Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always liked the SL and recently purchased a 96 SL280 from the UK.Living near the sea with many tight twisty roads i was not too fussed about heaps of horsepower and thought that the six would suit me best and was also cheaper to purchase. Have i bought a slouch? Any feedback much appreciated.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have a 99 SL500 and my g/fri has a 98 SL280. The main advanatge of the SL280 is the fuel economy in comparison to the V8s. To be honest with you the SL280 is a little underpowered for a sports car and my g/f only bought it due to insurance companies declining/or wanting rediculous premiums to insure her on the SL500, due to her past track record!!!<br> <br> Alot of other cars i.e. BMWs I have found from expereince when driving the SL280 are up for races and tailgate alot because they know that the car is underpowered!!! - But remember that these cars have a high image though. <br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The acceleration specs I've seen say 9.3 sec 0-100 for the manual and 9.5 sec for the auto, with top speeds of 225 and 230 respectively.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not how fast it goes, it's how good you look in it!...The Sl is , of course, not a sports car, it's a 'sporty' car. SL's are heavy and relatively under-powered. They may not tear up the quarter, but they turn heads on the corner...

·
Registered
w140 300TD
6 Posts
If you drive a SL just to cruise a 280 is more than enough 0-100 km/h in 9.8 sec...

If you drive a SL just to cruise a 280 is more than enough 0-100 km/h in 9.8 sec

1 - 7 of 7 Posts