Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Mercedes SL320 Edition 2000
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

We have had a new arrival in the household in the form of ... Nope not a new Benz... but delightfully a daughter and our first child for the Mrs and i.
As a result i have had orders to sell the SL.

Luckily for me and after 4 weeks of hard persuasion i have convinced the Mrs that i would put the car into storage until we can afford a bigger house.
Anyhow to cut a long story short found a great vehicle storage company that will take care of the car, starting and rolling it once a month and keeping the battery/engine and all electrical working.

The 2 questions i have are quite simple and was hoping someone can help me with this.

1. Any tips on what to look out for in medium/long term storage. Oil leaks, rust etc etc

2. The storage company will be insuring me car and want to know the value of it. Whats a 2001, SL320 Edition with 35K on the clock worth???

Much appreciated.

K

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
Hello all,

We have had a new arrival in the household in the form of ... Nope not a new Benz... but delightfully a daughter and our first child for the Mrs and i.
As a result i have had orders to sell the SL.

Luckily for me and after 4 weeks of hard persuasion i have convinced the Mrs that i would put the car into storage until we can afford a bigger house.
Anyhow to cut a long story short found a great vehicle storage company that will take care of the car, starting and rolling it once a month and keeping the battery/engine and all electrical working.

The 2 questions i have are quite simple and was hoping someone can help me with this.

You could use the Kelly Blue Book website KBB.com..... For value.

Maybe use a gasoline storage/ stablizer additive in the fuel tank?

I'd see if the storage interior has a climate control to keep rust possibilities low?

Rats....... watch out for rats...... eating your undercarriage/ engine wiring?

1. Any tips on what to look out for in medium/long term storage. Oil leaks, rust etc etc

2. The storage company will be insuring me car and want to know the value of it. Whats a 2001, SL320 Edition with 35K on the clock worth???

Much appreciated.

K

You could use the Kelly Blue Book website KBB.com..... For value.

Maybe use a gasoline storage/ stablizer additive in the fuel tank?

I'd see if the storage interior has a climate control to keep rust possibilities low?

Rats....... watch out for rats...... eating your undercarriage/ engine wiring?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
congrats! how long will it be in storage? i'd personally tell them to not touch my car, and would go once a week and start it, let it run for 15-30min. or if you catch a break between snow storms take it out. i know one of my mechanics ceran wraps the car to keep rats/squirrels out. good luck.

·
Registered
'93 SL500 (sold), '88 GMC Sierra 360,000 miles, '86 Yamaha FJ1200 (criminally fast)
770 Posts
put rat traps next to each tire.

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
Congrats on the baby!

put rat traps next to each tire.
:D

I'd tell them not to touch my car. Go over once a week and crank it up and drive it around the parking area they have. (I figure a warehouse/parking garage?) Turn it off, cover it up. You don't even have to go that often unless you miss the car. Battery tender will keep the battery alive and kickin. Don't keep much gas in the car. Maybe 1/4 tank.

How long will it sit?

^ Value = 2 cents.

·
Registered
1988 300E - Diamond Blue, 1997 SL320 - Black Opal
262 Posts
In the long run you will likely be financially further ahead to sell the car now.

The car will not be increasing in value for several years, plus you are paying the monthly storage fees.

How long do you plan on having the car in storage? That will dictate what you need to do, or not do, to the car.

jb

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
In the long run you will likely be financially further ahead to sell the car now.

The car will not be increasing in value for several years, plus you are paying the monthly storage fees.

How long do you plan on having the car in storage? That will dictate what you need to do, or not do, to the car.

jb
The value of a roadster is the since its going into winter it would be stupid to sell now

·
Registered
1999 SL500 Sport, Black Opal Pearl, Helios Leather, Pano roof, AMG Aero2 18"Split Rims, Rear Seats
1,212 Posts
A UK based price guide gives 10500 retail, 8500 pounds private. With low miles a top condition should be the top figure at least for insurance
You should adjust your valuation to allow for extras that were not standard specification.

And the price guide included this..........

The long-running SL first seen in 1989 was an old-school luxury soft-top by the time its graceful replacement arrived in 2002. It's no less a car for that, as it bears the hallmark of true quality as well as delivering performance and refinement matched by few of its contemporaries. The wide, low-slung SL is in its element wafting along sun-washed boulevards - think California or Cote d'Azur. But the precisely engineered power hood is one of the best; it's sufficiently well insulated to make SL a refined all-weather car for Britain's unpredictable climate. The cabin is a cosseting cocoon with superb seats. Even the SL280 provides stress-free long-distance motoring provided you don't demand the kind of surging acceleration offered by the V8 SL500. Ride is unflustered by poor surfaces and very stable at speed. The driver always feels in control thanks to excellent roadholding, firm body control and accurate steering.

·
Registered
Mercedes SL320 Edition 2000
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry about the late reply. My little lady (of 9 months now) has been keeping me ever so busy hence being off the forum radar. Just to recap, I had my orders from the Mrs to sell the SL320 with the arrival of our new daughter. I convinced her that it would be better to put the car into storage (as we have limited space outside our house for 3 cars).

The SL320 finally did go into storage with a great company called Premier Vehicle Storage in Bristol, Clive the owner is a great chap and ever so pleasant to deal with. Prices are reasonable depending on what package you opt for and I decided to go with the Air Chamber option. What is great about PVS is that insurance is provided with the package and your car is maintained while in storage.

I failed to mention that prior to the car going into storage i was parked in the town centre in High Wycombe only for a Ford Transit to reverse into me. The damage was a few scuffs and a minor dent to the bonnet. Fortunately the other driver's insurance covered the fix and i also took the opportunity to give every panel a respray in the original Designo Blue at small additional cost! ;-)

Autodex in Slough were recommended by MB of Slough as they do all their bodywork and the previous owner of the SL320 had taken the car there for minor cosmetic work in the past so i was confident they were up to the job.

Fast forward 4 weeks later and i was reunited with my SL320. The poor rust repairs applied by the previous owner on the hardtop and indicator area had been professionally repaired and repainted as had any scratch, blemish and mark on every panel. After inspection the paint job was flawless, and i challenge anyone to find any faults!

I paid a recent visit to PVS last month in Bristol to see if my Mamas & Papas baby seat would fit in the SL like it does in the 911 (which it successfully did) and it left me thinking of a few options…

1. Get the car out of storage and use it (will need to sell the 911, anyone interested?)

2. Sell up hoping to make my money back (which is around 17k with the car, respray and brakes/tyres )

3. Keep the car in storage as prices will slowly appreciate and this is by far one of the best condition/low mileage SL320 Editions in the UK

Values are still low on these R129's but i feel this will change in the next few years with the new SL being released soon… Pics attached...

KMA

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts