Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to get a 77-78 450slc. It's supposed to have a ground clearance of about 5.5 inches stock. I'd like to reduce that by about an inch. I'd be grateful for pointers from anyone who's done something similar. I'm hopping to do as little alterations as possible. Hope to run stock steel wheels with colour coded hub caps.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
33,046 Posts
I plan to get a 77-78 450slc. It's supposed to have a ground clearance of about 5.5 inches stock. I'd like to reduce that by about an inch. I'd be grateful for pointers from anyone who's done something similar. I'm hopping to do as little alterations as possible. Hope to run stock steel wheels with colour coded hub caps.
Well I lowered my 280SL 2 inches. To be fair....it seemed higher than most SLs in the front.

I used the old hill billy proven method of cutting coils off the springs. Been over 10 years now.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I lowered my 280SL 2 inches. To be fair....it seemed higher than most SLs in the front.

I used the old hill billy proven method of cutting coils off the springs. Been over 10 years now.
Really? On all four corners? Any chance of seeing what it looks like? I hope I'm not a bother.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hmm. Now that's an idea. Any drawbacks?

·
33,046 Posts
Really? On all four corners? Any chance of seeing what it looks like? I hope I'm not a bother.
Looks like you have 2 logins. And you used both in one thread. LOL.

Pick a login...the other will have to go.

Pics of The PIG are all over this forum.
Let me see if I can find a good one.

·
33,046 Posts
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like you have 2 logins. And you used both in one thread. LOL.

Pick a login...the other will have to go.

Pics of The PIG are all over this forum.
Let me see if I can find a good one.
I do. I've been look how to deactivate one of them.

·
33,046 Posts
I think I like your stance. I asked, you took 2" out an all four corners, right? Any no issue since? Cool.
My aim is to get much of what I want to do clear before I get my car.
I had a '72 280SE 4.5. Sold it a few years ago.
I used 450SLC springs in the front and cut 2 coils off of those. But I don't have the big iron block 450 engine.
The rear I didn't touch...lol....time took care of those.

So...maybe start with one coil and see what happens.

Barring that...there are companies that make suspension parts for our cars without the need to cut coils.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used 450SLC springs in the front and cut 2 coils off of those. But I don't have the big iron block 450 engine.
The rear I didn't touch...lol....time took care of those.

So...maybe start with one coil and see what happens.

Barring that...there are companies that make suspension parts for our cars without the need to cut coils.
Yeah, cool. Thanks Nobby, Thanks. I'll research springs that one can just replace all round.

·
Registered
1986 560SL,1995 911 Carrera 4, 2021 Alfa Romeo Stelvio QV
267 Posts
Nobby,

Did the ride quality suffer after lopping off the 2 coils?

·
33,046 Posts
Nobby,

Did the ride quality suffer after lopping off the 2 coils?
Quality suffer? I guess it depends on what you like.
Keep in mind...I lopped 2 coils off 450SLC springs which are the heaviest spring rate of 107 springs. Basically made them even stiffer.
It handles better and I now have almost no acceleration "squat"
It does NOT ride like an 89 560SL....it has a little more road feel. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I guess what I was looking for was whether the car crashes over bumps and/or bounces like a lowrider..

·
33,046 Posts
I guess what I was looking for was whether the car crashes over bumps and/or bounces like a lowrider..
No and no.

Still rides very good....but you are aware that you're not sitting on a comfy sofa.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I wonder if I can compensate for the increased spring rate by perhaps cutting 2 coils off a pair of front springs from perhaps a 280, 300 or even 380sl?

·
33,046 Posts
I wonder if I can compensate for the increased spring rate by perhaps cutting 2 coils off a pair of front springs from perhaps a 280, 300 or even 380sl?
Like me....anything you decide will definitely be an experiment.

Here's a chart of OEM 107 springs.

Check height and wire diameter.

Rectangle Font Parallel Pattern Number

1 - 20 of 38 Posts