Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, was wondering if any of you could help us? I've got a 2002 SL55 and am having issues with the tranmission. When driving along normally each time I go to kick it down it jumps into neutral, revs and only re-engages once I've slowed down again (also changing up seems a bit sluggish). I've had the fluid level checked (which was OK)and the electrohydraulic control unit with valve body replaced but still the problem remains (incidentally when gearbox sump was removed I was told the fluid looked fine and there were no signs of any metal deposits in it). I am getting error code P2500. My concern is whether or not I'm looking at a replacement transmission as I know that's gonna cost! Also I'm having difficulty getting it out of park occasionally and understand that this could be the electronic selector module, could this be related to the first problem I've got or is it nothing to do with that? Any advice massively appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
sl 55 trans issue...

have you figured out what was wrong with your transmission?
seems mine just started doing the same thing.
any info would be appreciated, thanks

·
Registered
2004 Mercedes-Benz S55 ///AMG, 2006 Mercedes-Benz E350
685 Posts
Well, you did not include your mileage and when the fluid was last changed. For a 2002, I assume just over 100K miles. You mention a few problems with your trans. and quite possibly need a new/rebuilt transmission.

I recommend getting a free diagnosis or estimate from one of the more reputable national transmission centers, before talking to your Dealer service.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you did not include your mileage and when the fluid was last changed. For a 2002, I assume just over 100K miles. You mention a few problems with your trans. and quite possibly need a new/rebuilt transmission.

I recommend getting a free diagnosis or estimate from one of the more reputable national transmission centers, before talking to your Dealer service.

Good luck!
Hi there, thanks for your message, mileage is 48000 and fluid was last changed at 32000 miles two and a half years ago.

Car booked in at MB today for diagnosis (first impressions were that torque converter is playing up).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problem sorted. My multiplug on the side of the gearbox was leaking and so fluid whicked up the loom into the gearbox control unit behind the kick panel on the drivers side. Replaced multiplug and cleaned out ecu with electrical contact cleaner and seems to be OK, for now anyway!

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello,
topic: 2007 SL 55 Transmission dipstick measurements
can someone verify the hot & cold, upper and lower limit dimensions from the bottom of the transmission dipstick ....ie; 10mm to 22mm are cold boundaries, and hot oil limits are???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts