Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
500SLC #2624. Black on Black.
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems every time I bring up my theory of SLC's heading to the point where they regarly sell for more than SL's someone (or more likely a few people) comes out to say that convertibles will ALWAYS seell for more than coupes.

I've been doing some research around pricing of MB's when new, and the SLC's commanded a premium of 15% to 25% more than they same SL, throughout the production run.

So, if those that think cabs always sell for more are correct, then why did so many SLC's sell?

All thoughts and comments welcomed.

Oh, and this is before you even consider that the 5 litre SLC's were the most expensive Mercedes in the line up when they were available, more expensive even than the 6.9's.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,492 Posts
Usually, across all car makers and models, production numbers for a convertible are generally less. So you could argue that they are worth more because there are less of them.
That being said, the reverse should be true for the SLC.

Alas, at the end of the day, the convertible....whether it be a 64 Coupe de Ville, a 68 Camaro or an 80 SL will always be considered more "collectible", by the general masses, than a coupe or sedan.
It just is what it is.

Of course....there are and will always be exceptions to the rule.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually, across all car makers and models, production numbers for a convertible are generally less. So you could argue that they are worth more because there are less of them.
That being said, the reverse should be true for the SLC.

Alas, at the end of the day, the convertible....whether it be a 64 Coupe de Ville, a 68 Camaro or an 80 SL will always be considered more "collectible", by the general masses, than a coupe or sedan.
It just is what it is.

Of course....there are and will always be exceptions to the rule.
That's the thing though. You say, and so does everyone else, that the 'general masses' see the convertible as being more 'valuable' but it is not the general masses that forked out for these cars when they were new, and it is not the general masses that pay top dollar for a mint example of these cars now.

And lets remember, post 1981 SL's don't count, as we are comparing like for like.

When I see a 450SL sell for more than what I have seen a mint 450SLC sell for I will maybe start to believe the talk, until then, i see a lot of people saying that SL's will sell for more, and are worth more, but no evidence to back it up.

So come on people, find that evidence. prove me wrong.

And don't be comparing prices on an 8/10 SL to a 6/10 SLC. Like for like people.

·
Registered
'79 450SL
255 Posts
a quick look on EBay shows the SL selling for more than the same year SLC, in some cases quite a bit.

·
Registered
1986 300 SL Euro spec - Signal Red/Black Eng/Trans: Inline 6 (M103.982) / 722.322 Auto
1,976 Posts
I guess it's what the buyer is looking for that will determine the price they pay at the end of the day. My friend's mother had an SLC back in the 80s and they sold/traded it pretty cheap cause it wasn't a convertible (I guess in Miami convertibles attract more buyers).

I bought my SL cause I wanted a MB convertible and the price was reasonable. Not looking to restore it to factory specs, but to drive a nice convertible (the main reason why Im pouring $$$ into it). If it would have been an SLC, I'd probably wouldn't have bought it.

Of course there are collectible markets, but that, as you mention is not for the general public.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
I happen to like the 380/500/560SEC's much more than the SLC series but again even in NADA the SL's hold more value.

·
Registered
1978 280slc
3,203 Posts
Basically the prices of both 107 sl and slc's is so depressed here in california I see a parity in prices between the sl and slc. Basically the price of sl 107s will adjust with the season up and down depending on which season it is, while the slc just stay steady in there value. Let me put it this way, a 5000$ 450sl is selling for 3000$ because a convertible isn't as useful during the winter, but when summer comes around it is a 5000$ car again. A mercedes 450slc will be a 3000$ car independent of the season.

Basically the overabundance of sl cars is what is going to suppress their value. While by the time anyone realizes how interesting the slc is there won't be any left. Either way neither of these cars is an investment in any sense of the work.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
I don't think that there are as many SLC's in good condition. Worse, SLC's are probably more expensive to restore because of unique parts. But if I would have found a good 380SLC around here, I would have bought it, single timing chain and all, or better yet a Euro 280SLC. The number of SLC's around here I've seen on the street, I could count with one hand.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,900 Posts
Basically the prices of both 107 sl and slc's is so depressed here in california I see a parity in prices between the sl and slc. Basically the price of sl 107s will adjust with the season up and down depending on which season it is, while the slc just stay steady in there value. Let me put it this way, a 5000$ 450sl is selling for 3000$ because a convertible isn't as useful during the winter, but when summer comes around it is a 5000$ car again. A mercedes 450slc will be a 3000$ car independent of the season.

Basically the overabundance of sl cars is what is going to suppress their value. While by the time anyone realizes how interesting the slc is there won't be any left. Either way neither of these cars is an investment in any sense of the work.
^^^
This is my general thoughts direction too.
Few years ago, I claimed the same: SLC's are to become rare, harder to find than weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. Was laughed at.

@ Photografa

SL will sell faster and will push the price quicker than equivalent SLC.
A good SLC needs a specific buyer to get its higher value and price paid (where a regular Joe will buy SL just for convertibility).

As more post 1980 SL's fall into "old car" category, narrow minded regular Joe that pushes the price of an SL will fail to see the beauty in it and there's plenty room for your theory to be proven right.

But why such greivance and desire for all to agree?
I'd wait a few more years and make a permanent signature:
"I told you so!"

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
But why such greivance and desire for all to agree?
I'd wait a few more years and make a permanent signature:
"I told you so!"
No real grievance, it's just that every time the subject comes up, so many people say ad nuaseum "convertibles always sell for more than non-convertibles" but don't present the evidence to back it up.

Bring the evidence and I'll listen to the argument. I'm just happy for the discussion to take place!

·
29,492 Posts
so many people say ad nuaseum "convertibles always sell for more than non-convertibles" but don't present the evidence to back it up.
Check any other auto forum that has both hard top and convertible models.

Mustang, Chevelle, Camaro, Firebird, ...you name it.

Convertibles have a higher resale value than their hard top counterparts.

They just do.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,314 Posts
Yes but American cars have fewer convertibles produced in any model. That makes the convertible rare. I think that is Fotos point. The SLC is rarer than the SL so why is the opposite not true.

·
29,492 Posts
Yes but American cars have fewer convertibles produced in any model. That makes the convertible rare. I think that is Fotos point. The SLC is rarer than the SL so why is the opposite not true.
I mentioned that in post 2.

It just the way it is. Rare or not, convertibles are sexier than the hard top.

Why do blondes have more fun?

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
See, this is why this is such an interesting topic. What you say Nobby makes perfect sense, but that doesn't account for why people were willing pay a premium (up to 25%) to buy an SLC over an SL when they were new, and obviously at that mount in exactly the same condition.

So either, it's a case of convertible being worth more is a more recent phenomenon, or a case of there being fewer people seeking the SLC's, but willing to part with more dollars for them.

Obviously the SL's have always been more popular, hence whey there was nearly 5 x the number sold. That is not in dispute. But being more popular isn't the same as being worth more.

·
29,492 Posts
but that doesn't account for why people were willing pay a premium (up to 25%) to buy an SLC over an SL when they were new, .
Was the SLC of that era not the most expensive Mercedes at the time?

I would argue that some people would buy the car based solely on that.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Nope, SEC, which I prefer was about 10,000 more and still has less value than an SL. (nada)

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
SEC? Sorry, I'm talking about SLC vs SL. Not sure what the situation is in the US, but over here a good quality SLC will outprice a good quality SEC anyway, but that is irrelevant, there is no way of comparing like for like.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Was the SLC of that era not the most expensive Mercedes at the time?

I would argue that some people would buy the car based solely on that.
That's true. Well, except for the W100's. And except for the period after the realease of the 450SEL 6.9 and before the release of the 450SLC 5.0.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts