Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard the rumor that the first 100 or so SL55's that were released were being recalled and the engine is going to be upgraded to a 500 HP engine now? <br> <br> If so, does anyone know if this will be in the US model as well? I have one coming in August here in the US and cant wait! (Black, Charcoal)<br> <br> Also, for anyone that has ordered an SL55 and customized it with their dealer - did you chose the option of the sun roof ? I thought it was such a waste and while I took every other option, I elected not to take that one.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Turns out the new E Class 55 AMG with the same engine was faster than the SL55 because the car is lighter and more aerodynamic, so to keep the SL at the top of the pile, the engine has been uprated. I don't know if this upgrade applies to the US. I'm sure Mercedes are keen to keep the E55 AMG ahead of the new BMW M5 which will have a V10 engine and that seems to be setting the agenda for some of the other cars as well.<br>
<br>
It is all slightly academic; I can't imagine anyone thinking their SL55 will be slow, the magazines here (UK) are stunned by how quick it is. On real roads, that translates here to peerless overtaking safety and ability rather than outright top speed, given the proliferation of speed cameras.<br>
<br>
As for options, the panorama roof is not on the options list in the UK, but I never liked the glass roof on the R129 very much.<br>
<br>
I took most of the other options but passed on the Distronic, mainly because I don't like the appearance of the domed Mercedes star in the front grille, behind which sits the radar transmitter/receiver.<br>
<br>
Other options I went for are Parktonic, Keyless Go, Exclusive Leather, Linguatronic, Phone, Comfort Seats (depends on whether you are happy with the perforation of the seat leather needed to make them work).<br>
<br>
The options list is longer in the US because the UK cars have more as standard, at a rather higher list price and taxes. Here, base SL55 price is about $129k, on the road, taxes paid. Mine is coming out including options at about $139k. <br>
<br>
Still, whatever the price is, it's not as bad as Australia where the car costs 50% more...<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The SL55 moves Mercedes into a completely different performance league, comparable to Ferrari and Porsche Turbo and you can be certain that this is going to be one expensive car to maintain properly.<br> <br> The SL55 uses special tyres and much bigger brake pads and discs than the SL500 and all of this is going to cost - expensive components, limited life and limited scale of usage - not much in the way of economies of scale for SL55 engines I'm afraid.<br> <br> You don't get 500 bhp for nothing in the way of fuel consumption and since US gas is lower octane than we have in the UK (but much, much cheaper - we pay $5+ a gallon), I think the fuel comsumption figures are going to be eye-watering, especially if you tap into that performance as AMG intended.<br> <br> Overall, I'm expecting my SL55 to be more expensive to maintain that my Ferrari F355, because I will do more miles in it and that makes it much more expensive than my SL600.<br> <br> But, you only live once, can't take it with you, so why not??

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. It is very informative. What is Linguatronic? That was not an option for me when I customized mine.<br> <br> The only options were:<br> Panorama Roof<br> Distronic<br> Parktronic<br> Keyless Go<br> Phone<br> Which Rims - 5 spoke or multi-spoke<br> Tire Pressure Reader<br> <br> I had read the same information regarding the E55 so that is why I presumed the information Re: the upgrade to the SL55 was true.<br> <br> I am trying to see if my dealer can arrange with Mercedes to have the limiter taken off - otherwise for us in the US, it is limited at 155 instead of the 208 which I have heard it will reach.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since it will be a true sports car the likes of Ferrari and Porsche, I am sure there will be issues like you pointed out but they are not too significant.<br> <br> I am not sure about in the UK, but in the US the car comes with a full maintenance program as part of a lease - not sure if the same holds true on a buy. Oil changes, fluids, tire rotation, etc. are all covered. <br> <br> I will be using my car mostly on weekends but not as an everyday car per se. I have already been told that I will probably be able to get $50-$75k over sticker (I am fortunate enough to be getting it at List.<br> <br> What octane grades do you use in the 355? We have 92 and recently I have seen 93 but it is hard to find.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New SL500s are being advertised at up to 50% over list price here, not sure what the deal price is. I approached one for an SL500 (list £68k = $99k). He wanted £100k = $146k for it. The SL55 is not available here yet (August) but I'm sure the premium available will be bigger. The Mercedes dealers have a stated preference to supplying cars to people who will not sell them on, they do after all have no contractual commitment to supply in the order people expressed interest. As someone who would sell his grandmother (if she were still alive) before his SL55, this arrangement suits me just fine.<br>
<br>
If I look at my service costs for my SL600, it's tyres, brakes and discs which are the biggest service costs because I've only ever had to replace one non-standard service part and things like oil changes are not expensive - the cars are well made.<br>
<br>
I do not know whether leasing will include these items, but if so, you can be sure the leasing cost will take them into account. Depends of course a lot on what kind of driving you're doing. Regular freeway driving is kind to brakes and tyres but these are not the roads which will show an SL55 at its best.<br>
<br>
I find alloy wheels are the least durable part of a modern car, no matter how careful you are and how often you clean them, they pick up stone chips, corrosion sets in and starts lifting the lacquer. I therefore buy an extra set, change all the tyres at the same time onto the new wheels and have the old wheels refurbished while they are 'resting', ready for their next turn.<br>
<br>
I get about 12000 miles from a set of tyres and pads, maybe 20000 from a set of discs.<br>
<br>
For a 355, the biggest standard maintenance expense is having the cam belts replaced every 3 years, irrespective of how many miles you cover. They cost maybe $50 each but it's an engine-out job to replace them and the bill is more than $3000 by the time you're done, including an engine oil and filter change while you're at it.<br>
<br>
I do not cover many miles in it - maybe 2500 a year - but I'm sure if I covered the average miles in it, the servicing costs would escalate. Ferraris are simply not made for day-in day-out motoring.<br>
<br>
Standard unleaded here is 95 octane and there are 2 additional grades, Super Plus which is 97 and one by Shell called Optimax which I believe is 98, though not available everywhere. Certainly makes a difference when you put the higher octane in, but it will depend on what the car is setup to run on. The SL600 uses 95 as standard, and the Ferrari 97. The higher octane fuels are about 10% more expensive than the 95 octane, but they're also about 3 times the price of gas in the US.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the response.<br> <br> I have an S55 right now and so far its been pretty good to me - I had some problems early on with the Air conditioning and the dreaded windshield wipers but other than that, nothing too bad - I have had brakes re-adjusted and I like to clean the exhaust out once every 4 months because of build up. <br> <br> As it relates to the mark up of the SL500's, here some dealers are taking the cars right to Auction because of the premiums being paid. Like you, I may consider selling my grandmother, but will not sell my SL55. Its one of those cars that has the potential to retain or possibly even appreciate in value depending on what Mercedes decides as it relates to production and quantity. Last I heard, 4,000 were going to be made for 2003 model year.<br> <br> Did you get the stainless steel interior or the Burlnut wood? I opted for the wood over the steel look because I felt it may diminsh the look - plus it scratches too easily and retains visible dirt and wear. <br> <br> Also, what is Linguatronic? That was not an option for me over here in the US.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the UK, only the aluminium is available on the SL55, no wood finishes, though I think it would be possible to change it, however the fascia parts are incredibly expensive. I though about replacing the centre console in my SL600 and it was nearly $1000 US. In the end, I had a French polisher deal with the scratch.<br>
<br>
The aluminium trim in the Ferrari 360 Modena is said to scratch very easily, particularly from shoes while getting in an out on the doors. There isn't that problem but aluminium is very soft.<br>
<br>
The other issue is whether to go for the exclusive leather option. There's no doubt it's better quality which puts in on a similar level to Bentley, Aston Martin, Ferrari but it's also said to be less hard wearing. I've chosen this as an option but have my doubts for an everyday car. <br>
<br>
Linguatronic is voice activation for functions like a built in phone and the CD player. It's only available with the Nokia phone installation so maybe that's the restriction.<br>
<br>
I've also confirmed the special roof is not available in the UK and I've looked on the German web-site and German option list and it's not there either, so maybe it's an option for the US only.<br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Linguatronic is called VCS in the USA and is dealer fitted (i.e they put the phone and voice recognition wiring in place for all US cars so dealer can easily plug the stuff in)<br> <br> Mark, have you got a production date for your car yet. I have for mine (2nd decade (10 days) of June) - ive gone for dark blue with light grey interior, plus designo alacantara roof lining. I too found that the glass roof (option 415) was not avaialble in UK, and in fact I watched my dealer entering the spec into the MB extranet - and there was no option 415.<br> The designo will delay the arrival of the car. Im worried that the german union strikes will delay it more though :-(<br> <br> I didnt do exclusive leather, because i had the nappa leather in my CLK55, and it marked badly where I once knealt on a seat when reaching across.<br> <br> Replacing the Aluminium should be easy, and I imagine you could sell the aluminium to someone who wanted it (its is only available on the SL55) on ebay/mbnz/mbworld - I was going to order designo stone, and decided if I hate the aluminium I may replace it. Parts are far cheaper in European dealers :-(<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speed Limiter

While the car is capable of going 208, no comany makes road tires that can go that fast on such a heavy car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got my SL55 on march and the dealer called two weeks ago to bring my car to them because there is a recall. I checked the list of the parts which they will change it.<br> 1. Engine polly<br> 2. Engine Controle Unite<br> 3. Some eletrical wires.<br> and 4 others parts which I dont remember.<br> <br> I asked the Manger if there is any upgrade in the power and he said that there is no changes.<br> <br> after I got my car back I drove it and I cant tell if there is any diffrent because when ever I race other cars I cick their asses before and after the recall

1 - 13 of 13 Posts