Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz SL600
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mercedes Enthusiasts,

New here to this forum, owned 37 years ago MB 1979 280s, looking currently at MB 07 SL600, I browsed a bit around here, seems not enough threads discussing 230 platform SL600.

Car has 37k miles and seems to be well maintained, I test drove SL550 and did not like it as the car was neglected and did not feel right. I want a convertible for a weekend car, Mercedes and BMW top my list, I am retired and can afford the maintenance of these things, I appreciate forum members input with regards to 07 SL600 in all aspects, comfort, smoothness, reliability and performance, some 08 SL550 are available for 10K less than the SL600, which one would you chose if you are in my shoes, also would not mind a BMW. Willing to spend up to $28K.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello Mercedes Enthusiasts,

New here to this forum, owned 37 years ago MB 1979 280s, looking currently at MB 07 SL600, I browsed a bit around here, seems not enough threads discussing 230 platform SL600.

Car has 37k miles and seems to be well maintained, I test drove SL550 and did not like it as the car was neglected and did not feel right. I want a convertible for a weekend car, Mercedes and BMW top my list, I am retired and can afford the maintenance of these things, I appreciate forum members input with regards to 07 SL600 in all aspects, comfort, smoothness, reliability and performance, some 08 SL550 are available for 10K less than the SL600, which one would you chose if you are in my shoes, also would not mind a BMW. Willing to spend up to $28K.
Welcome to the forum. I'm new to this after a recent purchase of my first MB SL 600 2005. I paid $29500 for a one owner car which lived all its life in Palm Beach, Florida. In beautiful condition only 40k miles. Serviced at MB dealership. Wonderful history and owner. I have had minor repairs which I have been able to fix myself. I do have a mechanical background which helps tremendously with these cars. I'm enjoying the challenge of learning about these SL's.
This and other forums are a wealth of information. The members are wonderful sharing there knowledge and experiences. The performance, balance and feel of my 600 is like nothing I've ever driven in the past. MB didn't make a whole lot of these models, and with the right color combo, AMG status and P30 packages with key-less2go, Distronic, Parktronic, Panoramic sun roof systems are considerations. Some also will come with different stereo/audio configurations. I found there are plenty for sale on "bringatrailer.com" website. Look forward to see what you will finally end up purchasing.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
W164 GL450, W221 S550, R230 SL600TT, R170 SLK230, W140 S500, More
959 Posts
I own both SL600 2004 and SL550 2007. Both fabulous cars. With the V12 you have intercoolers with a cooling system, I had replaced all my intercooler hoses, not terribly cheap but they were 15 years old, now they are all new. Also you have ignition coilpacks which can break, if and when that happens get it rebuilt by Clark (Info all over on this site). Great job. The spark plugs replacement is a "job" on this engine since they are under the coil packs, and there are 24 of them, cost just for the plugs is about $250 so people tend to ignore them, Mistake: Old plugs gap can increase, and make it harder work for the coilpack to make the spark jump, so new plugs and the exact right ones, will make your coilpacks last longer, IMHO. At 50K miles or less I would replace all the plugs with the exact ones (NGK Iridium) that the owners book says to use, and No substitutes. Other than that, there's the ABC suspension to maintain, and that's about all, besides the top, that there is to worry about for the 600. The brakes on the SL600!!! Four piston calipers, never seen anything stop like these, Just remember they are special and the SBC makes it highly dangerous to replace brake parts without first disabling the SBC pump... For this reason I would just have a qualified shop do the brakes on these cars... Also never seen anything GO like the SL600. When I first test drove my SL550 I asked, "Where's the other 300 horsepowers?! My 600 has a Renntech ECU with total almost 700HP. In factory form, came with 493HP and something like 510 foot pounds torque?! Either car you get, you will love. The R230 SL600 V12 twin turbo, they made only 4,015 of them! Pretty rare cars. I never drive mine in the rain, or when streets are wet or icy. No snow either. CTEK battery tender a must for any time parked more than about 5-6 days. If you want one of these cars, look all over the country and educate yourself about them first! Then you'll be a smart buyer. There is Nothing else like an SL600 R230!!
My SL550 is still an awesome car, near 400HP and so much torque that the previous owner, an old lady, never went over the speed limit for over ten years. With these cars there is so much torque, if you're a slow and careful driver you might never see RPM over 2800!!! For Years!! That was the case with mine, and the engine was suffering because of it. It was highly carboned-up inside. A friend who is a Boeing engineer said "We gotta seafoam this car." You take two cans of seafoam, slowly spray it into the engine intake while holding the gas pedal to keep the engine from stalling, takes 15-20 minutes to get it all in, finally shut off the engine and let it soak 30 minutes. Then, drive it like you stole it! Literally. Talking, up hills at 5500-6000RPM pedal to the floor, all that carbon burns up and out the exhaust, Massive smoke clouds, for nearly half an hour...a whole engine full of carbon loosened up by the Seafoam and blown out the exhaust. After 30 minutes like this, no more smoke and the engine was running SOOOOOOOO much better, it was like you spent $700 on a tune-up at the Benz dealership. After that, THEN new spark plugs, oil and filters changes, and the car drives as new today. Any 32 valve V8 NEEDS to see higher RPM every once in a while to blow out the carbon, more than other engines even. Not everyone's engine needs this treatment, most do not. But mine sure did! Once I met the little old lady who owned the car for over ten years, I understood... seeing how she drives, Hahaha, I bet she never had to get any new brake pads, driving that slowly! Most SL owners drive a little bit sporty, I would assume.... but not all of them. I am sure that whichever R230 you choose, you will love the car, and with all the knowledge you can find on Benzworld, it's pretty easy to learn a lot about anything you have questions on.

·
Registered
2004 SL600; 2004 SL500; 2003 ML350; 1997 C280 Sport; 1987 190e 2.3 16v; 1986 190e 2.3 16V;
689 Posts
Have a 2004 red/red SL500 and a 2004 SL600 black/charcoal. Based on the VIN, the SL600 is 6000 cars newer. I'll brag a bit, I got both dirt cheap during the height of the covid scare.
The 500 has 80,000 miles on it, dealer maintained, is perfect, and paid 11,000 for it. I put a water pump on it. Resealed the breather covers, and changed he plugs and wires at the same time. And just to be sure, both batteries. Seems to have every option. Red and red - gets all sorts of looks. So have maybe 13,000 in it total
The 600 has 36,000 miles on it, not dealer maintained, and paid 13,500 for it. I put tires on it, had to replace the middle top cylinder. I believe the car to be chipped, trans end engine. Seems much more powerful than a buddy's SL600. I'll replace the brakes in the spring. Rear seal is weeping, that will be replaced in the spring as well. Had to replace the plastic covers on the hardtop, and changed both batteries just because. Also have the child seat SRS thing going on; I bought the bypass module which will be installed in the spring as well. So all in, and the repairs needed, about $17,000. Unlike the red 500, no panorama and no distronic. Other than that, all the other options.
I do my own work, though I'll have the rear seal done at a local shop that has experience doing the job successfully.
I love the SL600. Not as much looks by others as the red one, but the pure pleasure of driving this thing is just the bomb. If I want to go slow, I do. If I want to show off, I do, but not much. Out in the country on twisty roads, so awesome. 120mph in no time; have to watch it. Those mph climb much quicker and smoother than you are used to. Even the wife likes the 12cyl more than her red car, and other than 38 years of hitting me when I take hard turns, she accepts the 600 is made for it; haven't been slapped yet in it!
I am expecting that at some point the pump will need to be replaced; on both cars, but the fluid is clean and no noises right now though.
I also bought a c3/xentry/das setup. Only thing I used it for so far was general scan and to turn off the darn tele-aid warning in the 600.
Buy that SL600 - you'll love it.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Actually neglect is bad, when I got my SL550 I should have known better but the car was so beautiful and I sort of thought of it as a project. The dealer guy said it was "All serviced up" meaning it needed no servicing. It was washed and waxed and beautiful, and it was a burning hot July day. I took his word for it. The sales guy said he had "Replaced one motor mount", That turned out to be a lie just as the claims that the car was all serviced was as well. The car didn't run as well as I thought it should, it vibrated and the engine didn't really have full power. But the servicing it needed is pretty inexpensive, really. Oil change, all filters, spark plugs... The Seafoam treatment to clean out carbon inside the engine. Also I didn't like the vibration and having replaced engine and transmission mounts on several other Benzos I've owned, I bought all new mounts and had my indy guy go to that. None of the three mounts (2 engine and 1 trans) were "new". That was the most expensive "servicing" and it was about $200 for the mounts and $400 for my indy guy. The car looks, runs and drives just like new now. So I didn't do too badly. Just remember this: If a car sales person is talking, LIES are happening. Do not forget this advice. Believe them Not!!!

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz SL600
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Tony, Fred and Jimmy, thank you for your input, enjoyed your posts and is making my decision easier indeed.

What is the service required for the hydraulic suspension and at what mileage/age do you recommend, also from your own experience what is the approx. cost of replacing all fluids as preventive maintenance once I buy the car.

Again thanks for your quick responses 😊

·
Registered
2004 SL600; 2004 SL500; 2003 ML350; 1997 C280 Sport; 1987 190e 2.3 16v; 1986 190e 2.3 16V;
689 Posts
As for the fluid changes, I do it myself, so I can't help you. Fluids and filters are cheap. The labor, not so much!
This may help:

Service Intervals

·
Registered
959 Posts
Engine oil changes I do myself using Mobil One and Mann or Hengst oil filters, cost of an oil change is about $50-60 for oil and $15 for an oil filter. Coolant cost is just the price of two jugs of antifreeze, be sure to get the correct type. Brake fluid change I have done at a local foreign car shop that's family owned and in business over 30 years, a treasure actually because they are more honest and trustworthy than the local Benz dealership which falsified a $400 inspection report and stole things out of my car! This shop charges about $125 for brake fluid change, and about $750 for a full transmission service. The ABC suspension fluid and filter change, if I recall they charge about $500 for that. The V12's intercooler system is a separate cooling system from the engine antifreeze/coolant system, I had both done completely with all new hoses and the hose kit for the intercoolers had to be ordered from Germany and took weeks to arrive. Those are special and specific hoses. I'm glad to know all of those hoses are new now! Instead of 15 years old.

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz SL600
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Tony for the valuable information you provided to me, gentlemen you are great resource.

I have bought the car this evening and it is sitting now in my garage, I test drove it and was blown away with its performance, looks and handling, absolutely love it and I don't mind spending serious money on this baby if it needs it. And hey this is coming from an ex-owner of 2015 Porsche 911GTS, I think this vehicle might be quicker.

Thank you all for your input, happy Owner of 07 SL600 with 37k miles on the clock, now I need to start planning for for all the fluids change and belts if needed.

Forgot to say I just got one key with the car, I need to get another one, any recommendations from forum members is appreciated.

Also any additional tips on preventative maintenance that I should consider now.

Now back to the owner manual to figure out all the features of this wonderful vehicle.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,636 Posts
You'll need to go to the dealer for a key. There are "other ways" to get a key, but you won't save much money and there is risk in damage to the EIS when the guys reprogram its EEPROM for an aftermarket key. Unfortunately, you're probably looking at $350 for a basic key, $500 if it has KeylessGo.

Reactions: BeMyWn

·
Registered
2003 SL55; 2008 S550
481 Posts
Congrats on the purchase! I think you will have a ball with this car. I want one!

As for preventative maintenance...if you search for 'buyers guide' in this forum you will find a wealth of data for items to address. Some are age related; some are mileage related; some were wrong from the factory when new.

When your search fails, start asking questions of the forum. Great group, with a ton of knowledge.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Congratulations, on one of the most fabulous cars ever made! I hope you have a place to keep it parked indoors. My SL600 has seen a total of twelve rain drops since I bought it. It's easy to check your air filters, they are pretty inexpensive to replace also. Take the car along with proof of ownership to a Benz dealer to order a key. Don't leave your car there unattended; they may steal your floor mats! One other very important thing to note! DO NOT park in ordinary parking spaces, next to ordinary cars! Luckily for me, or unlucky as the case may be, I have serious spine injuries from years past and qualify for handicap tag parking. Those are much safer from door dings, otherwise you join the Ding-A-Day club. I never, ever park near ordinary cars. You'll come out to find someone who has parked less than two feet away from your car, and is going through all their worldly possessions, falling and tripping on that stuff and dropping it on your car!!! People have zero respect. If they can't respect themselves, how are they going to respect anyone else's property. Then there's the occasional jerk who has a junker and doesn't understand how you worked hard for years, scrimped and saved for your dream car, and is simply jealous. I can't stress the importance of this, enough. I prefer Mercedes to Porsche just because of the amazing crash protection you have in a Benz. There is nothing, no other car, like an SL600. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and Pictures!!!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
20,636 Posts
Nice car!

Reactions: BeMyWn

·
Registered
2005 SL500 (R230)
48 Posts
I love the mask sitting in the front seat. I've got those all over the place.

Never seen the rubber MB mats before. Nice!
Are the chrome door thresholds metal? The plastic one in my driver side cracked and had to be replaced.

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes Benz SL600
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love the mask sitting in the front seat. I've got those all over the place.

Never seen the rubber MB mats before. Nice!
Are the chrome door thresholds metal? The plastic one in my driver side cracked and had to be replaced.
Purchase price included the mask, ;)
The door chrome is plastic and there are small bubbles in it, so I believe it might start peeling or something.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Fabulous Car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My 2004 SL600 with all its special options, the doorsills are grey plastic! Passenger side is cracked at the place where it holds down. 2007 SL550 are chromed metal, beautiful and more sturdy. How is that black beauty when you step on the gas pedal!!!! I would want to get that sticker off the paint at the rear and buy a Mercedes Benz license plate frame

1 - 20 of 43 Posts