Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Benz
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few days ago I placed a order for a 06 SL55. Not expecting any changes, really want the DVD nav and optional goods compared to the 04's.

My question is this: If I go with the SL600 (amg package, fully loaded) vs the SL55 (fully loaded) what am I missin gout on? I'd like as much of a comparison as possible.

BTW.. Whichever car I do decide on, I have already decided on minimal upgrades (Chip, etc.)

SL55 or SL600 ???

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
After being faced with this dilemma, and test driving both, in my opinion, you should stick with the 55. Because of both looks and performance...

AMG know how to tune cars, and everything has been uprated in order for the SL to handle 500bhp... AMG have tuned the brakes, suspension, transmission, seats and even the steering wheel... The 600 is heavier than the 55 and has worse handling.

And those two twin exhausts look and sound AWESOME.

Also the 55 is slightly cheaper, so why pay more for the same performace as the 55, less all the AMG extras mentioned??

Look for my previous post which has an article from a good UK magazine which compares the SL55, SL600 and SL65....

·
Registered
e55k,
252 Posts
Sorry EXT, my opnion is totally different. I think the 600 all the way. A) it is faster high and low end B)rides better C) way more upgradeable...i e renntech will get you faster (625 hp), (or as fast) and more power than the sl65 for 6k. Also the torque is way more in the 600 than the 55.
The decision is a no brainer...the AMG engine is almost maxed out..the 600 can "grow" with you. For those of you who do not think the 600 is faster(than the 55), it is. I have a e55K and my dad has smoked me on numerous occasions, and from 80 on up and 60 on up. (and by the way the e55 has the exact same HP as the s55 cl55 and sl55 Benz just says it is detuned for marketing and the 600 engine actually produces over 500hp stock) It is a bit more(8k?)to get the 600 but the difference is $$ well spent.
There have been questions just like this in the past and most at this forum will tell you 600 is the road to take.

·
Registered
A200 Turbo-C230K-S320 CDI-SL55-C63AMG
346 Posts
The 55 is a MUCH better drive. If you want to drive quietly in straight lines all day, go for the 600.

Bottom line is if you want a real sports car, it has to be an 'AMG'. Yes, you can upgrade the engine power yourself, but there is a reason why Mercedes haven't done it themselves on the 600, but done it on the 65. You can't just dump an amazingly powerful engine in the same car which is also made with a 3.5 litre V6. AMG are expects in racing and tuning, and have altered the car in the ways I mentioned previously, so it can handle this serious kind of power.

Also, there is the issue of the warranty. Most dealers won't honour the warranty when aftermarket changes are made. Yes, it may be almost undetectable and the tuner will give you their warranty, but what happens when things go wrong? The tuner will say its Mercedes' fault and they will say its the tuner's fault...

·
Registered
cl65 amg
196 Posts
but ^^ you go make your sl600 625 horse power and 745 torque which would go 0-60 in 3.9 sec

^^ and spend 6000 on it and you have full warranty by renntech no problems so far on my 65 ^^ 670 horse 840 torque now!

hehe i prefer 600 more then 55 coz 600 interior quality is much more suprior =0) but if your buying get the 55 unoless you lease it then get 600 =)

·
Registered
Benz
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to stay with the SL55. My salesman knows me better when it comes to these things and has personally said that I'll be much more happy with the 55. Besides, I can't let go of the "AMG"

Thanks for your comments guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts