Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 SL600
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an intermitent starting problem on my 1992 600 SL. :crybaby2: Sometimes it starts fine and other times nothing happens. The only light that comes on is the SRS light... but not always. I cleaned all the contacts on the ignition switch, but they didn't look bad at all. The car has only 25,000 miles on it.

Its seems to make a different (sometimes) to move the seat back. Could that have something to do with it?

I checked all the fuses and other obvious connections. Is there a relay somewhere that could be loose? Does anyone really know? I've heard of others having this type of problem.

Everything on the car looks like new. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
00 SL500 SOLD, 05 SL600 Sport, 09 Silverado 4x4 LTZ,SOLD '15Silverado LTZ 6.2 8Speed John Deere 318
1,781 Posts
The next time it won't start, leave the key on and pull the shift lever down into Neutral and try it again. Did it start??? If so the saftey switch is bad or needs ajustment, If it does not help???? I'm LOST!!!!!!!!!!! Good Luck!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Also check your battery and make sure your terminals are clean with no corrosion. Sounds like your not getting enough juice to the starter. Good Luck and let us know what the fix was.

·
Registered
2.5-16 (1990) SL500 (2000)
84 Posts
I have this problem and I have found out what I did to cause it.

Don't kneel on the passenger seat EVER.

There is a relatively fragile sensor under the seat cushion used to detect if there is a passenger so that the airbag only deploys if needed.

If you kneel on the passenger seat it is quite easy to damage the sensor.

Depending on how it is damaged
- all ok if passenger seated (most of the time)
- SRS light intermittant if no passenger (sometimes goes off after 5-10 min driving)

I wish this had been made clear when I first got the car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts