Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everybody,
Was anybody else following the auction on Ebay UK for a 'stolen recovered' 1997 SL60 AMG with 60,000 miles, that finished a few minutes ago? All jolly exciting stuff. Started at £5k, was at £10k with 15 minutes to go and finally sold for £13,100. That's good money, but what did surprise me was that apparently the insurance company had paid £28,000 for its loss presumably to the previous owner.

If the new owner is out there, well done. Looks a really nice car.

Regards
Steve

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
mmmmmmmmmm

Someone was suspiciously in the UK and roaming over a Renntech on ebay.
Was it a distraction?

·
Registered
'91 300SL(sold) 2000 SL320 Edition '94 E220 T auto
698 Posts
Yeah I was watching it and was interested to see what it made.

I saw another car not so long ago from the same seller I think, and for me there was much too little info on any damage done and generally seemed short on info/history/how it drives/repairs?? and more to the point why the insurance company may have paid out a whack on it. They wouldn't have if it was virtually undamaged...maybe it's all a-ok but too little info on ad...

·
Registered
1997 SL500, 1948 Rover 75 P3, 1984 Citroen 2CV, 1953 BSA Bantam D1, 1966 Velosolex Moped
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I was watching it and was interested to see what it made.

I saw another car not so long ago from the same seller I think, and for me there was much too little info on any damage done and generally seemed short on info/history/how it drives/repairs?? and more to the point why the insurance company may have paid out a whack on it. They wouldn't have if it was virtually undamaged...maybe it's all a-ok but too little info on ad...
I'm not certain how it works, but I'm assuming the car 'disappeared' for a while and the insurance company paid out (£28,000 still seems a lot to me though). Possibly the car was recovered undamaged later and became the property of the insurance company, and this company acts as their agent to recover whatever money they can. Its a soft-top so maybe no locks were forced when it was nicked, note no mention of a hardtop. Original owner might have had a spare key.
I suspect it might be a good car with a somewhat chequered history, but I'm assuming a lot here aren't I?
Regards
Steve

·
Sith Lord
72 280SE 88 560SEC 92 E500 6.0 95 SL320 14 GLK350
11,814 Posts
Parting out? That seems to be a nice car, particularly the interior.

·
Registered
Departed 1998 SL500 (and the Pano is in Bogota)
12,187 Posts
No visible damage and no hardtop mentioned. Do you suppose they did all that just to get the Pano ?:D

·
Registered
'91 300SL(sold) 2000 SL320 Edition '94 E220 T auto
698 Posts
I'm not certain how it works, but I'm assuming the car 'disappeared' for a while and the insurance company paid out (£28,000 still seems a lot to me though). Possibly the car was recovered undamaged later and became the property of the insurance company, and this company acts as their agent to recover whatever money they can. Its a soft-top so maybe no locks were forced when it was nicked, note no mention of a hardtop. Original owner might have had a spare key.
I suspect it might be a good car with a somewhat chequered history, but I'm assuming a lot here aren't I?
Regards
Steve
Good thought, that never occured to me. You're right £28000 does seem a lot. I used to know someone who bought damaged cars and he seemed to always find out how much was paid out but the insurers..he always used to boast about it!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts