Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front tires are wearing quicker around the edges than in the center. I constantly check my tire pressures, and am currently even running 5 lbs over recommended to try to even out the wear (which, BTW, takes away a lot of the ride/handling qualities). I do have oversized tires (245/40/18).

My mechanic tells me he sees this often, but I don't know if this is typical of SL's, typical of SL's with oversized tires, or just my problem.

Anyone else out there with tire wear problems on their SL?

·
Registered
'05 SL65 AMG
505 Posts
I get the same thing. It is mostly due to my driving habits and the fact that I can't rotate my tires front to back. I have a SL600 Sport with AMG wheels which have 275/35/ZR18'S in the back and 245/40/ZR18 in the front. You can have the tires dismounted and switched from side to side. There would be no adverse affect on the tire as long as you maintain the direction of rotation. All speed rated tires have arrows indicating direction of rotation anyway. Most tires for these cars don't last more than 30K miles anyway unless you drive in a straight line at 30mph [:)]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts