Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I live in the UK and have owned an SL500 for a few years now. It is safe to say that I do love the SL, I own a 2003 model with all the usual refinements found on the SL class.

However there is a HUGE fly in the ointment regarding the beautiful design of this car......some fool designed the fuel tank with what is effectively a tall long very thin shard of metal acting as a "fuel baffle" or for want of a better phrase "something to stop the fuel sloshing about"

The problem is, the thin "shard" of metal is very poorly welded in the fuel tank and has shown stress fractures almost in the first year of manufacture and certainly after 2 or more years. The problem is, that all owners of 2002 on SL500 (and 350) up to only quite recently can almost certainly expect a £2,500 bill for what is ALMOST CERTAINLY A RECALL !!!!!

It is almost criminal that people have been paying Mercedes benz money to correct a dangerous design fault. Why is this allowed to continue ????

·
Outstanding Contributor Always Remembered RI
52,804 Posts
Welcome to Benzworld. Please complete your profile as this will help members give you the most accurate answer to your questions. Location is also important when we need to help you find parts etc. This forum is for introductions only and all questions should be posted on the appropriate sub forum for your car.

To edit your profile simply click on quick links “edit profile” (quick links is top Right of the page)

At the bottom of the page you will find forum jump, click on this and view all the available sub forums and there you will find the technical forum for your car.

For FAQ see the Benzworld help section here:
BenzWorld Help - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum
Benzworld help is for general enquires and all technical questions should be posted on the specific forum for your car. If you are not sure which forum it should be on then please ask me and I will give you a link.

Regards

·
Registered
83 Posts
you can fix it, i have fixed 3, from inside the sender unit hole, using long pliers, wire, mirrors, torch etc, I am doing another this weekend, i may take pics and post

sam

1 - 3 of 3 Posts