Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
SL55 C350 & ML320
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

The other day I watched a SL65 blow by my SL500 like it was left for dead.

The entire time the traction control was active and kept his tires at the very limits of adhesion truly impressive.

So here is my question if that is the limit of adhesion whats the point of the Black series or the other 800 to 1000HP cars from Tuners.

How is it possible given the limitation of Tire adhesion to need more Torque or Horsepower.

So what am I missing?

I'm keeping my SL500 not trading it in yet but I can see where that SL65 might be in my garage soon.

Thanks
Ian

·
Registered
2003 CL600
455 Posts
The black series is lighter, (lots of carbon fiber and not convertible I think), Further more you can use the HP not only to from 0 mph you also use it at higher speeds, out of corners, very high speeds passes.

Some cars have much better traction from 0 mph like a Porsche with the engine behind the wheels, some have better balance mid engine, some have AWD to maximise the power(Veyron 1000HP).

Tires are also a big factor for traction (size and quality), the black series has much wider tires to get the power down.

But I think it is true that if you put to much HP in a car it will be counter productive at some point, you need balance, check this Brabus SL65 on Top Gear:

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
The point isn't so much 0-60 or 1/4 mile, but rather, say, 50-90 and for sure top speed. Not much limitation of the latter by traction control.

·
Registered
SL55 C350 & ML320
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys

I went to the Dealer today and drove the SL55 and SL65 to see for myself.

Both were very impressive but that SL65 is mind blowing fast for a Merc.

Thanks Again
Ian

·
Registered
99 SL500
20 Posts
I'm at the exact same point in my own analysis of the AMG cars. As if the SL55 with 500 HP isn't going to make you happy. The SL's are sort of a rare breed when you start putting down that much power with a hefty car.

·
Registered
Sold my 2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
579 Posts
Its very tempting to break the tires loose on these cars when you first buy them.
Throwing 500HP to the ground even with huge 295`s on the rear is fairly easy to do with that kind of power at your right foot.
But you learn right away that throwing away money on new Michelins is not cheap in the least. So after years of driving my SL55 I have learned to keep the wheelspin to an absolute minimum about 99% of the time. You learn to watch for the yellow ESP Triangle.
Its way more fun to nail it going about 80. Have it drop into 3rd gear and then upshift to 4th at about 120. The way it just pushes you into the seat is far more fun than smoking the tires. Or watching the crotch rockets in the canyons pull over cause your on their azz. Those 4 big tires and all that weight and power give you a huge advantage over a motorcycle. Even if the guy is really good he has no chance if you start pushing him.

The main purpose of these AMG`s is the smile factor. I dont care how bad a day it is at work or with the GF. Get in your AMG and you will smile.

I have driven a few SL65`s. They are quicker. But the SL55 just feels and sounds lighter and faster. Nothing like the exhaust note of the SL55 with the top down in the tight canyons of So Cal.

·
Registered
2005 SL65
12 Posts
SL65 had for six months, nothing like it for blend of power, fun in the sun and sound. Only flaw, cannot hook up off the line. Just too much power. Eats rear tires. But that's the price for pleasing my right foot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts