Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 3 years ago I had my trans rebuilt, which also included a rebuilt torque converter. Since that time I noticed a vibration of the engine Upon acceleration which you can feel. It was more annoying than anything else so I left it. After this I did change the motor mounts, the flex disks and the center bearing. I have two thoughts. One is the tc is defective, or second when they had the tranny out they misaligned the drive shaft. FYI they also changed the rear main seal, which necessitated removing the flywheel. I only mention this since I know that is supposed to go on only one way. I doubt it is this since if you get that wrong it does not start. Suggestions? I am taking back to the tranny shop this week to fix a leak so any suggestions are welcome

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,778 Posts
Hey there,

For a few years, I chased a driveline vibration in my 560SEC.. motor mounts with the little shocks too, flex discs, center bearing & cage, rear subframe & differential mounts, Three sets of tires & two wheel changes..

If I baby it at 75.. I still get the slight vibration that moves around with road speed sometimes, always highway.

Always felt this in the body... seats console..

My tone.. yes... The next conservator of my 560SEC can focus there if need be. Here its just so minor.
Look, apologies for no definitive answers.... I do know how frustrating this condition can be.. I truly get it.
I just thought years ago, ... enough.

M

·
Registered
1981 300SD W126
118 Posts
Stutz, I think your first suspicion is correct, vibration during acceleration is almost always caused by driveshaft U-joint fatigue or failure and or misalignment. I would check the U-joints since you have already replaced the Guibo and the center support bearing. There are some well known companies that will service European drive lines, their names escape me at the moment.

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,778 Posts
You make a good point bringing up the u-joint. That certainly would be the unknown..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts