Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an SL 500 and noticed that there is a slight "clunk" coming from the driveline when I decelerate, just before coming to a stop. I asked the mechanic about this when I had the car cheched out before I bought it and he said that many SL's do that. I'm not sure I believe him. Either way, the car is under warranty for the next 3yr/36K, but I'm wondering if I should take it into MB for their opinion. Anyone elses SL do this?

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
I have a '94 SL500, and it does indeed sometimes make a "clung" when I take my foot off th...

I have a '94 SL500, and it does indeed sometimes make a "clung" when I take my foot off the gas after accelerating hard. (It's not as much a sound, but rather a feel.) The same thing happens when I accelerate hard and it switches the lower gears. It always seems to happen when it quickly switched gears, and did not seem to come from the differential.

I thought it was just simply a quick, non-slipping shift from one gear of the automatic transmission. (I prefer it over "slipping" between gears.)

·
Registered
92 300E
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Mine is more of a feel than a sound as well. Only happens when d...

Thanks for the reply. Mine is more of a feel than a sound as well. Only happens when decelarating, when coming to a stop, right before actually stopping. Seems like it happens when the trans is downshifting back to first. Tired the S/W switch in the "W" position which should theoretically not let the trans shift into 1st gear but it made no difference. ALso happens more when coming down after accelerating hard. Does not happen if I brake really gently and come to a stop gently.

As soon as my warranty kicks in I will have it checked out and post what I find. Hope it doesn't leave me stranded somewhere in the meantime!!

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
What you're feeling sounds like a little play in the u-joints. If it is, I'd be surprised ...

What you're feeling sounds like a little play in the u-joints. If it is, I'd be surprised if it's covered by the warranty, since it's a normal wear and tear item. (No need to worry... it also won't leave you stranded.)

·
Registered
SL500
56 Posts
Here's another possibility

From a MB service bulletin... "A knocking noise from the rear of the vehicle during light braking may occur between four and seven mph. The probable cause is rear axle height reduction valve generated hydraulic pulses, heard through the metal oil line attached to its HA port. To eliminate this condition, install a high pressure expansion hose to absorb the pulse noise between the Y36/6 valve and the metal line leading to the rear axle circuit." Not sure if it's the noise you're hearing...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts