Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
'99 SL500, '65 Corvette rdstr, '10 Volvo S80, '11 Chev Silverado
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm looking at buying a 2007 GL450 with 79000 miles. It's on a dealer's lot, asking around $22,500, and looks to be in outstanding condition. I've posted on the GL forum for advice, but nothing was forthcoming. From what I've read on Edmunds reports, there were very substantial build quality issues on these SUV's. Anyone out there have any experience with this model?
Thanks for any advice. :)

·
Registered
Now: 14 E350 Coupe; 86 560SL Then: 73 280SEL 4.5; 80 300SD; 82 300SD; 98 E350; 08 GL320; 11 E350
1,053 Posts
Not exactly on point, but for what its worth. We have an '08 GL but its a 320CDI, so I cannot speak to the 450 per se. However, I love this vehicle.

We had normal this and that during the warranty period, and the only significant issue since was a blown right front air strut which was around $1200. However, even though beyond the warranty period, MB, after some discussion, covered this item.

Otherwise, it's been a great vehicle and excellent over the road for cross country trips which we've done many. By the way, the diesel engine is super.

Cheers,

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Don't walk, run !! POS, if the engine dosn't go the tranny will, but not to worry cause it will rust apart first.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll have to convince SWMBO. first. It may take some time! :bowdown:

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,327 Posts
Don't walk, run !! POS, if the engine dosn't go the tranny will, but not to worry cause it will rust apart first.
Wouldn't the engine & tranny be similar to those used in any MB of that year? Are the V8 cars bad too?

I was looking at a 2006 ML350 with low mileage locally. It is in pristine condition, but I read about problems with the V-6 that occurred in 2006/7. Apparently an idler sprocket associated with the cam timing chain was made of an incorrect and soft alloy on some cars. It apparently wears out quickly and causes serious damage. But changing the sprocket is a $5k job.

But I never read any similar problems with V-8. But did hear about problems with 4WD (transfer case?) which probably would apply to ML and GL class.

I would be interested in any documentation of GL problems - I have been looking at that sort of vehicle too.

·
Registered
'71 250, '78 450SLC 5.0, '78 450SL, '81 380SLC 5.6, '89 260E, '15 Kia Sorento
5,269 Posts
Isn't it amazing that after making cars for 100+ years they would still have quality issues with something like a sprocket. You'd think that at some point there would be some things you could check off the list, as far as quality control goes.
Also, I am sure they source these parts. Isn't there any pride in manufacturing anymore?

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
The 6cyl problem is ongoing, try to find a used motor and note the price. I should have added transfer cases to my list also. I don't have documentation on these cars problems, my comments are from my friends repair shops as they prefer not to work on these vehicles because of the costs they have to pass on to their customers. My used car dealer friends will not buy them and wholesale any that come in on trade. Maybe they keep sending the bad ones to Ma.

·
Premium Member
10,327 Posts
The 6cyl problem is ongoing, try to find a used motor and note the price. I should have added transfer cases to my list also. I don't have documentation on these cars problems, my comments are from my friends repair shops as they prefer not to work on these vehicles because of the costs they have to pass on to their customers. My used car dealer friends will not buy them and wholesale any that come in on trade. Maybe they keep sending the bad ones to Ma.
Luckily up here used GLs are quite expensive, so I probably won't be tempted. MLs are more reasonable and a diesel would be my preference.

But I am disenchanted with most new vehicles (too much electronic and other useless stuff we don't need). So I would want a long warranty or go to leasing. Maybe I can afford a GLK (diesel out later this year), but they will cost $10-$15k more than say a well equipped Venza, Outback or similar. Maybe a Toyota is in my future :(

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm forgetting the GL450.
After a great deal of reading reports, it seems this year/model has had a litany of problems including: engine/powertrain computer module issues, air suspension compressor failure, premature brake wear, power steering problems, vibrations/alignment/tire wear issues, and others. There are a lot of unhappy owners out there. It also seems that dealers are discounting this model to other dealers to get them off their lots. All in all my decision is to pass on the one offered to me, especially since I found out that the car was sold from a Mercedes dealer to a Volvo dealer. Maybe the Mercedes dealer knew something?? The Volvo dealer is only offering a 30 day powertrain warranty. Certainly it's "buyer beware"! Not for me.

·
Registered
1986 300 SL Euro spec - Signal Red/Black Eng/Trans: Inline 6 (M103.982) / 722.322 Auto
1,976 Posts
I also decide to pass on buying a ML350 after reading up on them and asking around in local repair shops. Really a shame such a nice SUV has so many problems from factory.

Im sold on Toyotas myself. My 4runner is going on 12 yrs with no problems up to a complete engine overhaul about a 8 months ago costing... USD 3,500. Drives like new now. It´s hard to part with it cause there is no way I can replace it without dishing out 20K to make up for the difference in a compatible newer used SUV.

4runner3.jpg

Cheers

·
Always Remembered RIP
6,050 Posts
Nope, which is probably a good thing. Haven't seen one for sale locally either.

·
Premium Member
10,327 Posts
I also decide to pass on buying a ML350 after reading up on them and asking around in local repair shops. Really a shame such a nice SUV has so many problems from factory.

Im sold on Toyotas myself. My 4runner is going on 12 yrs with no problems up to a complete engine overhaul about a 8 months ago costing... USD 3,500. Drives like new now. It´s hard to part with it cause there is no way I can replace it without dishing out 20K to make up for the difference in a compatible newer used SUV.

Cheers
You are lucky that you can get Toyota diesels where you are. None here.

We can get MB diesels. My dealer has a 2009 Bluetec with 75k km but want about C$41k. Most of original warranty has run out, so would have to buy extended (2+1yr) for about $2400.

Later this year they will have a diesel GLK, which might do us. But a Toyota Highlander (gas) would likely cost less and maybe even the hybrid too (which we probably wouldnt want because it would mainly get LD highway use.

·
Premium Member
10,327 Posts
Anyone have any comments on GLKs????
On the BW ML forums they suggested I look at the GLK. Apparently build quality is better (It is built in Bremen, Germany as opposed to MLs and GLs that are made in USA).

Don't know why country vehicles are built would make a diffence (For example until this year, C-Class was made in South Africa and it has reasonably good reputation)

Maybe they source some parts here?

·
Registered
Now: 14 E350 Coupe; 86 560SL Then: 73 280SEL 4.5; 80 300SD; 82 300SD; 98 E350; 08 GL320; 11 E350
1,053 Posts
Not exactly on point, but for what its worth. We have an '08 GL but its a 320CDI, so I cannot speak to the 450 per se. However, I love this vehicle.

We had normal this and that during the warranty period, and the only significant issue since was a blown right front air strut which was around $1200. However, even though beyond the warranty period, MB, after some discussion, covered this item.

Otherwise, it's been a great vehicle and excellent over the road for cross country trips which we've done many. By the way, the diesel engine is super.

Cheers,
Not feeling the love for the GL being shared here. Perhaps I just got lucky with a good one, but I love my GL and I love the diesel engine. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

When the time comes to pull the trigger on updating my E320, I'll go diesel on an E-Class.

Cheers,

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
Don't know why country vehicles are built would make a diffence (For example until this year, C-Class was made in South Africa and it has reasonably good reputation)

Maybe they source some parts here?

It only makes a difference if MB is allowing lesser materials, manufacturing, or assembly standards for different countries.

Ultimately the responsibility for quality control on components, assemblies and the finished product falls at the feet of MB regardless of the location.

·
Premium Member
10,327 Posts
It only makes a difference if MB is allowing lesser materials, manufacturing, or assembly standards for different countries.

Ultimately the responsibility for quality control on components, assemblies and the finished product falls at the feet of MB regardless of the location.
I think they may be allowing lesser or at least different materials to be used in US built vehicles. This is what Wiiki says:

"Mercedes-Benz assembles its ML-, R- and G-Class vehicles in Vance, Alabama, with a U.S./Canadian parts content of 62 percent, but both its engines and transmissions are unsurprisingly sourced from Germany."

Funnily enough the major problem they had with the 06/7s, was with the V-6 engines.

But I have also read about owners finding that a part had failed and were surprised it was labeled AC Delco.

You are right that it is MB's responsibility to ensure quality regardless of where cars are built. But perhaps some cultures are more adept than others at adopting German standards?

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
But perhaps some cultures are more adept than others at adopting German standards?

Culture? Meh.

Standards are just that, and as a general rule written in black and white, from my experience. You either meet them or you don't.

Again, if QC problems exist MB is allowing it.

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
You are lucky that you can get Toyota diesels where you are. None here.

We can get MB diesels. My dealer has a 2009 Bluetec with 75k km but want about C$41k. Most of original warranty has run out, so would have to buy extended (2+1yr) for about $2400.

Later this year they will have a diesel GLK, which might do us. But a Toyota Highlander (gas) would likely cost less and maybe even the hybrid too (which we probably wouldnt want because it would mainly get LD highway use.
SWMBO's car is an '09 Camry Hybrid, and we've only had one problem with it: the stereo/NAV unit bit the dust after about a year and a half. The dealersip replaced it under warranty, with no questions. I took it on a couple of long distance road trips, and got 35+ MPG with no problem. The driveline is the same for the Highlander, while the Prius has the smaller 4 cylinder engine. The build quality is phenomenal, She thinks it the same as the '04 E320 we had, but there are a few more 'bells and whistles'. What I'm saying is that the Hybrid system is not a reason to eliminate the vehicle.

Just my 2 cents,
Scott

·
Premium Member
10,327 Posts
SWMBO's car is an '09 Camry Hybrid, and we've only had one problem with it: the stereo/NAV unit bit the dust after about a year and a half. The dealersip replaced it under warranty, with no questions. I took it on a couple of long distance road trips, and got 35+ MPG with no problem. The driveline is the same for the Highlander, while the Prius has the smaller 4 cylinder engine. The build quality is phenomenal, She thinks it the same as the '04 E320 we had, but there are a few more 'bells and whistles'. What I'm saying is that the Hybrid system is not a reason to eliminate the vehicle.

Just my 2 cents,
Scott
I have considered the Camry Hybrid, but for long distance travel (our main use) it doesn't work out too well because small trunk and no great improvement in mileage over standard Camry. The Highlander hybrid would be good, but it costs over $50k here. :(

Not sure what we will do, but will probably keep the 98 E320 for one more winter at least. It is in great condition, but at the stage (118k miles) when things do start to go wrong.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts