Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Mercedes 300SE
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 300SE and I have started to notice a very slight oil leak near the front of the engine. Usually just a drop every morning in my driveway, looks like it is leaking at the top around a seal.

With this said, what viscosity oil should I use? We are going into winter here in the Northeast. I was thinking shomething a little thicker like a dino (synthetic would leak more) 15W-40?

Thanks!

·
Registered
E320 Bluetec S420
125 Posts
Where is it leaking from the valve cover, oil pan, headgasket What's your oil level, if it leaks from the headgasket then you should never fill the engine oil to the max point on the M104 engine keep it between the max and min mark apparently Mercedes have some issues where oil leaks out of the head gasket on to the floor they even have a TBS service bulletin on preventing the leak.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Possible sources of a leak up top are, in order of pain to fix: valve cover gasket, camshaft seal and head gasket.

To trace more accurately clean the area thoroughly and then dust it with talcum powder. Tracks will show up in the powder to give a better idea of the source.

If it looks like a seal, you may be able to buy some time with an oil additive that soften old seals. It's cheap and does no harm but is only temporary.

A heavier weight oil might also help, 15W-40 sounds fine, or even 20W-50 for a worn engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts