Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SL500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A quick question to SL500 owners re the standard low profile performance tires provided on 2005 models - how much of an issue are potholes? I'm about to purchase my first SL500 and live in the NYC suburbs. Am I destined to replace tires and rims because of the poor roads or is this a non-issue?

·
Registered
2005 SL500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any advice on bad road conditions and the sl500 would be greatly appreciated. Help me out please. Mark

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
Let just say tires and wheels don't like pot holes, period. You just have to try your best not to hit them. Having said that, authentic AMG wheels (even for 18" low profile tires) hold up pretty well. Go with what you'd like, paying a bit more worths it.

·
Registered
2005 RENNtech SL600
195 Posts
Well I live where you do and I've never had serious tire or rim dammage as a reslut of pot holes. But listen dude, you have to watch more carefully where you go when you drive this car! From cruising to parking and everything in between, you have to watch it all!!! so, get used to it right now so that it becomes imbeded into your subconcious mind and becomes second nature. Such are the burdens of the high-end auto owner. Be glad to bear such burdens and enjoy!! Good luck!

·
Registered
2005 SL500
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the words of advice. Good to hear that the tires are not a major issue...and I'll watch carefully. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was offered "wheel protection" when I bought my car. It was around $600, but they will replace or repair the wheels in case of road hazard damage.

I think it is a lot cheaper than a new wheel in case of a pot hole [8D]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts