Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to purchase a friend's one-owner '94 SL600. It only has 48000 miles and is perfect. I have been cautioned by the dealer that 600s are difficult and expensive to work on, and that the power is comparable to a 500, which is easier to maintain. Please share any experiences/opinions/impressions you may have about a 600. ANY help appreciated.<br>
<br>
Thanks in advance, <br>
Patrick<br>
'88 300SE<br>
'89 Porsche 911

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am looking into buying a 1995 sl600 with 38000 miles. what has been your experience with your car. please let me know. thanks

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do not own a 600. I was also hoping to learn opinions. In correction of my first message, the car I'm looking at has 53K not 48K. Still looking for advice or comments please.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 94 SL600 w/62k miles, I love it and have had no problems, I have the maintenance done by a local mechanic, synthetic oil every 3k miles and it is garaged. The acceleration is awesome, even at the high range over 60mph. It is black (had the side panels and bumbers also done in black). It gets Imperial Hand Glaze, blitz wax and blitz quick detailer. I am in the process of getting European headlights. If I had a gripe, it is the paint chipping on the hood (will be repainted) which might be one of the downsides to driving fast! Any specific questions just ask.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 94 SL600 w/62k miles, I love it and have had no problems. It gets synthetic oil every 3k miles and is serviced as called for. The acceleration is awesome, even at the high range 60-100mph. It is black (had the side panels and bumpers also done in black). If I had a gripe, it is the paint chipping on the hood (will be repainted) which might be one of the downsides to driving fast! Oh yes, I managed to fry my my stock headlights using too high a wattage bulb. The engine is a thing of beauty. Any specific questions just ask.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had my '97 500SL in for service and was chatting with the service manager. He said they really liked working on the 500 but the 600 was a lot more work. The average tune-up for the 600 averages nearly double that on a 500, he said.<br> <br> Granted, this was the service area of a local MBZ dealership. So as another poster suggested, you might want to look around and see if you have access to a local, good mechanic that can help you out for less.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I owned a 96 SL600 and while I enjoyed the car, I did have one major complaint. Because the car is so front heavy Mercedes has put in the 2 stage adjustable shocks. I thought the soft setting caused the car to hobby horse, that is, the front end bobbed up and down. On the firm setting the car road like a truck. So I sold it and bought an SL500, which I have found to be a much more balanced car.

·
Registered
S430,190E 2.6,SL500
194 Posts
The SL600 is only .2 seconds faster off the line than the 500. Yet it costs a whole lot mo...

The SL600 is only .2 seconds faster off the line than the 500. Yet it costs a whole lot more and consumes unbelievable amounts of fuel. The 500 is a better choice for a daily car but if you plan to not use the car as much, the 600 is a true collector car.

·
Registered
AMG C43 T-Model
3 Posts
SL600 or SL500

Hi,
I drove them both. The differences are for me:
a.)V12-sopran-singing against V8-rumbling and b.) the feeling to drive which means that the V12 is so heavy in front that it is not nice to use it around the corners.
The difference in power is significant, but the diffence in road-handling also.
I found my personal favorite: an SL60 AMG with almost the same power as an SL600 V12, but with the cornering-feeling like the C43 or a SLK. Just great.
What I drive? A C43 T-model, an SL500 standard and the SL 60 AMG.
You have to make your own decision what you like more.
Dani

·
Registered
47 Posts
SL600 advice

as this car is not 10 years old yet you can get extended starmark warrenty on this vehicle from a dealer........best advice anybody could ever give you.........awsome car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts