Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230.
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive had several mercedes cars in the past,a C class220 followed by three E class culminating with a v8 420 model.All great cars giving very little trouble.
I bought a 1998 SLK 230 three weeks ago with full service history and 81,000 miles showing backed up by all the paperwork that came with the car.Its in near showroom condition,and its hard to believe its a 14 year old car.Its great fun to drive and Im really happy with it,until yesterday that is!
I started the car and the interior light didnt dim as normal and simply stayed lit,at the same time the vario-roof refused to open,with the red light flashing when pulled back.In the forward position you could hear the pump whirring but nothing in the back position.Everything had worked fine up till then and I had driven the car a few hours earlier and operated the roof twice with no problems. A couple of hours later I tried the roof once more in the driveway and its functioning perfectly once more!
Is this the start of bigger problems? The temperature was around 23 degrees but surely not enough to cause sticking? Im taking the car to Spain shortly where I live,and Im a bit worried now after reading the roof can have problems opening above 30,the temp in Spain is more than that most days!
All advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,415 Posts
Do a search for PSE. My light would not dim when my PSE pump became wet and corroded. The PSE is in the right rearof the trunk. See if it is wet.

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230.
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.Im away on business till the end of August but on my return will strip and clean the PSE board.All being well I may invert it as credited to Bazzles posts. Im pretty handy with the spanners but tend to shy away from all things "electronic",so a couple of questions. Is it OK to simply liberally spray contact cleaner over the whole circuit board then clean lightly with a toothbrush and leave till dry? Then presumably clean the connectors up and spray ONLY them with WD40?
I thought it woulnt hurt to include some silica-gel crystals in the foam box if theres room or is that a bad idea?

·
Registered
2003 SL500 USA model, Auto Transmission, Stock, Aegean Blue Metallic
1,415 Posts
It should be adequate to clean as you said. However, some circuit boards are too corroded to reuse. Do not spray WD40 on the connectors. It is an oil; and may short out the connection. Use dielectric grease on the connectors. I threw out the sponge-like foam box because it really absorbs water. I bagged mine in 2 ziplock bags sealed with silicone. Silica gel packs should be fine. I would not use loose crystals.

Be certain to cure the water problem. One of my drain hoses was installed doubled back on itself so water went into the wheel well. I fixed that, but could not get another hose to drain outside of the wheel well. So, I sealed off the panel at the wheel well with silicon. I found the half round quarter sized rubber drain bulb toward the rear of the wheel well. If you push it a couple of times, it loosens up the sediment, and drains properly. I also stuck a vacuum cleaner hose in there to clean up the sediment.

·
Registered
2002 SLK, 2008 C300, 2010 ML350
117 Posts
Unfortunately I have noticed that 98-99 cars have the most issues, all of them fixable but just headache after headache. The 2002-04 are better as most issues were eliminated. The the 2005 and again, issues being a first year new model..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts