Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
MB SL600, BMW335
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the two O2 sensors by the cats with universal sensors about 18 months (5kmiles) ago. Now, I'm getting a code twelve (heated O2 heater sircuuit open or short) on Pin 19. Are there other O2 sensors? Can these give this code? Is there a way tell which O2 sensor is bad?

Thanks!

·
Registered
MB CLS550 -09, MB SL600 -94, MB 560SL, MB 170s, Austin Healey Sprite
831 Posts
As mentioned above, only two Lambda sonds (O2 sensors), located directly on the catalytic converters.
I have no experience with universal ones, but if I were to replace mine, I would go for wide band universal ones. Basically because I could get more information from the engine that way and emulate original ones.

BTW, I have never replaced one either, I have moved a few around, but never actually bought a new one.

·
Registered
MB SL600, BMW335
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As mentioned above, only two Lambda sonds (O2 sensors), located directly on the catalytic converters.
I have no experience with universal ones, but if I were to replace mine, I would go for wide band universal ones. Basically because I could get more information from the engine that way and emulate original ones.

BTW, I have never replaced one either, I have moved a few around, but never actually bought a new one.
Henrik:

I used Bosch universal. They came with a special connection system to prevent bad connections. And, the car hasn't been driven in the rain (or snow!). I wonder if they could temporarily read defective because of some incomplete warm-ups (backing out of the garage only)??

Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
MB SL600, BMW335
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Recently, I removed the relay that was supposed to control how long the transmission stayed in first gear during warm-up. I had read a post that said it was ok to remove this and not have the delayed shifting when cold. When the code appeared, I replace the relay. But, now I wonder if the relay removal left the O2 sensor in warm-up mode and burned-up the circuit???

·
Registered
MB CLS550 -09, MB SL600 -94, MB 560SL, MB 170s, Austin Healey Sprite
831 Posts
Henrik:

I used Bosch universal. They came with a special connection system to prevent bad connections. And, the car hasn't been driven in the rain (or snow!). I wonder if they could temporarily read defective because of some incomplete warm-ups (backing out of the garage only)??

Thanks,

Bill
I would never hesitate using universal parts, as most knows I prefer it. I usually think that original ones are overpriced. Of course it should still be good quality parts.

Bosch ones should be OEM-quality or better.

I honestly have no idea, as usual, one indication = nothing, 3 or more, replace part... :)

·
Registered
MB SL600, BMW335
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would never hesitate using universal parts, as most knows I prefer it. I usually think that original ones are overpriced. Of course it should still be good quality parts.

Bosch ones should be OEM-quality or better.

I honestly have no idea, as usual, one indication = nothing, 3 or more, replace part... :)
I've cleared the codes twice now.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts