Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in knowing the thoughts of those who have owned the SL. I am interested in buying a SL500 here in Vancouver, BC. Canada. Prices are about the same now as a new SUV for the 92/93 years.<br> <br> Anything I show be aware of when buying one? What to look for?<br> <br> I have owned a 230slk and found it small inside. I am 6'3'.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For a 10 year old car, it's condition will depend completely on how much care and attention the car has received and the condition of the paintwork, interior and wheels will tell you a lot. These cars pick up stone chips around the top of the radiator grill and you may need to do some paintwork, so chose a colour which is less of a problem with colour matching than, say, silver.<br> <br> It will probably have lots of miles on it which not a problem in itself if the car has been properly maintained. If it hasn't or if there's any oil smoke, or clonking from the transmission, walk away. MB parts can be expensive and you do not want to be in a position of neeing to replace anything in the drive chain. SL's need new brake discs and pads regularly - it's alot of car you are stopping - and the exhaust system may well be nearing the end of its life. Check the soft-top condition, especially for leaks and the condition of the plastic rear window which will show how often the car has been through a mechanical car wash.<br> <br> If the car has the original MB wheels, they are likely to be shot from brake dust corrosion, so budget on a new set or having the existing ones refurbished. New standard wheels (non-AMG) are not expensive and of course there are all kinds of non-MB wheels available, most of which will seriously call you good taste into question!<br> <br> Servicing costs for seemingly minor faults can, however, be expensive. I have an SL600 with adaptive damping and paid $1200 two months ago for the control valve which manages it all to be replaced. The part sits in your hand, but costs $900.<br> <br>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts