Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes SL500 R129
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
world I have an issue with my SL 500 recently the car seemed to be stuck on Neutral or something it will go from park and switch to other gears but it won’t pick them up it will just rev I did some research here and some people said to change the transmission fluid and filter and that might work I did that but no help under the car I realized the bushings were missing from both front and back so I replaced them and a clip due to one being broke well I thought I had fixed the problem but nope not it either need some advise or ideas I really don’t want to take it to the shop I’m more of a DIY person but if I have to I will take it to a SHOP please help out

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,138 Posts
From your avatar I assume you have a R129 so I moved this from the R/C107.

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
150 Posts
Hi, if you don't have any linkage between engine and wheels, this typically is related to a problem with the main oilpump.
Of course it can have minor causes as well.
If not: That's not a typical DIY-job .

·
Registered
1995 SL320, 1995 SL500, 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
989 Posts
...my SL 500 recently the car seemed to be stuck on Neutral or something it will go from park and switch to other gears but it won’t pick them up it will just rev...
Just to be clear that I understand the "it will go from park and switch to other gears" part:

If you move shifter to 3 or 2 or B, does the car move at all?
If you shift you lever to R - does it move at all?

Or regardless of the shifter lever position NOTHING happens?

Regards,
D

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes SL500 R129
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to be clear that I understand the "it will go from park and switch to other gears" part:

If you move shifter to 3 or 2 or B, does the car move at all?
If you shift you lever to R - does it move at all?

Or regardless of the shifter lever position NOTHING happens?

Regards,
D
No sir, if I step on the break it will let me switch to R-D-2-3 but nothing happens it will just ReV but the car won’t move I figured the shifter might of been bad so I bought a new one the shifter feels amazing but the car still won’t do anything I notice the other day the transmission kick down solenoid is super loose doesn’t seem normal to me, im a new owner so not too familiar with the vehicle yet anything helps thanks

·
Registered
560SL '88 Suzuki GS1000E '78
150 Posts
Hi. Sorry, but your car may have a bigger problem - probably the connection between torque converter and main oil pump. A well known issue.
Maybe the previous owner removed the transmission and made a mistake during installation, that's a typical reason why this problem occurs frequently.

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes SL500 R129
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That’s terrible sounds like an expensive and long job I’m taking it to a mechanic next week hopefully he can help me for a reasonable price

·
Registered
1995 SL320, 1995 SL500, 1998 C280, 2004 E500 4matic
989 Posts
Hi. Sorry, but your car may have a bigger problem - probably the connection between torque converter and main oil pump...
I would have to agree, based on your description, if the gear lever moves, particularly inside the gear box, and is engaging the valve body, there is a bigger problem.

Good luck,
D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts