Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my tranny has started to slip a bit in first and seccond. could this be due to an adjustment or vaccume problem or it it most likely the tranny going bad. anything i can do to prolong its life>? thanks for any info.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Over 300,000?

You can adjust it somewhat but if you are over 300,000 it is time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
240D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm at 200,000 right now. would adjusting help slipping? thanks...

I'm at 200,000 right now. would adjusting help slipping? thanks

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Yes, for awhile.

When worn parts start to go, there is only so much you can do. Have you changed the fluid and filter?

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1995 Audi 90quattro Sport
103 Posts
Replace filter and gasket with OEM German parts. Use the best tranny fluid you can afford....

Replace filter and gasket with OEM German parts. Use the best tranny fluid you can afford. I am not sure about the use of Synthetic Tranny fluid in an older MB... ask that question to some other more knowledgeable guys on here. If they say it is okay for the Benz trannies, I would go for MOBIL 1 ATF. The company has been around a long time, and has lots of $$ to devote to R&D.
BE VERY NEAT/TIDY/CLEAN when working with Automatic Transmissions! Slightest dirt and event lint from a rag can screw things up from what I understand.
Then after the filter and fluid change, you can do your adjustments. Search on the forum and you will get some good pages/links/tips.

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
NO!!!!!!!!!

Abso-f#$%ing-lutely do not put synth in an old tranny!!! You could be signing its death warrant. I've know 3 old MB diesels w/ high milage that went syth and two of them have slipping trannies now. Stick with exactly what MB used in it when it left the factory floor! Merc/DexIII of good quality. Syth is great and has fabulous things in many cars that I've serviced, but over so many miles or so many years dino will build up like a varnish on the clutches in the auto trans. When you put synth in it it cleans this off and you start getting slippage. All you can do then is drive it and be pissed that you sound like a fifteen yr old trying to learn how to drive stick and wait for it to blow entirely.
Good Luck!
-m-

·
Registered
1988 300TE, 1995 Audi 90quattro Sport
103 Posts
I have a question regarding: "over so many miles or so many years dino will build up like ...

I have a question regarding: "over so many miles or so many years dino will build up like a varnish on the clutches in the auto trans. When you put synth in it it cleans this off and you start getting slippage."
I am confused. I thought that when something got varnished (whether it is clutches or a carb) the varnishing made something MORE slippery (as in: varnishing a table?)
If the Syn Fluid cleans off this varnish, wouldn't that mean that the clutches would then be not smooth/not varnished, thus having more friction, and able to operate more like when the clutches were new and not varnished/slippery?
I am not dissagreeing with your comment, but rather just asking a question.
Please explain.
Thank you.

·
Registered
1991 300E
117 Posts
This is the way I understand it: The clutches and associated parts wear down w/ time and...

This is the way I understand it: The clutches and associated parts wear down w/ time and the extra play between them allows room for varnish build up. Now, varnish build up is bad on anything, but in this case it decreases the measurable distance between worn parts and basically lets you think that your transmission is not worn. The varnish just allows you, maybe another few years before you need to replace. If you switch to synth and you get slippage in your tranny it was on the way out anyway, but you might get a little more out of it if you stick to dino.
On top of that automatics are very finicky on any car and yuo should never put anything in that wasn't put in it at the factory. Hell, I've been told I should use a piece of silk wipe my dipstick so there's no chance of lint or fibers getting into the tranny!
If anyone can enlighten further that would be great. Whan you start researching auto trannies you start to understand why Mercedes calls it a "unit replacement" item; Only recommended matience is oil/filters every 15k.
-m-

·
Registered
240D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i have to change the filter and fluid this weekeend when I am home(not much time) it it...

i have to change the filter and fluid this weekeend when I am home(not much time) it it fairly staight forward to remove the pan and then change the filter? any special tools besides a ratchet set and such? thanks

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
The Mercedes national technical directer says not to use synthetic in old Mercedes trans...

The Mercedes national technical directer says not to use synthetic in old Mercedes transmisions, the risks do not match the rewards.

When you drop the pan it will speak volumes on what you find. If the PO has neglected changing the fluid, with trash in the pan and color of the fluid as a clue; do not be shy about changing it again in 30 to 90 days along with the filter. The fresh fluid can break more varnish and trash loose and start clogging the filter again.

Then you can look at adjusting the vacuum modulator, some people make a gauge etc. I do it through trial and error and seat of the pants.

Been studying Porsches, daughter wants one espcially a 911/912, but will consider other models if clean and priced right. Ran into a man at the local slavage yard who bought an 82 911 targa for 3K with a "bad engine" that really needed a tuneup.
John Gregg

·
Registered
Mercedes 1979 280ce
179 Posts
change transmission fliud

No special tools are required to change the transmission fluid and filter. You'll probably need new washers on the drain plug. Be sure and tighten the bolts in a criss cross pattern a little bit at a time. It's a little tricky to get the gasket seated properly. Make sure you inspect the gasket seal closely before you head off down the road.

John
1979 280CE
1978 280E

·
Registered
240D
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys....i changed the filter and got the gasket seated fine. hafter I put everyt...

thanks guys....i changed the filter and got the gasket seated fine. hafter I put everything back together and filled up the tranny, i noticed it leaking slowly from the bolt attaching the filler tube to the pan. everything looked ok, so i took out the bolt, put it back in with new washers and it was doign the same thing. eventually i noticed a hairline crack in the pan near the bolt :( i didnt tighten it too much, dont know how this happened. ordered a new pan from benz at $150. probably best to go with new rather than used, no? this is turning out to be an expensive job.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.