Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 2007 SL65. Factory warranty expires in a few weeks and am pondering an extended warranty from MB. Price is steep ($4.5k for 3 years and 75k miles). My logical side tells me the odds are against ever needing to spend $4.5k in repairs in the next 3 years, but I have seen all the posts advising to "get the warranty." I understand the "peace of mind" aspect of a warranty, but I would rather base my decision on what some others have actually experienced in terms of repairs needed and costs if known. So, would love to hear from other SL owners (especially AMG) as to how often they have had to get repairs, what kind, and at what cost. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
930 Posts
If you cant do anything yourself, or you dont know anything about cars, then it would be advisable to buy the warrantee. if youre a good mechanic and do most of your own work then its not worth the cost vs the risk

·
Registered
2003 SL55
32 Posts
I've had my 2003 SL55 AMG for 4 years and used my extended warranty to cover a myriad of problems. The drivetrain has been problem free, but a short list of warranty repairs includes both rear ABC struts/shocks ($2400x2), gas tank (baffle broken inside $2600), parking sensors front and back($?), CD changer ($700, not covered), driver seat heater and leather ($800?), shifter mechanism ($?), tire pressure sensors, and others I don't recall. While some of these issues were apparently fixed in production by the 2005 model year, it does seem that the dealer can't open the hood for less than $1000. I just bought another 4 year warranty for mine for $3500. I view it as the cost of owning this beast and decided it is acceptable as long as I have an warranty. My friends routinely point out their Porsche's much better than average reliability when we talk cars, however. I don't know how much of this relates to a newer SL65, so YMMV.

·
Registered
2002 honda civic (sold), 2009 Mercedes ML350
1,344 Posts
if i were you i would get it. 1 repair on that car no matter what it is can range in the thousands. you have a bi turbo engine in that car, most engine work requires the engine to be pulled to do it, the suspension is hydraulic, 1 strut is $1500. repairs arent cheap. you cant go by what others have done cause another 65 could be problem free while yours may start to have issues.

·
Registered
2003 SL500, 2009 Shelby GT500
6 Posts
This is my 4th Mercedes. I cannot imagine owning one without a warranty. Reading these forums does not give one the impression that reliability is a strong suit.

·
Registered
99 SL500
20 Posts
This is a poor place to find an objective opinion, or to find someone with no car issues. This forum and all internet forums are largely made up of people who have problems (with their cars) and like to talk about them. That's what this is right? Statistically speaking, you are much less likely to get $1000 of repair work for every $1000 you spend for a warranty... or the warranty companies would go bankrupt. Then you have the possibility being taken by less scrupulous companies that won't part with your premium when it is time. You also must make sure you understand the terms and that a car with 50K miles and 75K mile warranty usually means you are covered up to 75K, not 125K. In which case you are buying very little protection.

-However- for me an SL is an enjoyable toy, and not a commuter car, when I drive it I want to hop in and have fun, not be worried over broken stuff. This is what they mean by "piece of mind". Get the warranty if it will allow you to enjoy the car more.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
69 Posts
-However- for me an SL is an enjoyable toy, and not a commuter car, when I drive it I want to hop in and have fun, not be worried over broken stuff. This is what they mean by "piece of mind". Get the warranty if it will allow you to enjoy the car more.
Man's spot on.... This is NOT a work car. It's the "escape" car.... My wife is an anesthesiologist.. at the end of a long day, she drops the top, puts on some Leppard, or Whitesnake at a setting of "11", hits the 4-lane and drives the 5 miles to home, walks in the door, tosses me the fob with... "Muh baby needs gas..." and all is groovy in wifeville.

"Mercedes-Benz. Expensive, and built to STAY that way..."

·
Registered
1997 E320
79 Posts
What happens in two years when you decide you dont like the car? its going to be alot easier to sell to someone with remaining warranty. Just my two cents

·
Registered
2003 SL500, 2005 ML500SE, 2005 CLK500 Cabriolet Avantgarde
249 Posts
I can't imagine driving an SL65 WITHOUT some kind of warranty. I purchased a $3500 warranty for my lowly SL500 a few years ago. So far, I have received over $12,000 worth of repairs, including replacing stuck transmission shifter, replaced fuel tank, replaced door handle, replaced command system, replaced cracked wheel and tire sensor, replaced ABC pump, replaced SBS Pump, replaced SRS Harness, ..... I'm sure you know one rotor on that SL65 costs over $1000 :). Go figure ...

Unless you have deeeeep pockets, .....please get a warranty. This forum is littered with folks that have various repair or reliability issues. That alone should be a enough forewarning ...

·
Registered
2005 silver/black SL 65 AMG
171 Posts
I imagine most warranties will not cover brake parts due to wear and tear.......my aftermarket warranty has been good for most things, but not on the rotors on my 65 which I replaced @ 30k and found for $688 each on a close-out versus $985 each before tax.....

·
Registered
Too many to list
8,942 Posts
GET THE WARRANTY. Especially if its transferable to a new owner.

Not only will you have numerous 4 figure repair bills if you dont, but if you decide to later SELL THE CAR while it is still covered under warranty, you will get a much higher price for it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Insurance

The common wisdom is that one should insure oneself for losses that one can not afford. Insuring yourself for a $2000 repair does not make sense if you can afford a $75000 car.

Consumer Reports states that for Mercedes owners, 76% use the extended warranty. But 38% save money, against the premium costs. There it is. The insurance company has the "house" advantage. Surprised? Of course you're aren't. How else could an insurance company afford to insure you? They HAVE to win and you HAVE to lose. (the odds are against you)

By the way, with other car companies, extended warranty purchasers saved even less. Check this out:

Toyota: 10%
Honda 19%
BMW 29%
Ford 24%
Mercedes 38% i.e. most of the time you lose money on the policy

Overall average 22%

So while the best payoff is with Mercedes, it's still a sucker's bet. The odds of you losing are greater than the odds of you winning. This report is available at Consumer Reports.org.

Interesting, no?

·
Registered
1 Posts
BTW, if one buys the warranty and then sells the car, one is entitled to a refund for the pro-rata unused premium if it is not transferred at sale. (Not sure if repairs made during the policy term are deductions from the unused premium).

I'd say don't hesitate and get the warranty!

·
Registered
07 SL550
47 Posts
I've gone commando for a year and just shudder @ the thought of taking my baby in for it's "A" service. I'm @ 40,000 miles on an 2004. With Chrysler out of the picture who's the best out there now for those of us not eligible for a Mercedes Benz issued extended warranty?

·
Registered
2003 SL55
32 Posts
I've gone commando for a year and just shudder @ the thought of taking my baby in for it's "A" service. I'm @ 40,000 miles on an 2004. With Chrysler out of the picture who's the best out there now for those of us not eligible for a Mercedes Benz issued extended warranty?
If you are in Oregon or Washington State, Costco has an affiliate program that looks good. It is a new program and they don't offer it in the rest of the country at this point. I didn't buy it myself as a local Mercedes dealer matched their price on a program from National (of Oregon, there are at least two Nationals out there) that the service manager I've known for years recommended. It seemed to me that it was in his interests for me to have a company that pays up when needed.
Vehicle Protection Plans ? Premium Repair Coverage for Costco members
Of course, none of these programs cover routine maintenance or wear and tear items like brakes and batteries. Again, it's important enough to do your own homework on a plan that fits your needs.

·
Registered
2003 SL500
31 Posts
I just called and the Costco plan is in Arizona as well (but just those 3 states for now).

They will look at profitability then decide if they will discontinue, continue or expand...

Juan :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts