Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was at my MB dealer inquiring re 2007 pricing on the SL. Told him I was not happy with the option bundling since the most important option for me is parktronic. Have it on both my MB's and my wife and I love it. Anyway he basically said that they would order with the two premium packages and only charge me for parktronic. So not too bad. Did not go further at this time.

On my way home passed a BMW dealer and went to have a look at the 6 convertible. Black with red interior. Beautiful looking car.

What does everyone think of the 6 series BMW? Is it worth a consideration. My current SL500 is a 2003 and my warranty just ran out.

·
Registered
1987 300SL, 2000 E320 Wagon, 2003 SL500, 2009 SL55 AMG
76 Posts
If you "love" your 2003, why not consider an extended warranty ? I did it with my 24,000 mile 2003 after also looking at a new SL550 and also the BMW 650 Conv. .... a new SL550 with all of the "stuff" on it that my 2003 has ( it has every option available in 2003 -- from the AMG package including the chrome AMG wheels to the Panorama roof to Parktronic to all of the wood packages to tire pressure monitors to vented seats and so much more -- I am spoiled ) lists or $119,000.00 and change ...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am interested in buying a used 2003 sl500 with all possible options and was wondering how well you liked your car and comments on all the options. thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parktronic really great and will not buy another car without it. Tire monitor OK but now standard. Xenons fine and keyless go a fun toy but really not worth the cost.

·
Registered
1987 300SL, 2000 E320 Wagon, 2003 SL500, 2009 SL55 AMG
76 Posts
The vented seats are nice especially when it is really hot outside .... the Panorama roof is great in the winter time as well as in the summer;you feel like you are outside with the top up with either the heat on or in the summer with the air on.

·
Registered
2007 S550 4MATIC, 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S cabriolet
43 Posts
jbc said:
I am interested in buying a used 2003 sl500 with all possible options and was wondering how well you liked your car and comments on all the options. thanks
I have an '03 SL500 I bought 5/05 - had an initial issue with water leaking in the top edge of the roof due to a bad seal, but otherwise no problems. I highly recommend it! Xenons are great. I don't have keyless, but hear that once you have it you'll never go back....

·
Registered
2003 SL500, Firemist Red, Distronic, Keyless Go, Parktronic, Bi-Xenons, Comfort & Wood Trim Packages
26 Posts
If you do much longer distance driving, the distronic is definitely an option to have. Contrary to what you might think, it's actually more useful on two lane roads. On four-lane interstates, if I come up on a slower car I just pass on the left. But if you're on a busy two-lane where it's hard to pass or you're simply not in a hurry and want to kick back to enjoy the sunshine and chat, you can set the distronic to track the car in front of you. It maintains a constant distance. If the car turns off, the SL will apply the brakes and then re-accelerate by itself. On a longer trip, it's definitely less fatiguing.

Maybe I'm getting old and lazy...but I find it cool technology. One day all cars may have it.

Does BMW have something like it?

·
BenzWorld W208 Host
140 Posts
david3007 said:
Yesterday I was at my MB dealer inquiring re 2007 pricing on the SL. Told him I was not happy with the option bundling since the most important option for me is parktronic. Have it on both my MB's and my wife and I love it. Anyway he basically said that they would order with the two premium packages and only charge me for parktronic. So not too bad. Did not go further at this time.

On my way home passed a BMW dealer and went to have a look at the 6 convertible. Black with red interior. Beautiful looking car.

What does everyone think of the 6 series BMW? Is it worth a consideration. My current SL500 is a 2003 and my warranty just ran out.
Do not buy the 6 series unless you need the back seats. My friend has one and the gearbox is absolutely awful aparently it is a design fault! It is incredibly jerky when setting off at trafic lights. It feels as if it is going to stall and then suddenly jerks into gear. When driving hard then it really gets confused. In the UK they heavily depreciates too.

IMO just find a high spec used SL55/600/65 you wont regret it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's the SMG transmission. It only takes about a week to get used to it. When driven right, it can be pretty much as smooth as an automatic tran. The jerky start just takes a few days to get used to the throttle modulation.

·
Registered
91 black 300E (from college days), 01 Vette, 01 Porsche 911, 08 Porsche 911, Lincoln Navigator
442 Posts
Deciding between an SL 500 and a BMW 650 is a tough one, as I am going through the same.

Most people (guys & girls of all ages) seem to love the SL 500 design, whereas the 650 is like either a love/hate design, almost like the Porsche design.

I am leaning towards 650 because I need the backseats. I already have a two-seater 2+2 on my Porsche 911 so I don't need another 2-seater SL500, however good looking they are.

·
Registered
2.3 - 16 Euro / SL320
64 Posts
I would go for the SL550 anytime, specially with the new DOHC engine.
The 650i is not a pretty car in my opinion, the styling is overdone, while the R230 series is a beatiful car design.
Regards

1 - 11 of 11 Posts