Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On this week's Autocar (UK magazine) there is the preview of next week's contest. They took the cars to Nardo (an oval track in the South of Italy) to test which was the fastest...<br> <br> You will not believe it but the SL kicked everybody's ass. Without the speed limiter the SL reached 208mph (338km/h) and lapped at an average of 202mph. Nothig came close. The suspension stability programme made it possible to take the car to the limit without risking the dirver's life....<br> <br> I have started saving to get one. List price in Europe is 126,000 euros to which u have to add the Comand, metallic paint and a stereo... So make it 130,000 euros... around $117k

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I get this magazine?

Is there any way to get this article on the Internet? If not, how can I get my hands on this magazine if I live in the US?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would you mind posting the article when it comes?

When you get this article is there any way you can post it somewhere? It would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: How do I get this magazine?

I've seen AutoCar at Books-A-Million before. A local bookstore here carries various foreign car magazines and more - and I'm in SC!<br>
<br>
Tarik

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is in Autocar mag, correct? checking b/c...

I ordered this particular issue with the a store that is shipping the article to me. Again, thanks for the info.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5 fastest production cars in test

The SL55 will beat the lot.... <br> <br> The latest issue of the German car magazine Auto Motor und Sport (AMS) has a comparison between 5 +300 km/h cars. They are all non modified production cars: <br> <br> Aston Martin Vanquish <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello <br> Lamborghini Murciélago <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG (unlimited version, a DM 3000 option) <br> Porsche GT2 <br> <br> They test the cars at the Italian high speed track Nardo (where you don't have any centrifugal force on the car when doing 240km/h). They test acceleration 0-100km/h, 0-200km/h, 0-300km/h and topspeed. <br> <br> The results are surprising: <br> <br> 0-100 km/h: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 5.6 s <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 4.7 s <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 3.6 s <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 4.6 s <br> Porsche GT2 4.0 s <br> <br> 0-200 km/h: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 17.4 s <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 14.6 s <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 11.4 s <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 13.7 s <br> Porsche GT2 13.1 s <br> <br> 0-300 km/h: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 55.0 s <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 61.2 s <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 34.2 s <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 32.5 s <br> Porsche GT2 40.9 s <br> <br> Top speed: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 316 km/h <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 306 km/h <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 330 km/h <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 325 km/h <br> Porsche GT2 315 km/h <br> <br> The Mercedes Sl55 AMG (with automatic transmission and tons of extra options) is the fastest car to 300 km/h and only slower in top speed than the twice as expensive Lamborghini... <br> <br> Weight of the cars: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 1863 kg <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 1732 kg <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 1819 kg <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 1974 kg <br> Porsche GT2 1446 kg <br> <br> CW value: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 0.34 <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 0.33 <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 0.33 <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 0.29 <br> Porsche GT2 0.34 <br> <br> The SL 55 AMG is the heaviest car but also has the best CW value.<br> <br> <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Autocar... correct.... sorry but it will be at the newstands only next Wednesday.

But ML55..... has put together a great all the important infos for the moment...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SL beating all others in high-speed tests...

In all excitement, you forgot to mention the following four facts:<br>
<br>
- Lamborghini and Porsche did EXACTLY what the engineers predicted, acceleration and top speed, no more, no less.<br>
<br>
- Mercedes brought an 'open' version, which you cannot officially get at the dealership. Instead of the regularly governed version (155 mph), for an additional US$ 1,500 you can obtain a 'wider open' one, limited to 188 mph - that's all.<br>
<br>
- The SL's hp-reading topped out at 500 hp, a whopping 5% <i>above</i> manufacturer's specs, and not exactly to be expected in every regular-production SL.<br>
<br>
- During the (short) test, the SL ate the compressor's drive belt, rendering the engine modifications useless (as did the Ferrari to its alternator/water pump belt).<br>
<br>
Just to keep the record straight, although the overall result is surely impressive. After all it was <i>Auto, Motor und Sport</i>, a pro-MB publication...<br>
<br>
Tarik

·
Registered
CLK 320 cabrio. A190
36 Posts
Re: 5 fastest production cars in test

The SL55 will beat the lot.... <br> <br> The latest issue of the German car magazine Auto Motor und Sport (AMS) has a comparison between 5 +300 km/h cars. They are all non modified production cars: <br> <br> Aston Martin Vanquish <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello <br> Lamborghini Murciélago <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG (unlimited version, a DM 3000 option) <br> Porsche GT2 <br> <br> They test the cars at the Italian high speed track Nardo (where you don't have any centrifugal force on the car when doing 240km/h). They test acceleration 0-100km/h, 0-200km/h, 0-300km/h and topspeed. <br> <br> The results are surprising: <br> <br> 0-100 km/h: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 5.6 s <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 4.7 s <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 3.6 s <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 4.6 s <br> Porsche GT2 4.0 s <br> <br> 0-200 km/h: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 17.4 s <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 14.6 s <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 11.4 s <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 13.7 s <br> Porsche GT2 13.1 s <br> <br> 0-300 km/h: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 55.0 s <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 61.2 s <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 34.2 s <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 32.5 s <br> Porsche GT2 40.9 s <br> <br> Top speed: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 316 km/h <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 306 km/h <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 330 km/h <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 325 km/h <br> Porsche GT2 315 km/h <br> <br> The Mercedes Sl55 AMG (with automatic transmission and tons of extra options) is the fastest car to 300 km/h and only slower in top speed than the twice as expensive Lamborghini... <br> <br> Weight of the cars: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 1863 kg <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 1732 kg <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 1819 kg <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 1974 kg <br> Porsche GT2 1446 kg <br> <br> CW value: <br> Aston Martin Vanquish 0.34 <br> Ferrari 550 Maranello 0.33 <br> Lamborghini Murciélago 0.33 <br> Mercedes SL55 AMG 0.29 <br> Porsche GT2 0.34 <br> <br> The SL 55 AMG is the heaviest car but also has the best CW value.<br> <br> <br> <br>
i'v heard stuff that the SL that was tested was a sort of 'different' one then the stock.
but that just 'haters' rumors i think

·
Registered
1 Posts
SL55 AMG Speed Limiter

I have read that when the speed limiter is removed and the car is pushed to its limits, the tires blow! Is there any truth to that? Do you have to get special tires? Is anyone knowledgable about this?
I was all excited to order mine with no speed limiter, and now I am worried.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Speed limiter

I've read that there are two systems within the car for speed limiting. But I've also read articles that contradict that. One of the major maganzines (R&T, C&D, MT, etc) had an article that talked about the incredible power you can't use because "they don't make tires for it yet". If you can find that article it explains it clearly.

In any event, the best I've been able to piece together, if you have the limiter removed, the car is still limited to 186mph by a "black box". Companies like Brabus remove the 155mph limiter, but leave the black box in place. As I understand it, the tires can handle 186mph. Auto Motor und Sport (german publication) tested the car at Nardo and claimed 208mph top speed with all limiters removed. But according the other article (sorry can't remember which pub) the tires weren't rated for the car's 4,000+ lb weight at that speed. I don't understand how they did this without the tires blowing. In any event, plenty fast with the standard limiter removed. Too fast for me in fact, I get nervous around 130mph. If I find the article I'll post the link.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts