Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a salvage sl55 as a project car, and it has been a project. After rebuilding the convertible top lock because it leaked all over the console it now will lock. I can hear the hydraulic pump, so i know it is working when locking. Nothing happens when i try to put the top down, other than the red light flashing on the convertible top switch. Also, the roll bar will go up and down without a problem. I have looked at the diagnostic pdf, and i have an icarsoft mb II, which shows no codes for the vario top with the exception of the pse pump. Forgot to mention, the pse pump is missing. hoses hanging, but no pump. I am looking for a replacement but they are pricey.

So the question is, do I need the pse pump in order to put the top down? i've seen mixed signals on this. I know the pump is not directly connected to the top controller, but in one thread they thought that the trunk lock may have some ties between pse and vario switches. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2003 sl55amg
68 Posts
My top will not go down if the trunk lid is not closed all the way by the soft close pull down. I don't know how this is signaled, but a dash warning appears when this happened. Now it's fixed, a new trunk battery (Autozone) worked for me.
Sounds like you've got a magical mystery tour ahead of you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The soft close on the trunk is fully down and the trunk appears fully closed. The battery is fully charged, after being on the charger overnight, but i'll test it to see if it's holding the charge.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'03 SL500, '03 SL55, '97 SL320, (2) '91 300SL, (2) '91 500SL, '00 S500 -- all for sale
4,185 Posts
The switch that signals to the roof controller that the trunk partition is closed is wired to the PSE pump, so you must have the pump.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The switch that signals to the roof controller that the trunk partition is closed is wired to the PSE pump, so you must have the pump.
Thanks. I have searched everywhere and could not get a definitive answer. I just wish the car had one that could be rebuilt, but it was removed. Time to find a replacement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure enough. I an over priced pse pump and my top goes up and down without any issues. Thanks BobTerry99.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Open the trunk and check that your flaps are not hanging...also any leak in the system will cause a lack of pressure needed to lift the top...could be as simple as a reset of the computer disconnect battery for 15mins or might need a scanner to do it

1 - 7 of 7 Posts