1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1998 C200
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Long time lurker, shy poster......now with a problem :(

So I have a '98 C200 (Australian delivered), and have a somewhat weird problem with the power steering. It seems like the high pressure hoses (maybe low pressure return ones as well?) are leaking at the screw hose clamps, crimps to the rubber sections..and other strange places.

Also, fluid seems to be coming out of the reservoir cap, why's that? the level was low when I checked and topped it up with the Febi Bilstein fluid from the dealership.

I've snapped a few pics with my iPhone to show.
Why is this happening? Age?
Is it related to fluid coming out of reservoir - perhaps too much pressure in the system? ie Steering box failing - creating too much resistance?

I can replace hoses myself, top up and bleed the steering system, but more concerned as to why it's all happening now, esp with the reservoir leaking fluid on top.
The hoses could all be leaking just because of age? :S They look okay to me, hahaha.

Wet - oily area where you can see fluid has come out of the top :/ Why?

Hose coming out of the radiator area

Down the bottom somewhere - I'm assuming this is a high pressure hose?

Leaking from the hose coming out of the top of the reservoir - wait, this is a low pressure line?

Down the bottom, at the hose clamp, it seems to be leaking a lot - creating gunk.

·
Registered
2000 C230 Kompressor
141 Posts
I can't see the pics for some reason? Start the car and see if there are any bubbles or whats generally happening under the power steering cap when the car is running and let us know...

·
Registered
1998 C200
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I had a look at things with the engine running and fluid cap off.

Nothing out of the ordinary. No bubbles, froth or movement. All seems to be normal.

Can you see photos now?

·
Registered
SLK 230 2003
17 Posts
It might be just the overtightened or crappy clamps. Mine is the same way. Noticed a leak, gunk and low fluid. The hose seems to be fine but around the clamps it's just deteriorated over the time... Need to replace it. Doesn't seem to be expensive. almost $4 for the lower hose and $15 for upper one. Hope you already changed yours =)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts