Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the mag:<br> 'Without wanting to give too much away before you've read into the detail,<br> we couldn't have imagined that what we'd encounter upon arrival was a car<br> capable of making a 911 Turbo feel... well, I suppose the word I'm racking<br> my brain here for is... slow.'

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Matt, could you PLEASE post this article whenit becomes available?

I do not have it yet (Feb 02 issue) and was told by a friend of mine that works in the business and gets all the magazines before they hit the stands.<br> <br> I have now Autocar (the 200mph run between the 5 supercars). Basically it is a comment on how each car produced those numbers (and it is not a comparative test with driving sensations etc.) I will copy the bit about the SL. <br> <br> Or I can just buy a copy of the mag and post it to you...<br> <br> e-mail me what you think

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Matt...

I appreciate you offering to post it, but if you haven't bought the mag there is no reason to buy one on account of me. I will wait a few weeks and see if I can get mag here in the US. <br> <br> However, if you do decide to purchase the mag regardless, I would love to hear what they said about the SL 55's in comparison to the 996 Turbo. Particularly acceleration and handling stats.<br> Thanks again

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will buy the mag. If I manange to scan it I'll post it over here...

otherwise I'll summarize it and if u need more I'll send u a hard copy OK?<br> <br> Looks like this car is phenomenal. This kinda puts me in an uncomfortable situation. I am 29 and was planning to have kids in the next 2-3 years. Waiting list is 2 years. Wife will not agree in spending $110k on a 2 seater. I was thinking of getting a 996 Turbo because of the 2+2 but now... I love Benzes and this....<br> <br> I might decide to go for the new E55 supercharged Station Wagon.... :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Again..

It is unneccessary but greatly appreciated. If you could post some of the intersting parts of the article, that would be very cool. <br> <br> I don't have the same problem as you, I'm 22 and just graduated with no plans on marriage or kids for a LONG time. Practicality is not an issue for me.<br> <br> I have driven a 996 Turbo, for my father had one for a week, and it is a fantastic car that you can stuff little kids in its backseat. I would highly recommend it. <br> <br> However, if you are still interested in a Mercedes Roadster that cost a less, I couldn't think of a better car than the SLK 32 AMG. It is what I now drive, and I can't say enough about how great a car it is. My family has owned and cars from 996's to S55 to M5s, and I can speak from experience despite my age. Take the SLK 32 for a test drive, you will be pleasantly surprised.<br> <br> If you have any questions about the Turbo, post a message for me. The SL 55 will be in my possession hopefully by mid summer, and if you still have not made a decision about what car to get I will be able to give you first hand knowledge what to choose.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SLK

I currently have an SLK230. Bought it in 4/99 and will never part from it. I love the car. I was really tempted into upgrading to the 32... but with the family issue I decided to wait and add a 2+2 to the stable. <br> But my other option is to get a normal family car (E-class wagon, Audi RS4...) sell the SLK and get the SL55. We'll see. I certainly feel lucky to have these 'problems'....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Extracts from SL55 Vs 996 Turbo (Top Gear)

'Excuse me-says Bruno (MBhelping hand following in another SL) - do you want to keep your driving licence or what? Sometimes you were over 100km/h above the limit'. I think of telling B how the SL55 wasn't even getting into its stride. How I was merely ticling its throttle. Testing the air intake system. Tantalizing the fuel injection. And tormenting the rev counter which has not passed yet 3,500 rpm...<br> ... over an hour's drive on the autobahn, through towns and across country the SL55 has left me utterly flabber-gasted... ... the seemingly unstoppable surge of torque and power builds up from tickover...<br> ... on the open road the SL shines...there aren't analogies about being hit by a freight train or...which do really justice to the way the SL55's engine explodes into life with breathtaking force-regardless of the rpm. And then there is the soundtrack. Boy does this thing want to be heard. ... the V8 engine lets out the loudest and lairiest noise I think my ears have ever been treated to in a road car. It's so deep and full of bass that the SL's structure vibrates down to its core.... and that's just with the gearbox locked into 4th. Think American Can Am racer, think Panoz at Le Mans...<br> The 911 simply can't compete at these level. To be brutally honest it's too civilized for its own good when you want to let it off the leash. Still the performance isn't that far behind the SL's and the tables turn when we reach snaking roads running through the hills... And despite the Merc's terribly clever and good ABC you really can feel the diff. The 911's nose darts into corners with total conviction. its steering pin-prick precise... of the 2 this is the only one you'd consider driving with the driver aid turned off... Switch off the Merc's ESP and then you'd better be ready for some frequent visits to your local quick-fit (tire shop)...<br> ...The SL55 turns in smatrly, without rolling, and grips surprisingly strongly at the front. But the steering's too light... and u can feel all its weight (415kg heavier than the 911) and the (braking) pedal action feels too soft and soggy...<br> ...and then the roads open up and once again the SL55 leaves you feeling in awe. The engine is the focal point of this package... pulling out onto a slip road up towards the autobahn.... a glance at the rearview mirror shows the Turbo is on sat on my chuff. Or at least it was before we pulled onto the autobahn. Another glance and it's definetely dropped back by an appreciable distance. This SL is an animal.... It's at 3figure speed that the SL55 really shows whats it's capable of.... The 911 sits up there with the very best of the best... in the bends it does everything better than the Mercedes. It steers with vast superiority, handles perfectly, stops strongly and really engages the driver. Yet in so many other ways those who fall for the SL's combo of outright power and high-tech charms would not for a second consider opting for the Porsche...<br> (the SL55) what a car, what a wicked, wicked thing. Finally someone allowed the Mercedes engineers to let their hair down, live a little and forget all that rtedious paperwork, market research and focus groups. Just do it and boy have they done it.....<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Extracts from SL55 Vs 996 Turbo (Top Gear)

Thanks for the post, Matt!<br> <br> I hit the local store yesterday to find the mag, but they still had the January issue only :-(<br> <br> Doody.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Wow, sounds ridiculous.<br> Thanks for posting parts of the article.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

A couple of days ago, I put money down to 5 different dealers to try to get a SL55. I'm second on the list to the one in Springfield, Missouri and less fortunate on the others. I'm about to wet my pants! Any real idea when these cars will hit the USA dealers?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SL 55 Arrival times

The SL 55 is expected to begin arriving to US shores mid summer, in late July. Obviously the dealers that sell the most SL's will be the ones to receive the first allocations.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts