway just wanted to tell people that 280 is close in UK & seemingly available quickly.

Karl

See less See more
#2 ·
If you want it for the sports car thrill, get the manual! I have it and think it's great. I love the involvement of the manual and it is very satisfying. No matter how quick you row the gates, it's there for you. You won't be dissappointed. I test drove an auto and while it seemed good, I never really considered it for myself. And the salesman said the same thing about resale and how only a small percentage of MB are sold as manuals,etc, etc. Personally, this is MB's first real good manual sports car and that's saying a lot, so I don't think it will hurt resale at all. There will be those in search of it.

#3 ·
You'll be one of the first with a 280, congrats!

How much cheaper will the 280 be compared to the 350 (to buy, insure, etc). The power difference is just 40hp, so there should be enough thrills to be had [;)]

Get manual if possible. Auto is fun, but will be an expensive option to add-on, and it's never quite the same as having full control of the car.

#4 ·
Current prices for the 350 are £34,930, thats up by £660 or 1.9% on the original price. The £30950 is a £4000 saving on the 350, and £2900 more than the 200.
There are some differences in spec between the 350 and 200 here (electric/memory options included in 350, and 17 inch wheels). I think the 280 looks like a good deal, especially if it comes with the 17 inch wheels.

#5 ·
Congratulations on your order.

At that price the 280 sounds like a bit of a bargain over the 350 and could well become the model of choice. Be very interesting to see if it includes the 17" wheels and the electric seats.

If this model had been available when I ordered my car, I'm sure it is the one I would have gone for. It will be interesting how this affects the residuals of 350's, since I can see the choice coming down to second-hand 350 or brand new 280.

#6 ·
I'm talking to my dealer about the 280 at the moment. Spec wise, the only difference over the 200K is the uprated *16"* wheels (no 17s as standard).

The version of the pricelist he has only gives wheel upgrade prices from a 200K or a 350, but not the standard 280 wheels.

Which gearbox did you go with in the end, Karl? Did you get a price for wheel options?

Congratulations, btw :)

Alistair

#7 ·
The internal fax I saw stated that the 280 is the same spec as the 200 except comes with code 606 wheels - not sure which ones they are - not got the brochure with me at work !

So I don`t think it has electric seats [:(]

The auto option is the 7 G rather than 5 speed.

Not yet decided on whether to go for auto or manual. I wll try to get a drive in a 350 auto to see if I like it. No real chance of a manual test drive though.

Karl

#9 ·
joyfulheart - 4/13/2005 10:28 AM

Current prices for the 350 are £34,930, thats up by £660 or 1.9% on the original price. The £30950 is a £4000 saving on the 350, and £2900 more than the 200.
There are some differences in spec between the 350 and 200 here (electric/memory options included in 350, and 17 inch wheels). I think the 280 looks like a good deal, especially if it comes with the 17 inch wheels.
....But, remember, if you want extras (like proper ICE, Sat Nav, metallic paint etc. etc.) you are looking at over £40,000 for a reasonable spec 350 (bout 5K more than list), so a 280 with a few toys is gonna be about 36K sterling (you can get a 55 in the USA for that[V][V])

p.s. definately go for a MT

#10 ·
Yeah

With the options I am looking at :-

17" wheels
Metallic Paint (Tellur Silver)
Leather
CD Changer
Remote Hood
Rain Sensing Wipers
Heated Seats & Airscarf
Folding Mirrors (Can`t believe have to pay for those !)
Possibly Auto
Possibly Sports Suspension

It totals around £36K

I have been offered a new SLK350 (Auto) [basically same spec - wipers & in Iridium] for £38K ! Unregistered UK car.

Now not sure - could have 350 within 2 weeks !

£36K for an AMG 55 ? That hurts - I don`t wantto know what a 350 / 280 costs there. We Brits get charged a lot more than the US and rest of Europe [:(]

Cheers

Karl

#11 ·
Interesting stuff! I'm in the 'queue' for a 350 but haven't got a build date or final spec yet. Just wondering whether to go for a fully specced 280 rather than the 350? Anyone know where to get a full UK price list including all options? This sounds like a very promising option for me. Does anyone think there would be a problem swapping my 350 order for a 280 considering I haven't speced it yet?

#12 ·
SuperSportBilly - 4/14/2005 7:45 PM

Yeah

17" wheels
Leather
CD Changer
Remote Hood
Rain Sensing Wipers
Heated Seats & Airscarf
Possibly Auto

It totals around £36K

I have been offered a new SLK350 (Auto) [basically same spec - wipers & in Iridium] for £38K ! Unregistered UK car.

Now not sure - could have 350 within 2 weeks !

£36K for an AMG 55 ? That hurts - I don`t wantto know what a 350 / 280 costs there. We Brits get charged a lot more than the US and rest of Europe [:(]

Cheers

Karl
Again, IMHO

forget auto,

forget remote roof - wait for Mr Bipes in the USA to bring out a proper radio control system

forget CD Changer - use your Sony NW walkman (or IPOD if you don't like music!!) in the Aux socket.

forget rain sensing wipers - in the UK it rains all the time anyway - and if it stops, you can go to your local stealer and have rain-sensing activated

forget heated seats & airscarf - you feel like you've wet yourself when you're driving!!

forget sports suspension - on normal day to day driving, standard is far more copliant & easier to live with

Forget silver[:0] - Silver MB's are like a C"&^("!@S - every C#~T has one!!

Get a COMAND & satnag system - the best extra.

(all IMHO)

#13 ·
Woolly - 4/13/2005 3:04 PM

SuperSportBilly - 4/14/2005 7:45 PM

Yeah

17" wheels
Leather
CD Changer
Remote Hood
Rain Sensing Wipers
Heated Seats & Airscarf
Possibly Auto

Karl
Again, IMHO

forget auto,

forget remote roof - wait for Mr Bipes in the USA to bring out a proper radio control system

forget CD Changer - use you Sony NW walkman (or IPOD if you don't like music!!) in the Aux socket.

forget rain sensing wipers - in the UK it rains all the time anyway - and if it stops, you can go to your local stealer and have rain-sensing activated

forget heated seats & airscarf - you feel like you've wet yourself when you're driving!!

forget sports suspension - on normal day to day driving, standard is far more copliant & easier to live with

Forget silver[:0] - Silver MB's are like a C"&^("!@S - every C#~T has one!!

Get a COMAND & satnag system - the best extra.

(all IMHO)
I have a couple of differences of opinion on the options:
Tellur silver is a great colour, its not like Iridium, and it stands out (Wooly is a lone andradite fanatic, no offence Wooly)
Yes, Comand is excellent, DVD and Navigation, and MP3.
No need for CD changer because the Comand plays MP3s and you can get more than 6 CDs on one MP3 CD, and more again on an MP3 DVD
I like the remote hood, I thought of another reason today: when I park I get out of the car and close the hood, and I can check that the boot opening os not going to bash the car behind (it opens backwards). Any doubts I can stop the process before I dent the boot.
I wish I had got the rain sensing wipers. If I can find a dealer to activate them for me I will reverse this view.
Get heated seats and airscarf, especially when its 5C outside and the roof is down because I am warm and so is my passenger (she would moan like f**k if she was cold). No idea what its like without them, but I would not have the roof down so much.
Mirrors are essential for me on the streets of London
I have MT, no regrets.
I have sports suspension and am really pleased with the feel and handling of the car. Its comfortable too.
Bi Xenons, great for flashing idiot middle lane hugging traffic, and MB wind deflector are worth considering too.

andy, you should be able to change your order, including from 350 to 280, up to about a month before the production date

Prices: use this link

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passenger_cars/home/products/new_cars/slk_class_roadster_facelift/prices.html

#15 ·
joyfulheart - 4/14/2005 8:29 PM

1.)Tellur silver is a great colour, its not like Iridium, and it stands out (Wooly is a lone andradite fanatic, no offence Wooly)

2.)Yes, Comand is excellent, DVD and Navigation, and MP3.

3.)No need for CD changer because the Comand plays MP3s and you can get more than 6 CDs on one MP3 CD, and more again on an MP3 DVD

4.)I like the remote hood, I thought of another reason today: when I park I get out of the car and close the hood, and I can check that the boot opening os not going to bash the car behind (it opens backwards). Any doubts I can stop the process before I dent the boot.

5.)I wish I had got the rain sensing wipers. If I can find a dealer to activate them for me I will reverse this view.

6.)Get heated seats and airscarf, especially when its 5C outside and the roof is down because I am warm and so is my passenger (she would moan like f**k if she was cold). No idea what its like without them, but I would not have the roof down so much.

7.)Mirrors are essential for me on the streets of London

8.)I have MT, no regrets.

9.)I have sports suspension and am really pleased with the feel and handling of the car. Its comfortable too.

10.)Bi Xenons, great for flashing idiot middle lane hugging traffic, and MB wind deflector are worth considering too.

andy, you should be able to change your order, including from 350 to 280, up to about a month before the production date

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/content/unitedkingdom/mpc/mpc_unitedkingdom_website/en/home_mpc/passenger_cars/home/products/new_cars/slk_class_roadster_facelift/prices.html
Hi, your Joyfulness!!

No offence taken at all.

1.)Good thing about our planet is that everyone has ther own opinion - I just find it strange that the majority of MB owners go for silver of some description.

2.) Totally agree.

3.) Also agree, but on IPOD OR Sony NW walkman, you can get up to 20Gig of music on it. When the IPOD (boo hiss (not a fan))integration kit comes out (mid July, I think, it will be brill.

4.) Never realised the trunk lid overhung the rear fender that much when it was opening. I fitted the Bipes radio remote system on my 2003 230SLK and it was superb - just hold the button down for 2 secs.

5.) I just can't see the point of rain sensing wipers - pls enlighten me. One of my pet hates in a car is when you go to spray the windscreen, and the wipers come on automatically - if you've run out of screen fluid, the wipers run several times over the screen, and you can't stop them. I could imagine rain sensing wipers doing the same.

6.) Not impressed, but a) I'm a biker, & b) I think my parents lied to me - I'm really an Inuit - I don't feel the cold. The standard heater is really good, and keeps me warm, roof down at most temps.

7.) I'd go for mirrors too!!??

8.) Every time.

9.) I drove one with sports suspension, and was not sold - bearing in mind, I see the R171 as a GT as well as a sports car, I prefer the compromise.

10.) All you need for middle lane huggers is a small surface to surface guided missile[}:)][}:)]

#17 ·
I'm from Finland, so the cold doesn't bother me that much. But I still very much like the heated seats and airscarf option, and the GF absolutely adores them. I'd say, get 'em!

Just my two cents [;)]

#19 ·
Woolly - 4/13/2005 4:07 PM

joyfulheart - 4/14/2005 8:29 PM

1.)Tellur silver is a great colour, its not like Iridium, and it stands out (Wooly is a lone andradite fanatic, no offence Wooly)

2.)Yes, Comand is excellent, DVD and Navigation, and MP3.

3.)No need for CD changer because the Comand plays MP3s and you can get more than 6 CDs on one MP3 CD, and more again on an MP3 DVD

4.)I like the remote hood, I thought of another reason today: when I park I get out of the car and close the hood, and I can check that the boot opening os not going to bash the car behind (it opens backwards). Any doubts I can stop the process before I dent the boot.

5.)I wish I had got the rain sensing wipers. If I can find a dealer to activate them for me I will reverse this view.

6.)Get heated seats and airscarf, especially when its 5C outside and the roof is down because I am warm and so is my passenger (she would moan like f**k if she was cold). No idea what its like without them, but I would not have the roof down so much.

7.)Mirrors are essential for me on the streets of London

8.)I have MT, no regrets.

9.)I have sports suspension and am really pleased with the feel and handling of the car. Its comfortable too.

10.)Bi Xenons, great for flashing idiot middle lane hugging traffic, and MB wind deflector are worth considering too.

Hi, your Joyfulness!!

No offence taken at all.

1.)Good thing about our planet is that everyone has ther own opinion - I just find it strange that the majority of MB owners go for silver of some description.

2.) Totally agree.

3.) Also agree, but on IPOD OR Sony NW walkman, you can get up to 20Gig of music on it. When the IPOD (boo hiss (not a fan))integration kit comes out (mid July, I think, it will be brill.

4.) Never realised the trunk lid overhung the rear fender that much when it was opening. I fitted the Bipes radio remote system on my 2003 230SLK and it was superb - just hold the button down for 2 secs.

5.) I just can't see the point of rain sensing wipers - pls enlighten me. One of my pet hates in a car is when you go to spray the windscreen, and the wipers come on automatically - if you've run out of screen fluid, the wipers run several times over the screen, and you can't stop them. I could imagine rain sensing wipers doing the same.

6.) Not impressed, but a) I'm a biker, & b) I think my parents lied to me - I'm really an Inuit - I don't feel the cold. The standard heater is really good, and keeps me warm, roof down at most temps.

7.) I'd go for mirrors too!!??

8.) Every time.

9.) I drove one with sports suspension, and was not sold - bearing in mind, I see the R171 as a GT as well as a sports car, I prefer the compromise.

10.) All you need for middle lane huggers is a small surface to surface guided missile[}:)][}:)]
Re 4) it does go back a fair way, maybe 6 inches + at a guess, and the car is quite low. It would probably miss most if not all cars but a 4*4 or other high standing vehicle very close behind would be hit.

Re 5) I didnt get the rain sensing wipers, but find myself playing with the wiper speed when it rains. I love that I can just leave my lights and they go on and off, and imagine it would be the same for the wipers, one less thing to worry about. And they would only scrape the screen if it was dry, when they should not be wiping. Anyway if you get this option and want to operate them manually that is still an option.
Re 6) girlfriend definitely not Inuit
Re 9) I have had some long drives, 2 * 500 miles in a day journeys, and for me its comfortable. Okay, once I started to get a little uncomfortable on a long drive. 99% happy with it.
Re 10) So I am not the only one with guided missile fantasies. surely MB should add these to the option list.

#20 ·
It costs well in excess of £10m per mile to convert 2 lane motorway into 3 lane, yet one beat up old Mondeo can convert it back to 2 lane for £250[}:)][}:)]

(lot to be said for keeping in the inside lane at all possible times - the feds find it harder to track you[8D])

#21 ·
Not For The USA?

I assume that Mercedes USA will continue to refuse to bring the 280 into the States?

#23 ·
Very excited. I've just ordered an SLK280 too!

Get to spend the weekend deciding exactly what spec I want now, altho personal collection is a must...

The SLK350 I test drove had a series of options on it I was contemplating... the Nav was excellent (better than BMW's, and even Lexus' in some respects), AirScarf didn't do it for me, and I think I like the 7GTronic too.

Hard choice of colours... seems to be silver, silver or silver... :(

#25 ·
Dealers haven't got confirmed allocation yet, but they are able to take vehicle orders.

They got a pricing update at the beginning of April (it's on the internal Mercedes InfoNet intranet thing) that tells them the price / options for the SLK280.

Currently scheduling for June build (if you're VERY lucky). Tell your dealer to check their internal information!

A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.