Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 450slc, 95 e320 wagon, 06 ml350
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done any exhaust work on a 450slc? I need to replace the rear muffler on my '78 but was wondering what it might cost and what brands were available. Is this a "dealer only" part? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
They're expensive, but the Timevalve guys are great. They will fix you up with custom made exhaust stuff for any Mercedes, and top of the line parts too. I plopped a grand on their stainless steel exhaust for my 280 SL, the total package from manifold to tailpipe, hangers, etc - it arrived yesterday, AMOF. Vastly superior to the stock system - industrial strength welds, larger diameter pipes, dual pipe cat converter, and all stainless steel instead of cheap steel pipe. No sales tax either. I'm going to post some under-car pictures of the new exhaust soon.

There at www.timevalve.com.

·
Registered
'80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
2,851 Posts
Term "expensive" is somewhat unspecific.
[:D]
If I can get BOSAL (Apparently only approved replacement) in UK and USoA for half the price of same one in South Africa (ZAR2000, 5.8ZAR=1USD) than i can say price YOU pay is bargain!
Browse eBay, you may find your self surprised!

However, I did not find it difficult to pay double the price because the lifetime of same stressed piece of metal sheet (ok, muffler, if you prefer) in South Africa is usualy 3 times longer. My previous one lasted 24 years and 65000km. If new one goes half the time I'm happy![^]

·
Registered
78 450slc, 95 e320 wagon, 06 ml350
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I'll check out their site. I've been driving the SLC around for a couple days while my other car's in the shop. I'm still impressed with the power and comfort of it even though it's 27 years old. They don't build cars like this anymore. Not even Mercedes.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Bosal is pure crap... Don't waste your $$. After timevalve (their stuff really is First Rate!) Eberschpacher is best. I've orded exhaust directly from MB and it was an EB piece w/ an MB sticker on it[:p]

Ansa is middle of the line, but still not ideal. IMHO it's worth the money to buy the best exhaust system you can, it's nice to not have to think about it for a Long time.

Jonathan

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
jhodg5ck - 3/26/2005 11:33 PM

Bosal is pure crap... Don't waste your $$. After timevalve (their stuff really is First Rate!) Eberschpacher is best. I've orded exhaust directly from MB and it was an EB piece w/ an MB sticker on it[:p]

Ansa is middle of the line, but still not ideal. IMHO it's worth the money to buy the best exhaust system you can, it's nice to not have to think about it for a Long time.

Jonathan
You bet. its also a good idea to replace things in general as a "system". If the waterpump is bad, radiator and hoses are soon to follow. Replace it all with the best quality stuff. I did my exhaust from the manifold to the tailpipe, everything new from Timevalve. I also replaced the entire fuel delivery system- new relay, pump, etc. A lot of times it is easier for the mechanic or on yourself to do it this way as well.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
Mr. Bo - 3/17/2005 1:23 AM

Has anyone done any exhaust work on a 450slc? I need to replace the rear muffler on my '78 but was wondering what it might cost and what brands were available. Is this a "dealer only" part? Thanks for any help.
You have two real choices without going overboard and spending way more than you have to. Those choices are Ansa and Eberspacher (OEM). Forget Timevalve unless you're planning on keeping your car for 20 years and have money to burn. Forget Bosal -- quality is actually similar to Ansa but car will be excessively loud. We keep both Ansa and Eberspacher in stock. Check our Website or call for pricing.

·
Registered
83 Astral Silver 280 SL
28,829 Posts
Yeah, my $1,000 timevalve exhaust was a little overboard, but it sounds and looks great. The mechanics who put it in oohed and awed over it. it has also improved the performance of the car. Let me be the little devil on your shoulder. Don't listen to that little Germanstar on the other shoulder, come on, go ahead, spend that big wad.

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
The fact is that this fellow has more options than you. I believe I was the one who initially recommended Timevalve to you if you recall. With a gray market six-banger, your options were limited and Timevalve, although costly, was IMO the best way for you to go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts